Modifying the old Hornby Gresley teak coaches (And repainting the new ones!)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Good picture here showing a vehicle in preservation and the transition between the two body widths.

If you can find one of the diagram booklets a number of different societies publish that'll be your best guide.

Fascinating! Do you know what the deal is with the skinny coach with all the windows? Almost looks like a brake van converted back into something else

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jwealleans said:

Which one?    The SVR have done exactly that to a BG, as I recall, but I don't know which vehicle it is.

Edit - it's this one.

Seems I got lost in the vortex. It had windows on the end as well.

https://www.scribd.com/article/437435323/Gresley-Teak-Coaches-Move-To-Ecclesbourne

2nd pic down.

Next question: Where can one get bogies from?

Some of my teak coaches look like Hornby used to fit them with some other random bogie.

59 minutes ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

Some of my teak coaches look like Hornby used to fit them with some other random bogie.

The original Hornby Gresley's were introduced at a time they also introduced GWR, LMS and SR coaches using the same underframes, interiors and bogies. Only the bodies and ends were region specific. From memory the models were all fitted with BR Mk1 bogies. At a later point in time Hornby produced and fitted more accurate Gresley style bogies. I suspect if you search for them on ebay you will find some.

• Like 1

Maybe you could save your sanity Captain_Mumbles? In the case of that brake third with its nicely finished teaking, why worry about the omission of the stepped width of body and the exact number of panels each side of the pairs of luggage doors at this late stage? There doesn't appear to be an LNER diagram to exactly match that layout, even though there are at least three diagrams for three-compartment brake thirds from which to choose (and none for a three compartment brake firsts or three compartment brake composites), BUT, the model still has the look of an LNER vehicle, far more so than the Hornby original did, and a brake third that Hornby did not offer is more use than the surplus of brake composites that Hornby did offer. In that respect it is like the four Hornby Margate carriages that I modified and re-finished about five years ago so as to look like the sort of vehicle built by the GNR, or for the ECJS, between about 1895 and 1920, without actually matching any specific diagrams. I felt a need at the time to suggest the presence of such stock in certain teak sets, but I had no intention of spending the sort of money and time that would have been demanded by etched kits or by vastly more thorough rebuilding of the Hornby vehicles. I simply made the best of what I had, within the limits of time / cost / effort that I considered to be reasonable.

if you can source them cheaply you can always convert some more of them, even more accurately in light of increased knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Moxy said:

Peters Spares sell Hornby Gresley bogies, although you will need to supply your own wheels.

https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-s9926-gresley-coach-bogie-frame.ir

When I discovered Peters Spares, I went nuts and ordered so much stuff as it was an amazing site for me with which to fulfill my need to modify everything! But he has since jacked up shipping are there any alternatives??

Edited by Captain_Mumbles
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, gr.king said:

Maybe you could save your sanity Captain_Mumbles? In the case of that brake third with its nicely finished teaking, why worry about the omission of the stepped width of body and the exact number of panels each side of the pairs of luggage doors at this late stage? There doesn't appear to be an LNER diagram to exactly match that layout, even though there are at least three diagrams for three-compartment brake thirds from which to choose (and none for a three compartment brake firsts or three compartment brake composites), BUT, the model still has the look of an LNER vehicle, far more so than the Hornby original did, and a brake third that Hornby did not offer is more use than the surplus of brake composites that Hornby did offer. In that respect it is like the four Hornby Margate carriages that I modified and re-finished about five years ago so as to look like the sort of vehicle built by the GNR, or for the ECJS, between about 1895 and 1920, without actually matching any specific diagrams. I felt a need at the time to suggest the presence of such stock in certain teak sets, but I had no intention of spending the sort of money and time that would have been demanded by etched kits or by vastly more thorough rebuilding of the Hornby vehicles. I simply made the best of what I had, within the limits of time / cost / effort that I considered to be reasonable.

if you can source them cheaply you can always convert some more of them, even more accurately in light of increased knowledge.

Yep I know what you mean. They will definitely look nice going around the layout as is. But there is something fascinating about how they used to make those coaches and its always great to find a new one to kind of try to replicate. Even though it will only ever be roughly close.

• 1 year later...
On 17/08/2021 at 07:24, jwealleans said:

The carriage is this one.

There are a number of kits for Gresley bogies (MJT are my favourite) but the Bachmann 'Thompson' ones (36-006B) are also pretty good.   They are a Gresley bogie

Now to the subject of footboards, or more specifically, those footboards supplied by MJT. As I look at them, they appear not to be ‘handed’ (see attached), so my question whether they were not ‘handed’ so bogies could run either way round (given the pipework and wiring on the real  thing this seems unlikely), or they were so and the MJT etch has overlooked this. I ask as I am about to undertake ‘footboarding’ a Hertford Quad and, as a rather camera shy set, have few photos as reference. Poring over the pages of Harris has not helped much either.

The collective wisdom hereabouts would be welcome…

Best,

Marcus

F7887BCC-F84C-488F-B4E0-4F1E06FBF95A.png

• 2 weeks later...