Sonic Models OO Gauge Robinson A5

Paul.Uni

Excellent, and delighted to see that both original pre-Grouping and transitional early Grouping liveries are to be produced.

Not a main area of interest, but I do have an Improved Director in GC livery, so will be delighted to add a GC 9N to my collection of locomotives I one day must build coaches for!

Well done Sonic.

EDIT: Ordered!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well, I'm going to say it (with some justification I think) - please Sonic, add this to your N gauge range asap!  As everyone knows, there's been lots of comment about the complete lack of LNER tank locos in N, which Sonic responded to by announcing the J50. 

However, the J50s were never, or very rarely, "train-hauling" locos, being used primarily for yard shunting and station pilot work. 

The A5, on the other hand, perfect!  The GCR batch used on the routes out of Marylebone, and also in the West Riding, and out of Kings Cross and, in BR days, in Lincolnshire, Hull and around Manchester.  The LNER-built batch used in the north-east on all the routes radiating from Darlington & Newcastle, and in Br days also around Hull and (briefly) on trains from Liverpool Street.  In the absence of a V1/V3 in N the A5 is the nearest you can get to an "all areas" LNER big tank (for the English divisions anyway.) 

It's always been a mystery to me why Langley did their kit for the similar, but very geographically-restricted, GCR L1 when if they wanted a "no outside motion" tank loco the A5 was there for the asking.  And the Graham Hughes kit in N for the A5 is like hens teeth on eBay.

Please Sonic - apply the shrink ray!

Richard   

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

I'm not entirely sure where to put this topic. But there is a new announcement at Midday today from Sonic Models of a loco in OO gauge.

...nice film clip of an exNER A8 at Picton (does this mean we're going to get one of them next?)

• Like 2

Good choice of loco, and glad it doesn't sound like one of these 10-year waits the RTR industry seems to moving towards with announcements.  

On first impression, only one negative point on these sample locos - the bunker coal rails seem to be liable to warp?  Perhaps fixed by the production version, or possibly even prototypical!  Would be nice to know which/how many wheels it picks up on, and what type of decoder socket it takes.

But I won't decide yes/no until I know the price!

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Michael Hodgson said:

Good choice of loco, and glad it doesn't sound like one of these 10-year waits the RTR industry seems to moving towards with announcements.  

On first impression, only one negative point on these sample locos - the bunker coal rails seem to be liable to warp?  Perhaps fixed by the production version, or possibly even prototypical!  Would be nice to know which/how many wheels it picks up on, and what type of decoder socket it takes.

Look back .£149.95 ….£30 deposit on order. Well done also to RoS who are now the go to retailer for innovative choice. How many exclusives are there now on their order books ? 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Well done Sonic and Rails . Good prototype and one I dont think is likely to be duplicated .  If the Rails Cost of £149.95 confirmed , seems reasonable price too for what is a large tank engine .

It is interesting to see the way the OO market is evolving with lots of smaller manufacturers nibbling away at what was once thought of as being the big 2s market .  Interesting as well that its available through a retailer that doesnt stock Hornby . I have a feeling there will be more of this from Rails/ Hattons and Hornby may have shot themselves in the foot by inadvertently encouraging competition.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Interesting.  I hadn't thought about an A5 before as they disappeared from my area in the early post war era.  However, am seriously considering one of these being drafted back to Neasden shed to cover other loco failures on the ex-GCR route.

one will be winging it's way to Woodford Halse too. Can they do an L3 next? Please?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Next18 by the look of it. https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/sonic-announce-oo-robinson-lner-class-a5?fbclid=IwAR06dAhx18RwCZUI1QKxpqp6urdhNTTIdb8rHeUCLGZM2uLTMvYdgp2rwWE

• Thanks 1

Yes, well done for Rails, and I note they've taken on the Planet Industrials Kerr Stuart Victory, another excellent choice.

The Rails site has the graphics for all the versions of the 9N/A5 to be produced.  I particularly like these two:

1141590193_Class9N.png.7ba04ae3b19388a71d8ea9987ca7df9a.png

538699452_ClassA5.png.6eb2a01eda9310ae77fa6c9476345968.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Legend said:

I have a feeling there will be more of this from Rails/ Hattons and Hornby may have shot themselves in the foot by inadvertently encouraging competition.

If competitors keep doing things like this they can shoot themselves in as many feet as they like.

I thought I was spent up for 2021, so this will have to go against 2022...

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Well, I'm going to say it (with some justification I think) - please Sonic, add this to your N gauge range asap!  As everyone knows, there's been lots of comment about the complete lack of LNER tank locos in N, which Sonic responded to by announcing the J50. 

However, the J50s were never, or very rarely, "train-hauling" locos, being used primarily for yard shunting and station pilot work. 

Richard   

I beg to differ. Used for cross London freight trains replacing the GNR J52s.

Intended for the West Riding, the initial J50 and J51 allocations were to Ardsley, Bradford, and Copley Hill. These engines were used for local goods and coal workings, with shunting at intermediate yards. There were also used for shunting the larger West Riding marshalling yards. During the 1920s, they were also occasionally used for passenger work, and for banking duties.

In 1952, thirty J50s were allocated to Hornsey to work transfer trips to the Southern Region. These engines also occasionally worked on empty coach workings between Hornsey and Kings Cross.

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j50j51.php

Jason

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Lastbroadcast said:

I have never pre-ordered anything so quickly in my life. Even made me end my run of lurking! 

Yep, normally I mull it over a bit before ordering.  This time I was in like Flint!

And not the usual long lead time. 

A very welcome turn to my day!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

Just preordered mine even the number matches the one I want to model, here is the real one at Aylesbury, just wonder how easy it will be to convert to P4 

A5 in Aylesbury.jpg

that's really helpful for me actually - I'm a bit further up the LE but at least I know it wasn't a Hull loco in early BR livery days now!

6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Yep, normally I mull it over a bit before ordering.  This time I was in like Flint!

And not the usual long lead time. 

A very welcome turn to my day!

For a brief moment I thought the itchy trigger finger was a side effect of the second Pfizer dose. Further investigations confirmed that big green tank engines pulling teak suburbans can cause uncontrollable side effects. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

16 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

An excellent and clever choice, which delights me. I hope it will be possible to remove what I assume will be moulded coal and add real coal. There seems to be no stopping Rails these days. Good for them!

Not a Rails model though, they're just selling them.

It's a Sonic model.

Jason

• Agree 1

I don’t remember the last time I was this excited after an announcement, I wasn’t expecting anything like this at all. 

Not to be too repetitive but lovely lovely prototype at a fantastic price, what more can one ask for?! I am rather stunned by the price actually, maybe costs aren’t rising as dramatically as we are being led to believe?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1