Green diesels, blood and custard coaches

DaveArkley

This is a combination often seen on model railways, and occasionally on preserved lines. Here I'm talking of a complete rake in blood and custard, not a rake predominantly maroon with the odd blood and custard in the consist.

In reality how common was this combination? I guess if it did occur it would have been mid 1950s?

Cheers

Dave

I think the Maroon rolling stock livery was introduced in 1956, so the only 'diesels' around are the LMS twins, the fell, the SR 1co-co1s, and GWR Gas turbines. That assortment (and the Woodhead electrics) would have started appearing in green so the window for your scenario would be closing, not saying it didn't happen. 

Mainline diesels didn’t really appear until 1959. Crimson and cream coaches were still around but from the photos I have seen there were only ever one or two in a rake. I dare say there were exceptions that some learned folk can tell us about. As diesels didn’t start getting yellow panels until 1962 (maybe a few in 61?) I would say that a diesel with a yellow warning panel pulling crimson and cream coaches would be extremely rare indeed, if not impossible.