Sonic Models OO Gauge Robinson A5

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

Should Sonic models now have their own section in the Trade and Products section of RMweb?  It doesn't seem quite right that, with a significant announcement like this, it appears under Rails headline.

They have now announced two signicant locomotives in the last week or two - n gauge J50 and now this A5: their own listing would bring all their products together under one heading.

No connection to Sonic Models,

John Storey

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, it's-er said:

Should Sonic models now have their own section in the Trade and Products section of RMweb?  It doesn't seem quite right that, with a significant announcement like this, it appears under Rails headline.

They have now announced two signicant locomotives in the last week or two - n gauge J50 and now this A5: their own listing would bring all their products together under one heading.

Interesting question, and really could go either way.

But against Sonic getting it's own section would be that they really aren't fully operating in the UK - both the N J50 and the OO A5 are only available through Rails of Sheffield, and their previous GWR 56xx was only available through Revolution / Rails of Sheffield.

So I could see an argument, given they essentially are offering Rails exclusives, for keeping them in this section (and perhaps moving the N J50 from the Revolution section to the Rails section) and only considering their own section if they get to a point where they offer their products either directly themselves and/or through the general retail trade.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Any one else’s thoughts on the lining in front of the side windows looks wrong on the gcr livery with lner lettering and lined lner livery looks wrong? To me in pictures it should tuck in towards the window to match the lining behind the cab entrance. The squaring up makes it look too black around the cab side to me.

730D8741-88AA-4E70-A7AB-6D732B0343A7.jpeg.f3e065cc5e8fd26660adc7317862fa0b.jpeg

is there a way to contact sonic to see if this is being addressed? 
richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, richard i said:

Any one else’s thoughts on the lining in front of the side windows looks wrong on the gcr livery with lner lettering and lined lner livery looks wrong? To me in pictures it should tuck in towards the window to match the lining behind the cab entrance. The squaring up makes it look too black around the cab side to me.

730D8741-88AA-4E70-A7AB-6D732B0343A7.jpeg.f3e065cc5e8fd26660adc7317862fa0b.jpeg

is there a way to contact sonic to see if this is being addressed? 
richard

You mean “L&NER no6” S4101-02.. yes the lining on it is very “square”, I think its the black on the cab windows that isnt right, but this works picture doesnt suggest GCR red frames either..

(flickr url).

London & North Eastern Railway - LNER Class A5 (ex-Great Central Railway Class 9N) 4-6-2T steam locomotive Nr. 6 (GCR Gorton Works, 1923)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

You mean “L&NER no6” S4101-02.. yes the lining on it is very “square”, I think its the black on the cab windows that isnt right, but this works picture doesnt suggest GCR red frames either..

(flickr url).

London & North Eastern Railway - LNER Class A5 (ex-Great Central Railway Class 9N) 4-6-2T steam locomotive Nr. 6 (GCR Gorton Works, 1923)

As mentioned above that appears to be a photographic grey works shot so not necessarily the same detail on the lining as the working livery. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

As mentioned above that appears to be a photographic grey works shot so not necessarily the same detail on the lining as the working livery. 

True, but why would the LNER outshop in GCR livery ?

The safety valves of the GCR ones arent the same either, 372 was an oil burner for instance, with a circular drum in its bunker.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Without studying several pictures I’d be wary of making the call ;)  Those familiar might know but I’ve found so many variations on the couple of classes I do know well that I’d hope someone’s studied the liveries or based it on a particular photo and number. Doesn’t hurt to ask the questions to Sonic and some may be compromises chosen due to limits on the tools they can afford. 
No doubt there will be people consulting their books to check over the next few days as they hear about these :) 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Without studying several pictures I’d be wary of making the call ;)  Those familiar might know but I’ve found so many variations on the couple of classes I do know well that I’d hope someone’s studied the liveries or based it on a particular photo and number. Doesn’t hurt to ask the questions to Sonic and some may be compromises chosen due to limits on the tools they can afford. 
No doubt there will be people consulting their books to check over the next few days as they hear about these :) 

Agreed,

heres L& NER no6 in service…

not sure i’d call it being indian red frames here.

https://www.steve-banks.org/images/historical/GCLE/neasden/nea_a5_6_c1924_swb_1333_800_72s.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Agreed,

heres L& NER no6 in service…

not sure i’d call it being indian red frames here.

https://www.steve-banks.org/images/historical/GCLE/neasden/nea_a5_6_c1924_swb_1333_800_72s.jpg

True but did it carry Indian red then change to black like the LNER version but retain the & for a period ;) 

Very difficult with theses pre group ones and I’d assume each livery is based on a photo so unless we have that source photo they used to discuss it’s a bit hard to make a call. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I do wish people would stop introducing models of big tank engines because  like big tank engines especially ones I actually saw in traffic but i can't really explain away one of these into a Welsh borders setting - but that's my problem.  As far as the the model goes I think it's a brilliant choice as A5s were impressive looking engines with a real 'presence' and it looks as if the model has captured that accurately.  And they got about somewhat in LNER days (and of course as 'Edwardian' has noted they did get on THE joint line  which could have its attractions with a bit of time warping.

