Sonic Models OO Gauge Robinson A5

Paul.Uni

On 11/08/2021 at 18:28, Revolution Ben said:

Calm down!  He has just announced his second N loco (LNER J50) with a third tooling soon.  Sam (Mr Sonic) has always said he intends to work in both 00 and N...

cheers

So we can only hope number three in N will be the A5 - the J50 doesn't do it for me, but I'd snap up an N version of this in a heartbeat

21 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

It wouldn't have been my first choice (a J69 — later, maybe) but I've just pre-ordered a BR early crest one. Leading to thoughts of a Minories somewhere using this and the Hornby L1s… somewhere on ex-GC routes in the Manchester area, perhaps?

This was pretty much my plan until I decided to do something more prototypical. I imagined a Minories-style layout based somewhere in West London, which would be an imagined suburban terminus extension south from Marylebone. Perhaps it was a legacy of an aborted attempt at Watkin's envisaged North-South 'continental connection' that got stopped due to WWI? I imagined Suburban trains would run through to it a bit like the services using the GNR's  'Widened lines'. Basically, an excuse to build 'Marylebone light' in a cutting amid the grand architecture of Kensington or Belgravia. I still think as a layout idea it has some merit.

Will

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Forward! said:

This was pretty much my plan until I decided to do something more prototypical. I imagined a Minories-style layout based somewhere in West London, which would be an imagined suburban terminus extension south from Marylebone. Perhaps it was a legacy of an aborted attempt at Watkin's envisaged North-South 'continental connection' that got stopped due to WWI? I imagined Suburban trains would run through to it a bit like the services using the GNR's  'Widened lines'. Basically, an excuse to build 'Marylebone light' in a cutting amid the grand architecture of Kensington or Belgravia. I still think as a layout idea it has some merit.

Will

If you carried on from Marylebone the next logical place to stop would be Marble Arch.

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

I am being idle here, but are any of the current  offerings of North East based locomotives?

Thanks

The models represent the Class A5/1 Gorton built and R/H drive, whereas the Hawthorn built A5/2 variants had R/H drive and were all based the the NE area from the start.  Some of the A5/1's made it "up north" but only in BR days to Hull, Bridlingon and Saltburn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/08/2021 at 12:09, Metr0Land said:

Interesting.  I hadn't thought about an A5 before as they disappeared from my area in the early post war era.  However, am seriously considering one of these being drafted back to Neasden shed to cover other loco failures on the ex-GCR route.

Well what do you know?  Colwick based 69801 (early crest) was temporarily loaned to Neasden in 1956 and put to work on some passenger workings in association with 50th anniversary of opening of GW/GC joint line!  This puts in right in line with my timescale (which is a bit fluid 1956-1961). 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

The models represent the Class A5/1 Gorton built and R/H drive, whereas the Hawthorn built A5/2 variants had R/H drive and were all based the the NE area from the start.  Some of the A5/1's made it "up north" but only in BR days to Hull, Bridlingon and Saltburn.

Thanks Geoff!  My Bank Manager sends his regards, as you have saved me some money ( for now!) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Well what do you know?  Colwick based 69801 (early crest) was temporarily loaned to Neasden in 1956 and put to work on some passenger workings in association with 50th anniversary of opening of GW/GC joint line!  This puts in right in line with my timescale (which is a bit fluid 1956-1961). 

Great, if you can just get it to Woodford Halse for me that would be a huge help!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Helmdon said:

Great, if you can just get it to Woodford Halse for me that would be a huge help!

Undated photo here at Nottingham Victoria.  69801 was at Colwick Jul51-Oct56 and 65018 Jul50-Nov53 if that helps - reasonable to assume 69801 would have visited Woodford Halse in the period Jul51-Nov53.

41152153504_9f3501b987.jpg69801 and 65018 at Nottingham Victoria by stratfordman72, on Flickr

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Helmdon said:

If you carried on from Marylebone the next logical place to stop would be Marble Arch.

I quite like Tyburn Road :butcher:

I'm delighted. Possibly a one-number change might be risked, ideally I would have liked a post-1946 number as well (and I'm a fan of double flywheels in steam models), but I'm probably quibbling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

Undated photo here at Nottingham Victoria.  69801 was at Colwick Jul51-Oct56 and 65018 Jul50-Nov53 if that helps - reasonable to assume 69801 would have visited Woodford Halse in the period Jul51-Nov53.

41152153504_9f3501b987.jpg69801 and 65018 at Nottingham Victoria by stratfordman72, on Flickr

Mr Metroland you are a poet. A dreamer of beautiful dreams…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, great northern said:

Yeadon says 69800/1/2/5/6/11/12/14/17/18/19/20/24 got it. None got the corrected version.

That is excellent, as 69814 was a Grantham engine from 1954 to early 1960. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A tornado of fresh smoke! It has a sugar cube speaker fitted. Any suggestions for a suitable sound file? L1 perhaps? Or a generic TTS ‘sounds like’.

I may have heard somewhere that they operated around Scarborough/Redcar area in the fifties, or did I just invent that?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lner1944 said:

A tornado of fresh smoke! It has a sugar cube speaker fitted. Any suggestions for a suitable sound file? L1 perhaps? Or a generic TTS ‘sounds like’.

I may have heard somewhere that they operated around Scarborough/Redcar area in the fifties, or did I just invent that?

Depends which L1 - certainly not a Thompson one! If Robinson L1/L3 then closer, but I didn't know there was one (as in a sound file).

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 1

On 11/08/2021 at 12:09, Metr0Land said:

Interesting.  I hadn't thought about an A5 before as they disappeared from my area in the early post war era.  However, am seriously considering one of these being drafted back to Neasden shed to cover other loco failures on the ex-GCR route.

Have you or anyone come across more info on exactly when it served on the Rickmansworth / Aylesbury line? From what I can find it definitely served in the LNER era (as an aside it will never not be weird that the LNER ran to the West of the WCML)

I've order the GCR version as I love the livery and be cool if it did run on that line in that livery pre-1923 as this line is near me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Is there any massive detail differences between the two?

• Like 1