The continuing life of “Bench Road”

WelshRailTog

34 minutes ago, brossard said:

Great to see this. :drinks: First I have seen the layout.  Perhaps you can show us a view of the whole layout.

John

Hi John, 

I haven’t taken any overall ones yet, want to do more work first. 

As I didn’t build the layout, at the moment I can’t take any credit for the scenic work. 

There is a thread on here by the builder Andy Peters which should contain some overview photos.

Ed

C998BF42-327E-4010-A2B5-7A2D08D2780C.jpeg

• Like 2

I just twigged who the layout builder is, from what I've seen of Andy's work you got a great deal and I did find overall shots of the layout.  I'm actually looking for trackplan ideas for a small layout so this is interesting.

John

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Phil Himsworth said:

It's interesting to see the same layout but with a completely different photography style, it gives a totally different feel and atmosphere to the layout.

I agree, and also using some different Stock, angles, lighting, it all makes a huge difference to the subject matter.

Its looking so different already, which has to be a bonus.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I agree, and also using some different Stock, angles, lighting, it all makes a huge difference to the subject matter.

Its looking so different already, which has to be a bonus.

More changes to come Andy! I’m sorry but I’ve already ripped out the OO scale road barriers you had used for road access. I have a chain fencing and gate set on the workbench that will replace it. With suitable signage and lighting!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WelshRailTog said:

More changes to come Andy! I’m sorry but I’ve already ripped out the OO scale road barriers you had used for road access. I have a chain fencing and gate set on the workbench that will replace it. With suitable signage and lighting!

That sounds like a good start, I look forward to seeing it changed. :good:

• Like 1

Good morning folks,

Just a small update this morning after Mr Postie’s arrival. I’m waiting for about 6 parcels of new scenic material and details from various suppliers which have not yet arrived. However on Wednesday I had a little accident after spotting something on Facebook. 

Hence a very nice Heljan 37401 has joined the fleet, for now just static as it waits to go off to Digitrains for sound fitting. 

After a week of research, I can also no announce the new name of Bench Road is “Pontfaen Yard”. Pontfaen is a small village located about half a mile from Trecwn RNAD and translates to “Bridgestone”. 

The village has two very important buildings; a lovely little chapel, and a Brewery. 

Let’s hope none of the loco crews wander off....

E270FA2E-FB86-4758-9805-6F993353B5EC.jpeg

C52E5625-426E-4CDF-A12B-5E2ED01461D1.jpeg

• Like 9

It's looking good WRT. 

What are you using to take your photos?  The reason I ask is that your depth of field setting looks a little narrow eg while the front of your loco is crisp from about 1/2 way back is has gone blurred..

Here's a Google sketch to show what I mean.>>>

DoF-sketch.jpg.83622eb739ac60fd1e1ff1134f8ef13f.jpg

Hope that is useful.

Best

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

It's looking good WRT. 

What are you using to take your photos?  The reason I ask is that your depth of field setting looks a little narrow eg while the front of your loco is crisp from about 1/2 way back is has gone blurred..

Here's a Google sketch to show what I mean.>>>

DoF-sketch.jpg.83622eb739ac60fd1e1ff1134f8ef13f.jpg

Hope that is useful.

Best

Hi Barnaby, The effect is intentional and designed to highlight some of the detailing. I’m not a fan of photos where everything is in focus, creates too much of a cluttered scene. The camera was approx 5cm from the nose of the loco. 

Apologies if this isn’t to your taste. 

WRT

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Great to see the Name change will have a meaning and a real location, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the changes now.

Love that 37 too.:good:

I like to base things on real locations as much as possible, helps create a more realistic backstory. Although there never was a Pontfaen Yard, there could have been if RNAD Trecwn had expanded. 

This afternoon I started work on detailing the inside of the portacabin, using an assortment of 3D printed details. I also put in and order for some figures through a supplier I’ve used before. I’ve also got an order of more natural scenic bits coming. 

Currently though I’m trying to decide whether to order a Heljan 03!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

Hello WRT you're absolutely correct about the pin sharpness of the front if that's your need then a very tight depth of field is what you want.

No need for apologises though as my taste is coloured by 26 years working for Kodak which has clearly left its mark on me.  :swoon::good:

As they say rule 1 always applies. :sungum::sungum::yahoo:

PS

Currently though I’m trying to decide whether to order a Heljan 03! -- GO GO GO FOR IT. :agree:

Edited by Barnaby

5 hours ago, WelshRailTog said:

I’ve just seen that the Dapol 122s are out, do we think I could get away with one for shuttling important Royal Navy visitors between the yard and the RNAD. Hmmmm.

troop trains…..just have a small platform on the long siding

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 47606odin said:

troop trains…..just have a small platform on the long siding

Unfortunately no “Troops” ever went to RNAD Trecwn, as it was an Munitions site, rather than most military railways that dealt with vehicles and troops and a small amount of light ammunition. 

• Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, WelshRailTog said:

Unfortunately no “Troops” ever went to RNAD Trecwn, as it was an Munitions site, rather than most military railways that dealt with vehicles and troops and a small amount of light ammunition. 

going there for an exercise. Rule 1 applies

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

A little bit of early evening fettling today, had a small parcel arrive from Hattons. 

Have fitted the new fence/gate into place, will need weathering and signage adding now, as well as a bit more foliage to make it a bit more rural. Also looking forward to detailing the portacabin, although it may end up being moved off this layout as I am working on a more suitable building at the moment.

Two more Warwells were in today’s package, I think that’s all I’ll need for now. 

Also in the box were Two Royal Navy Series 3 Land Rovers, RN staff checking up on the movement of munitions. 

37401 is Settling in nicely, and hauled its first MOD train today. 

82EAFC78-85EE-4F24-A5BE-74BEE495D88A.jpeg

571331FC-5383-4CC8-AD28-B7A6A8A8D9F8.jpeg

52BB86E4-A16F-4FF4-93E7-185EF78A34B5.jpeg

• Like 12