pics of the XP64 train

18B

20 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

Surely the REPS were converted from existing loco-hauled stock, so were not new build at all.

The REP motor coaches were new. The trailers (and the entire 3/4TC trailer sets) were converted from loco hauled stock.

The last Mk1s built were a batch of additional REP motor coaches in about 1974. That's the year before I was born, so definitely not that long ago :scratchhead:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

The REP motor coaches were new. The trailers (and the entire 3/4TC trailer sets) were converted from loco hauled stock.

The last Mk1s built were a batch of additional REP motor coaches in about 1974. That's the year before I was born, so definitely not that long ago :scratchhead:

As I understand it, the 1974 batch were all new build due to the unavailability of stock to convert for the trailer vehicles.

I was just wondering whether anyone had ever modelled the XP64 stock, and I think the answer is yes - I may be completely wrong here but "Arrowmouth" comes to mind. IIRC this impressive 'coastal' exhibition layout built by Redditch MRC used to feature some interesting late 60s stock many years ago, when few people modelled that era (not much change there.....) although their website is illustrating the earlier steam/diesel transition period. I'm sure it has been featured in magazines and I did see it once, most likely at Bristol. I think a RMRC member was keen on creating unusual coaching stock using plasticard in RTR conversions, including at least one XP64 coach.

That's my recollection anyway, but my ever-ageing grey matter may be playing tricks on me......:mda:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Surely the REPS were converted from existing loco-hauled stock, so were not new build at all.

The REP Driving Motors were all new builds, with the centre coaches and 4 TC stock all rebuilt/refurbished loco-hauled coaches. I read somewhere that the TF coaches in the TC units were some of the oldest mark 1 coaches still in existence at the time.

• Agree 2

The 1967 4-REP buffets were converted from RB restaurant buffets, the 1974 batch used RU restaurant cars. The Luggage First trailers were rebuilt from CK coaches. No new inner coaches for either build. There were plenty of Mk.1 coaches around in 1974, displaced by new build Mk.2e and 2f air conditioned stock.

Edited by BernardTPM

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

... The Luggage First trailers were rebuilt from CK coaches. ....

Mk1 BFKs were a rare breed comprising merely 28 examples - York would've struggled to rustle up enough of them when they wanted to create Trailer Brake Firsts for the REPs. ( They may have had some specific purpose elsewhere, anyway.)

• 4 months later...
On 18/08/2021 at 01:20, Halvarras said:

I was just wondering whether anyone had ever modelled the XP64 stock, and I think the answer is yes - I may be completely wrong here but "Arrowmouth" comes to mind. IIRC this impressive 'coastal' exhibition layout built by Redditch MRC used to feature some interesting late 60s stock many years ago, when few people modelled that era (not much change there.....) although their website is illustrating the earlier steam/diesel transition period. I'm sure it has been featured in magazines and I did see it once, most likely at Bristol. I think a RMRC member was keen on creating unusual coaching stock using plasticard in RTR conversions, including at least one XP64 coach.

That's my recollection anyway, but my ever-ageing grey matter may be playing tricks on me......:mda:

Hi you are quiet right Arrowmouth is one of our exhibition layouts at Redditch MRC and 2022 will mark 30 years on the exhibition circuit as well as 55 years of our Club. One of the trains we ran in the early days of the layout was a model of the XP64 rake. These were based around Lima mk1 coaches with scratch built sides. There is an article on how the coaches were built in an early edition of BRM 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Reddibus said:

Hi you are quiet right Arrowmouth is one of our exhibition layouts at Redditch MRC and 2022 will mark 30 years on the exhibition circuit as well as 55 years of our Club. One of the trains we ran in the early days of the layout was a model of the XP64 rake. These were based around Lima mk1 coaches with scratch built sides. There is an article on how the coaches were built in an early edition of BRM 

Arrowmouth still going strong after nearly 30 years of exhibitions at the Great Electric Train show in October 

20211002_125606.jpg

• Like 1

On 18/08/2021 at 11:42, Wickham Green too said:

Mk1 BFKs were a rare breed comprising merely 28 examples - York would've struggled to rustle up enough of them when they wanted to create Trailer Brake Firsts for the REPs. ( They may have had some specific purpose elsewhere, anyway.)

York didnt rustle them the Southern Region did all the locating of the stock including asking the other regions for various carriages that they needed for the REPs and TCs.

Simon

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Reddibus said:

Do you have an issue number for this? 

On 18/12/2021 at 11:52, russ p said:

When did they lose the wide doors

I want to say 1973 ish, certainly when I was making my model of a SK for 1977 they had gone.

For anyone interested this was the build I did with Narrow doors

The Rail Express article a few years ago was a god send, I can't recall the issue though.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/12/2021 at 11:25, rka said:

I though it was the April edition according to Google. Oh well if I'm wrong I'm sure there will be something useful in the mag I bought. 

Well I have taken delivery of the April edition and it has drawings and a short article, I'd best order the December one now. :blink:

• 1 month later...