Sonic Models OO Gauge Robinson A5

Paul.Uni

10 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not a Rails model though, they're just selling them.

It's a Sonic model.

Jason

Understood. A Rails exclusive, though, which put me in mind of Rails recent cornering of the PI Victory, as Edwardian mentioned. Rails is selling the A5s/9Ns. I’m buying (a couple of) them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Otis JB said:

I am rather stunned by the price actually, maybe costs aren’t rising as dramatically as we are being led to believe?

Or Sonic have lower overheads than Bachmann and Hornby?

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how the two big names respond to the likes of Sonic, Revolution, Accurascale etc over the next year or two.

Steven B.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Well I have pre-ordered two. :boast:

The fun starts now; trying to find photos of any locos other than 69820 (which is the rtr version announced) that gained a late BR crest before being withdrawn. 

18 minutes ago, Otis JB said:

I don’t remember the last time I was this excited after an announcement, I wasn’t expecting anything like this at all. 

Not to be too repetitive but lovely lovely prototype at a fantastic price, what more can one ask for?! I am rather stunned by the price actually, maybe costs aren’t rising as dramatically as we are being led to believe?

I was this excited for the Precedent, but this is actually ok for my line and period whereas Lucknow is a vanity purchase 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I beg to differ. Used for cross London freight trains replacing the GNR J52s.

Yep, my bad: forgot about the Hornsey trip workings. BR-era not my area of interest is my excuse.  

Just ordered an A5 even though it’s 7.5mm overgauge and twice scale length for my modelling. Got to encourage the new firms!

RT

Edited by RichardT

1 hour ago, Blue Max said:

Is the tooling based on the original Gorton build engines or the later ones ordered by the LNER to the narrower loading gauge across the tanks, cab and bunker. 

What are the actual differences ( Sizes etc) between the A5/1 which these appear to be (the LNER versions are both listed using GCR build numbers), and the later A5/2 used in the NER area ? . Please .

2 minutes ago, micklner said:

What are the actual differences ( Sizes etc) between the A5/1 which these appear to be (the LNER versions are both listed using GCR build numbers), and the later A5/2 used in the NER area ? . Please .

I've seen it claimed elsewhere that the 1925 batch had lower domes and Gresley-style chimneys.

Also does anyone know whether these ventured north of Darlington in the LNER days? 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Well done Sonic and Rails . Good prototype and one I dont think is likely to be duplicated .  If the Rails Cost of £149.95 confirmed , seems reasonable price too for what is a large tank engine .

It is interesting to see the way the OO market is evolving with lots of smaller manufacturers nibbling away at what was once thought of as being the big 2s market .  Interesting as well that its available through a retailer that doesnt stock Hornby . I have a feeling there will be more of this from Rails/ Hattons and Hornby may have shot themselves in the foot by inadvertently encouraging competition.

Indeed. Though Bachmann are still very much in the frame as far as Rails are concerned. Hornby? It would be nice to think that “lessons have been learned “ .We live eternally in hope…..but not holding our breath.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, James Harrison said:

The issue with that is that Hatton's GCR carriages are in the early livery (1899- circa 1903).  Whereas the Coronation Tanks entered service 1911. 

An avenue that I thought worth exploring.Until you realise there’s a chronological mismatch. A pity.

The GCR livery has always been an attractive pre-grouping livery IMO. 

with regards to the model in GCR green but with L&NER does anyone have any idea what timeframe it would have appeared like this? I’m naturally assuming post grouping but intrigued how long it would have lasted before a re-paint into LNER livery. 

As a side, whilst acknowledging they ran ex Marylebone would they have appeared on the non electrified Met route taking over from electric traction at Harrow or later Rickmansworth? 

Just now, RateTheFreight said:

The GCR livery has always been an attractive pre-grouping livery IMO. 

with regards to the model in GCR green but with L&NER does anyone have any idea what timeframe it would have appeared like this? I’m naturally assuming post grouping but intrigued how long it would have lasted before a re-paint into LNER livery. 

As a side, whilst acknowledging they ran ex Marylebone would they have appeared on the non electrified Met route taking over from electric traction at Harrow or later Rickmansworth? 

Granted it's a different class, but I have seen a photo (it appears in Steve Bank's book on LNER train formations) of a GCR 4-4-0 in pregrouping livery as late as 1926. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

An avenue that I thought worth exploring.Until you realise there’s a chronological mismatch. A pity.

The Hatton’s coaches are generic anyhow and they do have GCR on their sides. Would that be enough to stretch a point? (Spoken as someone who doesn’t like the idea of generic.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

The Hatton’s coaches are generic anyhow and they do have GCR on their sides. Would that be enough to stretch a point? (Spoken as someone who doesn’t like the idea of generic.)