All in all a great choice and I hope it will sell as well as it looks).

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

True but did it carry Indian red then change to black like the LNER version but retain the & for a period ;) 

Very difficult with theses pre group ones and I’d assume each livery is based on a photo so unless we have that source photo they used to discuss it’s a bit hard to make a call. 

True, but then history weighs in..

The picture is dated 1923, its clearly a works photograph.

The loco was built 10th Feb 1923 (2nd new A5 delivered in 1923, the other was Jan 27th, next was 17th March)

The GCR ceased to exist 1st Jan 1923.

So why, would Gorton finish a loco into LNER works grey, then repaint it into GCR livery, then release it ?

Unlike 1948, the LNER seemed to have a livery by Feb 1923.. as your looking at a works photograph of the loco wearing a works grey version of it…

I assume youve got a source for this wearing indian red and not LNER ? - This loco was never actually a GCR owned loco.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

So why, would Gorton finish a loco into LNER works grey, then repaint it into GCR livery, then release it ?

Unlike 1948, the LNER seemed to have a livery by Feb 1923.. as your looking at a works photograph of the loco wearing a works grey version of it…

I assume youve got a source for this wearing indian red and not LNER ? - This loco was never actually a GCR owned loco.

Like I said I don’t know but I’d hope they have some evidence for it ;) 

There are plenty other examples of works doing their own thing right up to BR in the 90’s so in the first year there may well have been a feeling of we will carry on as we are until the LNER issued direct instructions on livery detail not just lettering. 
The loyalty to a previous company and affection for a livery continues to the present day and the BNSF had to issue strict instructions that faded and tatty Santa Fe Warbonnets we’re not to be put on the front of trains! ;) 
As I said above it’s worth asking the question to Sonic and as we’ve seen with Graham’s responses in the LSWR brake van thread there can be a lot of photos or source info out there not published in the well known books. 

• Like 3

Lner was not rich. Finishing paint so not to waste it. There are plenty of photos of gcr livery with l&ner lettering on various classes a5 and d11 especially. 
other than the works grey photo, all other photos people have shown have the small but noticeable curve out towards the top of the window on the lining on the front of the cab side. Both in gcr and lner livery. At a quick glance it might look square but a closer look shows it to not be.

however unless sonic read this thread or anyone knows how to contact them then churning this over will achieve nothing. It is why I have not preordered one. I will just have to decide if it is worth the gamble that it will be right or can I live with the mistake/ alter it myself. 

richard 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, richard i said:

Lner was not rich. Finishing paint so not to waste it.

It's stated in 'GER Album' (Ian Allan) that post 1923 Stratford works continued to paint some locos with GER grey paint until it was all used up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard i said:

It is why I have not preordered one. I will just have to decide if it is worth the gamble that it will be right or can I live with the mistake/ alter it myself. 

richard 

which is absolutely your right as an individual - I on the other hand *have* pre-ordered one because even if there are small mistakes I'll never do better myself in a month of Sundays. 

So in my case, not buying a not-quite-right A5 (if it turns out to be not-quite-right) would be an absolute nose-face-spite-knife interface.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, richard i said:

however unless sonic read this thread or anyone knows how to contact them then churning this over will achieve nothing.

@Warren Rails , Warren are you the best contact or is there another way to share these questions as you posted the exclusive link? Thanks 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a small gripe and probably directed at Rails as much as Sonic, but in a range that covers a number of design variations, which is very good to see of course, it would be nice to also see details of which variations apply to each model in the online listings.  Yes you can guess from the pictures, but livery samples and especially livery diagrams don't always represent the configuration of the finished item.  Certainly not unique to this model, though some manufacturers seem to communicate better than others

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Well I have pre-ordered two. :boast:

The fun starts now; trying to find photos of any locos other than 69820 (which is the rtr version announced) that gained a late BR crest before being withdrawn. 

Yeadon says 69800/1/2/5/6/11/12/14/17/18/19/20/24 got it. None got the corrected version.

• Thanks 1