PO Wagon Renumbering

21 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Your best bet, if you're not looking for accurate numbers, are the sheet which Cambridge Custom Transfers do.   Sheet BL43 is most likely what you want.

Paint on the black patch with gloss paint and apply your number.

My transfers are for BR liveried wagons; I doubt that they'd be much use for renumbering Scottish Gas Board liveried internal user wagons. The OP makes no mention of wishing to apply BR era numbering; (which would require black patches.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

My bad, that's how I read it.  

I think Johnr want to renumber some wagons in the same private owner livery.  

I believe  you assumed, as I first did, that the objective was to renumber as if an ex private owner on BR

If my interpretation of the objective is correct then you will just have to match them as best you can with Cambridge POW, or fox or other offerings.  There were No rules around private liveries in terms of font..

the example you have shown is an internal user wagon and will not have even ventured onto the main line.

there is a photo on line of the Aberdeen gas works…

CFE760A1-8D3D-4598-A74C-B1B70E28A8D5.jpeg.e8c7b3ca6f3b0dc81e9e4186628745ea.jpeg

you will see a number of wagons maybe numbers…. They are lucky to have any paint.

my only advise would be to change all the numbers on any wagon.  Don’t try to change 12 to 16 by changing the 2 to a 6….  Change it all….  

good luck

Andy

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, JohnR said:

Sorry if I wasnt clear - I'm just looking for people's thoughts on what font and size is likely to be closest to the original - I'm not a rivet counter!

Font - Helvetica may suffice; size - you'll need to measure the number on your model.

CJI.

• Like 1

That particular wagon lettering may not be too difficult to match, but in the general case, you are trying to match font, size, and shading none of which are necessarily to any standard, so the odds are that the best you can do is just look for something that appears about right when compared with the rest of the wagon.  Chances are the prototype was hand-lettered in-house by a signwriter, except where it had been done for them by the wagon manufacturer, when maybe a stencil or similar might have been used.  

• RMweb Premium
On 15/08/2021 at 22:13, sulzer27jd said:

The Hornby wagon is a reasonable stab at the lettering which should be the same as the plank width. Some seem to have just had the number , but others (perhaps earlier) had "No 1" but overall the same size.

Have a look here

John 

That is a great shot.  What could be more Scottish than an Andrew Barclay leading a train through cobbled streets surrounded by granite houses.  Fantastic.

Andy

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

The "2" digit is quite distinctive and difficult to find a good match for. 

The best I've found so far is this: https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/brittney-murphy-design/aberforth (a font with a reassuringly Scottish name...)

Nice, but I dont think Aberforth is currently available in 4mm waterslide format! I think I might get away with a version of Gill sans.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, JohnR said:

Nice, but I dont think Aberforth is currently available in 4mm waterslide format! I think I might get away with a version of Gill sans.

Que?

I don't see why that font would be any different than Gill Sans for printing on water slide paper. You graphics program will scale it down to the right size without losing the detail (If it's any good!)

The trick for home printing would be to type the text on a blue background matching the wagon colour and to use white-backed water slide paper to get the white letters.

Edited by Harlequin