Wheels.

I have a rake of old Triang-Hornby Bowaters slurry tanks (R668) and want to upgrade the wheels as I have it on good authority that the original fittings do not work on Code 75 Bullhead track. Romford wheels have been suggested so where can I buy these please? The Alan Gibson collection has also been mentioned so that sounds a good option as well.

I'm currently in the process of changing the couplings having decided to fit Hunts Elite. The stock amounts to twenty in line with their real life counterparts and they have been weathered and renumbered superbly by Steve at Grimy Times.

Paul_C  

DSCF9293.JPG

DSCF9297.JPG

DSCF9299.JPG

Hi Romford are now known as Markits and accessible via a website.

Alan Gibson are a little finer looking and can also be viewed via their website. I have just tried a Gibson wheelset in a Tri-ang wagon, albeit not the same as yours, and it fitted nicely. Markits would too on that basis as axles are standard lengths these days. Both firms long established and good products. I would suggest you buy one pair and check they suit your needs though. Even better if you have a model shop that sells them you could take the wagon in and check for yourself.

Paul,

You may already know this (in which case I apologise for preaching to the converted) but I think you will find that your first problem will be removing the existing wheels.  If the wagon frames are cast metal, the axles will be 2mm diameter and will need to be drifted out; new axles are thinner and have pointed ends so will need brass bearings inserted in the resulting 2mm holes in the frames into which the new, pin point axles will be a perfect fit - provided you space the bearings properly.  Its not the easiest job but you have the choice of top hat bearings (they have a "brim") and plain ones - you won't be able to use pairs of top hats because they are fitted from inside the frame and wil not allow the new axles to be inserted.  On the other hand, the plain bearings can be inserted from outside the frames and will need glueing in once the new wheelsets have been inserted.  I found that a top hat bearing for one end of each axle and a plain one for the other was the best way to do it.  Make sure that the wheelsets remain free to rotate but not to fall out.

I hope this helps,

Harold.

Edited by HLT 0109
correction of typos

Harold,

Thanks for your reply, on reading it I did become a bit concerned but that was short lived having decided to have a go at the first one. The frames are plastic and I've removed both axles with great ease using a micro screwdriver. I just eased the part of the chassis outwards away from the wheels/axle and the whole thing popped out with no bother whatsoever so, a great relief all round. They just pop out so I can hopefully do things in reverse when it comes to fitting the new ones.

Also thanks to Bernard and Barclay for your input.

Paul_C  

36 minutes ago, HLT 0109 said:

Great! - but just check that the replacement axles are the same diameter as the old ones, otherwise you will need the bearings.

Well done.

Harold.

I think that you are a little confused here.

It's the axle length that is critical, not the diameter; both original and replacement wheels have pinpoint axles.

Your previous comments that wrongly assumed the chassis was cast metal were also misleading; both Markits and Gibson use 2mm. axles.

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The original wheels are unlikely to work through CD75 points, but may be ok on plain track. The contemporary standard for Gibson/Markit as has been mentioned is a 2mm Diameter axle and 26mm over ends for pinpoint bearings. I’m pretty sure the older Hornby axles (Like yours), were shorter and round ended, so you may find you have to drill out extra clearance in the axle boxes for brass bearing cups for new axles.
If you have any current Hornby wagons from their older moulds try those wheels first, it may be that replacements from current Hornby stock will suffice.

Believe it or not that chassis is still in the Hornby range!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/463658/hornby_r6934_lwb_box_van_in_coca_cola_livery/stockdetail.aspx

Yes, they do have modern wheels.

These had the later 1960s/1970s tank wagon chassis like the Shell and Texaco tankers, also used on things like the McVities vans. I think Harold is mistaking them for the earlier metal chassis which was virtually the same.

Here's the entry on the Hornby Guide.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=343

if you want modern wheels the newer Hornby type should be an easy fit. These are the wheels that was mentioned above.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000389/1000588/1000655/0/hornby_oo_gauge_1_76_scale_wheel_sets/prodlist.aspx

I would still use brass bearings as well though.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

The Hornby wagon wheels are approximately RP25-110, meaning the tread width is 0.110".  These work pretty well through OO points.  Finer scale wheels, ie Gibson are I believe RP25-88, meaning a tread width of 0.088".  These tend to drop more into frogs in OO but do look better.  They all come on 2mm pinpoint axles.  The Hornby wheels are non-magnetic but unfortunately on steel axles.  I replace the axles with brass ones on my 0-16.5 stock so that I can use under-track magnets and Kadee couplings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I replace the axles with brass ones on my 0-16.5 stock so that I can use under-track magnets and Kadee couplings.

Did you make these yourself, or buy them?

There are some very similar chassis in the Hornby starter set range from the 1970s probably which have open axle boxes and take larger axles than the current type.  The wheels actually run better than the shiny tyres Silver Seal type.

If the later Hornby wheels are a direct fit its a no brainer but I ruined several of these chassis trying to fit top hat bushes due to wear of the axle boxes and axle ends.  My outdoor line is very abrasive due to my using sand and cement as ballast

The Romford wheels arrived today and I set about fitting the first pair. An absolute piece of cake as they slipped into place just as easy as the originals came out. Fitting the other 19 slurry tanks will be a dead cinch.

Thanks for all your posts and replies.

Paul_C 

• Like 2

On 19/08/2021 at 23:24, Steamport Southport said:

Believe it or not that chassis is still in the Hornby range!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/463658/hornby_r6934_lwb_box_van_in_coca_cola_livery/stockdetail.aspx

Yes, they do have modern wheels.

These had the later 1960s/1970s tank wagon chassis like the Shell and Texaco tankers, also used on things like the McVities vans. I think Harold is mistaking them for the earlier metal chassis which was virtually the same.

I think this chassis first appeared in 1968/9 under the model in question, R668 Bowaters tanker - it was used under some inappropriate types such as a Plate wagon marked as a Departmental 'Winkle' in green with a folded piece of metal as an unconvincing load! 

The real tankers used to run to Sittingbourne from Burngullow in Cornwall but I lived in Truro, so had to travel up to St Austell or preferably Par to see the train with its booked motive power, a Brush Type 4 - and another one on the Par - Park Royal Freightliner........ made a change from all those common Warships and Westerns! Somewhat appropriately I bought my first R668 in St Austell, I still have it plus nine others in various states of repair. Yet another entry on my long list of works in "progress"........... :rolleyes:!

Edited by Neil Phillips
Punctuation adjustment!