Sonic Models OO Gauge Robinson A5

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I model BR diesels, but will have one of these, just because it is GC. Now, how about the C13 and N4/5?

OO Works produced a C13 around 2013/2014.  They come up occasionally on auction sites.  That's how I got mine as I dithered when OO Works were making them due to impending house move.  (Only approx 200 made though?)

23 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Does anyone know when 9Ns were first seen with top feeds?

According to Brian Haresnape in 'Robinson Locomotives', Ian Allen, 1982, page 68, top feed apparatus was added by Robinson to some boilers from 1912.

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

There were white metal kits of the C13 and J10 and the N4 has been done by Judith Edge

Judith Edge also do a rather nice C14. It isn't a complete kit but with the addition of the castings etc. it comes up rather nicely.

P4130036.JPG.f430ce1e4a451bf43d409a6ba978c645.JPG

• Like 13

On 11/08/2021 at 15:34, Synch said:

......5045 in Black and White lining is something I can't recall seeing any mention of before, a rather odd look (can anyone provide more info?).

I'll try...

Yeadon Volume 21 has several photos covering developments of the class over the years including a sequence covering liveries.

On page 36 we find this very loco with the following caption underneath....

"Ex works and paint shop on 30th May 1925, No.5045 was in black, but with red and white lining which Gorton had used for mixed traffic classes"

The following photo of 5046 has the caption...

"The extra lining which Gorton had put on No.5045 was not continued and that works then had to come into line with the others and use single red lining only"

5045's next general repair was on 26th June 1926 so we can assume that this was a short lived application but Sonic have chosen the right loco to carry this livery. Well nearly. Note the reference to 'red and white lining' as per GCR mixed traffic livery.

To replicate this we need to look at the Bachmann limited edition of the 9J 0-6-0 (LNER J11)

The lining on the tender sides, working from the outside inwards, is red-white-black-white. The lining on the boiler bands runs red-white-black-white-red.

So before the livery artwork is completed, it appears that Sonic need to add red lines as above.

Several references in the Brian Haresnape series on liveries carry a warning that the black and white film used at the time was not good at picking up red lining against a black background and indeed this is not evident on the photo of 5045 in Yeadon where only the two white lines can be discerned.

I hope the above is useful unless anyone else out there knows better.

I otherwise congratulate Sonic Models on tackling this subject and I have ordered two.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the shed allocations I noted that 69824, 69826 and 62829 were allocated to 32C Lowestoft in 1955/56.

At that time I was 10 years old and every year we spent our summer holidays at Lowestoft where my grandfather was a fitter at 32C. His house was at the end of Denmark Road overlooking the line running into Lowestoft Central and we spent many an hour sitting in the window in the second house from the left watching the trains pass by:

DenmarkRoad-02.jpg.d06d78a1487198f73e7634ecd8d85421.jpg

Odds are that grandfather did some work on one or more of the above locos and I may even have seen one or more of them pass the bedroom window. 

Pre-order was placed on the day they were announced......

Keith

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

And following on from Keith’s post above, if I wanted to model one of the GE-allocated A5’s, which is the best candidate to renumber to one of 69824/26/29? I’m thinking I’ll order 69820 and change the crest as they’re all part of the same batch, but would appreciate confirmation as I’m not familiar with the specific differences between the build batches. 

What a superb looking loco! I came across a pic of 69824 - early crest - pulling into Norwich Thorpe 15-3-53 in "Branch Lines around Wroxham" but even so I can't honestly make it enough of an excuse to buy one for my little branch line.  I seem to remember a pic of one running into - Shenfield i think - turntable problems somewhere along the line.

Well done Sonic.

• RMweb Premium

On the topic of A5s on the Great Eastern section, there is a photgraph of 69835 passing the Ilford flyover whilst working the 8.44 Liverpool St - Southend service on 21st April 1951 on page 56 of The Great Eastern since 1900 by Charles Phillips (Ian Allan, first published 1985)

On page 61 of 'Doctor on the Line' by Dr Ian Allen there is a photograph of 69815 taking the Cromer line at Whitlingham Junction with 11 bogies in tow. The caption states thta 69815 was one of three A5 tanks allocated to Norwich but that this was the only one that was not cut down to suit the GE loading gauge.

Plate 147 of '55Years of East Anglian Steam' again by Dr Ian Allen, there is photograph of 69824 passing Reedham Junction with a freight bound for Lowestoft

Unfortunately neither of the last two photographs are dated.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Atilla said:

On the topic of A5s on the Great Eastern section, there is a photgraph of 69835 passing the Ilford flyover whilst working the 8.44 Liverpool St - Southend service on 21st April 1951 on page 56 of The Great Eastern since 1900 by Charles Phillips (Ian Allan, first published 1985)

On page 61 of 'Doctor on the Line' by Dr Ian Allen there is a photograph of 69815 taking the Cromer line at Whitlingham Junction with 11 bogies in tow. The caption states thta 69815 was one of three A5 tanks allocated to Norwich but that this was the only one that was not cut down to suit the GE loading gauge.

Plate 147 of '55Years of East Anglian Steam' again by Dr Ian Allen, there is photograph of 69824 passing Reedham Junction with a freight bound for Lowestoft

Unfortunately neither of the last two photographs are dated.

That’s interesting, thank you. What does the book mean by cut-down? Not heard of that before, assume it may mean chimney and cab mods? Presumably the Sonic releases won’t cater for one of these variants. 

• RMweb Gold

Day off and I could do with a new kettle  . . .

3422F75C-CB15-4F61-B45F-D3B76DEEE026.jpeg.25497a73f1ab3abe3d03705d25b86188.jpeg

Sonic models I blame you for this as I though it might be lonely! I remembered seeing one at ACmodels so thought something pointless and relaxing to do on holiday ;) 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, drt7uk said:

I spoke to Rails this morning about another model but also asked about this and sadly this is not likely to be with us until Q2 next year (I believe due to the same covid related delays). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

More time to save then

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Decorated samples on the Rails stand at Donny this weekend.  I hadn't my camera with me (hopefully somebody did) but they did look rather tasty.

Les

There's some video in the Doncaster show thread