CL 50 replacing traction tyres wheels for normal all metal wheels

• RMweb Premium

I have a Hornby Cl 50 an older model but it is generally a good runner. Unfortunately the biggest bugbear are the dreaded raction tyres. I wuld like to replace them with standard all meatl wheels. I would like to know if anyone has done it successfull and were there any problems doing so? On the face of it, it looks like a fairly easy exchange but not having done this on a diesel loco I would like to get it right. And, (sorry to go on) what wheels would anyone recommend?

I replaced the traction tyred wheels with normal ones on two of my early Class 50s a few years ago.

From memory I acquired four new wheelsets from Peter's Spares which gave me the eight non tyred wheels I needed. I removed original tyred wheels from their axles by placing the wheelset in a mini vice (wheel backs on top of the jaws of the vice) and used a light hammer and punch to tap them off.   New wheel goes back tight on the axle, use a back to back gauge to get the correct distance. You also need to make sure the cogs on the axle are properly lined up (they are off set) as it's easy to get them the wrong way round.

Both of my locos still run superbly.  It was a lot cheaper than buying complete new motor bogies.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Additional wording for clarification
  • Thanks 1