It is the difference between things run together that are believable and could look convincing and those that are not.

In GCR days, they were principally used on suburban trains out of Marylebone and the GCR was equipped with relatively modern carriage stock for these services by the time the class appeared.

Photos of them hauling any 4 or 6 wheel carriages are not something I recall seeing. Nearly every GCR period photo I have seen of them hauling trains has involved a rake of contemporary matchboarded teak liveried bogie vehicles. It made for a very smart looking train.

They migrated onto local services later and were common on services around Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire in later LNER and early BR days but in GCR times, they were not really branch line locos at all and unless you are modelling the London end of the line to Marylebone, you will need to invoke Rule 1. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

They migrated onto local services later and were common on services around Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire in later LNER and early BR days but in GCR times, they were not really branch line locos at all and unless you are modelling the London end of the line to Marylebone, you will need to invoke Rule 1. 

Or assume that one has failed at Woodford en route to either Gorton or Neasden, and is helping out for a few days on the Banbury service. Which, although I can't prove it, feels like it *should* have happened.... But then my whole line's rule one, assuming as it does that Eydon got a station rather than Woodford!

But I still also want an L3 because that would actually be correct for Woodford in the very early 50s.

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 1

50' bogie coaches seem the most appropriate.  See: Steve Banks

9n_450_ls_1913_5_1333_800_72.jpg.879aa7034329b9edd7d504f4a2c25a51.jpg

Above appears to be a strengthened set, but the basic sets seem originally to have been: Brake Third, Third, First, First, Brake Third. 

Looking at the closely spaced Third Class compartments and the end turn-unders, am I the only one thinking 'Triang Clerestory hack'?

gcr_ls_E5588q_1333_800_72.jpg.6e4338d2784ae1949e54679c710cb84f.jpg

Photographs above from the Steve Banks page

1463236897_1905SuburbanThird.jpg.8d9087e30ae26502917aa2cda8add938.jpg

Photograph above GCR Carriage Trust

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

235902281_10159265642228076_4198589467596092125_n.jpg.e25112480d6a568126824f51bf1b5a82.jpg

Sonic Models has today unveiled its first 4mm locomotive: the imposing and stylish Robinson GCR/LNER 9N/A5 4-6-2T.

CLICK HERE TO PRE ORDER

P1040071.jpg.25635a3d17779eba4309f1568e49c3fd.jpg

The Sonic model will be offered in both original GCR and later LNER versions and features a heavy die-cast chassis, flywheel, Next 18 DCC socket hidden in the cab, sugar cube speaker, NEM coupling pockets, sprung buffers and all models will be supplied with an accessory pack including coal shovel and rake and dummy screw-link couplers.

P1040136.JPG.2a3d8c61c1f2960d5f1316f67b3ab53f.JPG

Detail differences include GCR or LNER dome, whistle and smokebox, 3-rail or 5-rail coal bunker, single or split cab front window, cab-sides open or with windows and smooth or riveted sandbox wrapper.

Livery variations include GCR lined green, GCR lined green with L&NER lettering, LNER lined and unlined black and BR mixed traffic lined black with BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering, early emblem or late crest.BR mixed traffic lined black with early emblem

Tooling is complete and EP samples have been tested. The first decorated model has been received for assessment.

These models are being manufactured in China by Sonic ModelsRails of Sheffield have been appointed the exclusive retailer.

P1040137.JPG.bac6c5a82146ebb190f7d96337b10c84.JPG

The model RRP is priced at £149.95, subject to any changes in currency and conditions between now and production, and is expected to be ready to ship late Q4 2021 / Early Q1 2022.

All models are available to pre-order now with just a £30 deposit. Pre-Ordering is highly recommended.

Sample images of No.5167 have been hand painted

• Like 4

I generally assumed after the 9J/J11 that we would see no more GCR rtr, unless someone felt like doing an A5.....and here we are!  I'm absolutely delighted with this and am hopeful we will see more GCR engines in the future; it certainly seems as if Bachmann are done with this particular railway.

The GCR livery with the L&NER was worn I believe by the group built by the LNER in 1923, a very early transitional livery and like the Bachmann Precedent "Novelty" has been the first time this particular variation has been made in OO, another that can be done is GCR livery with L&NER but retaining the GC numberplate.  5045 in Black and White lining is something I can't recall seeing any mention of before, a rather odd look (can anyone provide more info?).

John Quick discovered at least one painted GCR lined Black as mentioned in his livery book from Lightmoor Press, another Sonic may want to consider in the future.

EDIT: have just noticed the artwork only includes ross pops, please tell me the GC liveries will have the appropriate Ramsbottom arrangement...!

Edited by Synch