LNER Gresley P1 Hornby Railroad Flying Scotsman conversion.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 313201 said:

Can I ask please, how you modified the chassis to take the rear bogie and also if the inside of the body required modifications to fit onto the chassis.

I tried to build a P1 using an LMS 2-8-0 chassis which was cleatly wrong for my loco but it gave the impression of a powerful loco and since I had to retire the loco I have been wanting to build these locos correctly.

My fleet is based on if there had been more than 2 built starting with the 1st loco which will be numbered as 2391 unless I renumber them because if I use the loco numbers 2391 - 2399 I have to bear in mind that thd number 2400 was used by the 1st Raven Class A2.

Gday! I took it apart this morning to show you the inside. Please keep in mind this is not an accurate P1 it is more or less just capturing the look of it.  One, the wheels are a little bit small and the running plate needs a smaller joggle as the running plate doesnt need to clear the very large wheels. In the pics you will see how I closed the splash guard holes. On the real P1 your are supposed to see sky underneath its boiler and you dont with mine due to the O1s motor being there and, my running plate still being a little too tall.

You could mount the body a little bit lower by adding less spacers but then the cab goes below the tender sole frame line and so this a balance. You could just go down another 20-40 thou and live with it I suppose.

Under the cab needs a new bracket to hold the rear of the shorter O1 chassis. Underneath the smoke box you need to add a few spacers. I did that out of styrene. I used a super detail cylinder block from an A4 (I think) and the O1 motion from memory just went straight in.

The rear bogie is the new style fixed type so you just need to chop out the middle and make a new bracket for it to sit over the end plate of the O1's Chassis. The truck wheel just needed something to hold it in a similar way. The front O1 pony truck was just traced onto a piece of brass and a brass extension cut and filed out.

This is the TOTALLY BUTCHERY part. I took the Wheels off and swapped the two inner wheels so the crank goes to the 2nd wheel. I copped the crank to thew right length and just drilled the hole. You probably should make a new crank. Like I said, butcherous. I also re quartered them all while I was at it.  You could probably use a 9F chassis and it will be easier but the wheels have the wrong look for the Grizzly.

Hope that helps. Like I said, not accurate but it was fun to do and I was really happy with how the Grizzly looks with all the 4 wheelers behind it!

A very easy conversion with a lot of impact.

If you have more than two P1's maybe they need to be numbered downwards???

PXL_20210814_212002874.jpg

PXL_20210814_211955383.jpg

PXL_20210814_212020640.jpg

PXL_20210814_212036409.jpg

PXL_20210814_212050200.jpg

PXL_20210814_212111655.jpg

IMG_20200301_103131.jpg

Edited by Captain_Mumbles
Forgot some info
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
On 15/08/2021 at 09:02, Ben Alder said:

Love this sort of pragmatic modelling ! Also the method of pivoting the rear bogie - that has been something I've been chewing over for a while, and you have done my thinking for me, thanks.

Cheers! The Thompson O1 is a beautiful and nice running model in its own right. Hopefully I can get one some day to keep it as an O1.

• RMweb Gold
On 15/08/2021 at 08:24, 313201 said:

I like what you've done and how you have put together, I think for my fleet I will probably go with fully pivoting rear bogie as some of my locos don't like going over turnouts backwards if I use a flanged rear wheel set under thd cab to stop the rear of the loco from crabbing I think its called where the loco looks like its pusshing out sideways.

I have tried the same thing with an old Hornby 9F chassis from the tender drive model to create a 2-8-4 but have run into problems with it ( my apologies for the digression ).

For my P1 locos tender body I used a Bachmann J39 tender body and drew around it on plasticard to get the tender sides and then just measured the front and rear of the Bachmann body to get the correct width and glued it together

I was watching a Vid of the Gresley Beat layout the other day and it is a little blurry but I am pretty sure I spotted a 4-8-2 in there!

• Like 1