Prototype Models Great Central Bridge Kit

• RMweb Premium

Here in NZ we have just gone back into lockdown for the first time since early last year so a bit of spare time for modelling.   As I wanted a scene on my new  1930's layout with a double track passing over a canal, I found in my cupboards an old Prototype Models bridge kit that I thought might suit the bill.  This kit can be made up as either double or single track and also either a brick arch or a girder bridge with brick abutments.   I have decided to go for the latter.

Starting with a smaller part of the kit, I began with the half girder that sits on the top of the bridge between to the two double track rail lines.   A couple of hours work to cut out glue and complete but the 12mm long gussets that brace the side of the girder were very fiddly to cut out fold in half and glue!  Looking forward to the larger parts on the build I must say.

20210821_150725.jpg

20210821_150714.jpg

20210821_173659.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've managed over the last couple of days to complete a couple more bits of the girder bridge.  Two of the four brick piers and

the two smaller steel girders that provide support for the track bed.    I gave up on the very fiddly paper gussets that need to be

folded in half (almost impossible) and made them from 2mm strips of card instead.  Everything has had the edges coloured with water

colour pens so there is no obvious white strips on the sides.girders.jpg.830ae9da5ae6a7acb9240cc4688f12c5.jpg

piers and girders.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Having completed a few more of the major components of the bridge, (not including the Wing walls),  I just temporarily mocked up what the bridge will look like on the table inside.   Placed my model Canal boat underneath for a bit of perspective.   And yes I do realize that the smaller girders are supposed to go underneath the trackbed..-_-

Doesn't look too bad, hopefully will look even better with a grubby canal underneath and a train passing over the top!

bridge 1.jpg

Bridge 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3