Tram track / rail supplier.

Simon Moore

Now I must confess I don't know much about trams or suppliers so I am looking for a bit of help please.

I have decided to start building a layout which in the main is steam however I wish to portray a small section of tramway which passed the station I am intending on modelling. I model in em gauge so I would like some rail & individual lay components if possible just to do a couple of sections of straight track. It's not going to be motorised but I do need it to be rail & not a 3d print etc. 

Are such parts a thing that can be purchased? As I said I know nothing about tram modelling so any help would be great.

Thanks

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

The only supplier of girder rail that I know of is Andy Reichert, he's on here but maybe on the naughty step.  He's in the USA, but I have not been able to find a website, you may be able to find contact details if you search back through various threads that he participated in.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Simon Moore said:

Now I must confess I don't know much about trams or suppliers so I am looking for a bit of help please.

I have decided to start building a layout which in the main is steam however I wish to portray a small section of tramway which passed the station I am intending on modelling. I model in em gauge so I would like some rail & individual lay components if possible just to do a couple of sections of straight track. It's not going to be motorised but I do need it to be rail & not a 3d print etc. 

Are such parts a thing that can be purchased? As I said I know nothing about tram modelling so any help would be great.

Thanks

Simon

@Brian Harrap does inset track on his Quai:87 layout, he may be able to help you.

5 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Hi Simon,

The only supplier of girder rail that I know of is Andy Reichert, he's on here but maybe on the naughty step.  He's in the USA, but I have not been able to find a website, you may be able to find contact details if you search back through various threads that he participated in.

He's here:

http://www.proto87.com/

I've bought P87 wheelsets from him and found him to be very helpful.

• RMweb Premium

If you look at 'The trams that time forgot' in 'trams and tramway modelling' you will see a post on the second page by Red Devil who shows how he has constructed the grooved rail by using 4mm bull head rail along side 0.8mm square section bar and a strip to form the check rail.  all on copper clad.  I am adopting this technique for my 7mm model and my test pieces show that if you put down more sleepers (or part sleepers) then you don't have to solder everything together at the same time.

Have a look.

Do you intend to run trams ?

Most kits will run off 00 track.  Trams systems were most likely 4' 8 1/2 ", but there were systems like Birmingham at 3' 6".  Derby at 4' etc

Andy 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tillig of Germany has a whole range of inset/tram track.  see Tram track - Tillig Modellbahnen.

I have used Tillig track for my dual gauge (00/009) test track (but not the tramway track).  It is a good quality product but it is not as robust as, say, Streamline.  One of the most comprehensive ranges of track available.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is Brian H's track on Quai 87.  Its built on copperclad sleepers. For his tram track he uses nickel-silver strip soldered on edge for the inside part which does give a good representation of grooved rail. Otherwise as mentioned previously, Andy Reichart's stuff from the US is rather good.

341056979_Quai87Tramtrack.jpg.451e0aca1f314542d369e8d021f30c80.jpg  

Edited by Re6/6

• 2 months later...