British Steam in Colour 1957-1975

• RMweb Premium

I've just received this book as a birthday present, and a lovely present it is too. It's a compilation of colour slide photos taken by Norman Harrop put together and captioned by LNER4479 of this parish.

Whilst the local photos are of most interest to me, given my interest in Manchester, Stockport and Peak District railways, there's much of interest from all over the country given that Norman Harrop countrywide in search of steam.  I particularly liked an overall view of Thornton Jct shed (looking like the basis for all those model MPDs on a perfectly flat baseboard), the early preservation day shots of Dinting (which brought back some lovely childhood memories from a few years later), and, as who can resist a colour photo of a Beattie Well Tank, 30585 at Boscarne Jct.

Of the Manchester/Stockport area shots, a view showing the goods depot and sidings at Levenshulme South on the Fallowfield line, and only the second photo I've seen of Jackson's sidings at Adswood, Stockport on the 1902 MR 'Cut Off' route being shunted were particularly interesting.

Simon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

A reminder that the best price is not always to be had on Amazon as our price is 25% off the RRP as we are not paying 20% of the sale price to Amazon for the privilege of selling on there. Which means we can pay taxes within the UK rather than somewhere else possibly as big global conglomerates apparently do? Instead we can reinvest profits back into the hobby directly with advertising etc, create new products and support charities and railway preservation. Support your local bookshops, publishers and the railway preservation shops instead, or we will lose them.

https://strathwood.co.uk/products/british-steam-in-colour-1957-1975-a-personal-journey-through-the-colour-slide-collection-of-norman-harrop

BRITISH STEAM IN COLOUR 1957 - 1975:

A PERSONAL JOURNEY THROUGH THE COLOUR SLIDE COLLECTION OF NORMAN HARROP

Graham Nicholas traces the journey of train spotter and rail photographer Norman Harrop through the 1950s golden age of steam and beyond. The story begins during steam’s Indian Summer from 1957-1960 when Norman captured the glory of the traditional steam railway in his colour slides.

The winds of change were blowing from 1961 to 1964 as Norman recorded early production diesels and electrification schemes beginning to displace top link locos onto secondary workings. He regularly travelled to the four corners of the network, to the South West, Scotland and the North East, photographing the scenes he encountered along the way. During the period of 1965-1968 the frenetic urge to record the passing of the steam locomotive was gaining momentum. Despite the ever more depressing scenes, Norman stuck with it to create his own poignant record of the final run down of steam.

Located in the North West, Norman was one of several railway enthusiasts who congregated at Stockport Edgeley shed, leading to the successful campaign to save Stanier Jubilee 45596 ‘Bahamas’. The story of its entry into preservation was comprehensively captured on Norman’s camera. From 1969 to 1975, Norman’s preservation career with ‘Bahamas’ continued with the creation of the Dinting Railway Centre, together with capturing scenes at other preservation centres and early mainline preserved locos. The book concludes with the legendary 1975 Shildon cavalcade where Norman had a privileged view behind the scenes.

128 Pages Colour Photographs HARDBACK 

MO BR STM COL.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

Thanks to Simon for starting this thread about the book project that I have been involved with for certainly the last two years ... and in some respects a lot longer than that.

It's always nicer when someone else highlights your work. However, I did post a few additional details in my LMR layout thread (despite my Forum user name!), including a few sample images, here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128568-hills-of-the-north-the-last-great-project/&do=findComment&comment=4550063

I had already picked up the introductory offer on the Strathwood site and you'll see that is highlighted on the above link. Abolutely agree re supportinglocal bookshop and 'buying British'!

Happy to hear any comments - good or bad. It's certainly been an enjoyable and fascinating process to put the book together. Hope you enjoy it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 22/08/2021 at 13:50, Strathwood said:

A reminder that the best price is not always to be had on Amazon as our price is 25% off the RRP as we are not paying 20% of the sale price to Amazon for the privilege of selling on there.

The Amazon price is inclusive of post and packaging charges. The P&P charges are not so clear on the Strathwood site.

I have looked at the Silver Link website and the book is no longer available from them, so I conclude it's being remaindered by both Amazon and Strathwood. 

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The Amazon price is inclusive of post and packaging charges.

Yes, but the Strathwood packers are probably allowed to use the toilet during an 8 hour shift, without their pay being docked. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The Amazon price is inclusive of post and packaging charges. The P&P charges are not so clear on the Strathwood site.

I have looked at the Silver Link website and the book is no longer available from them, so I conclude it's being remaindered by both Amazon and Strathwood. 

The book is brand new from Mortons and is not being remaindered at all. Yes we get a favourable deal which we pass on to our customers where we can with advantageous pricing and special offers. In addition to our discount on this title a further discount is also available, such as purchase five books and the lowest priced book is free across the board.

We also distribute and pick and pack for other companies who do sell on Amazon, although Strathwood does not. Yes our pickers and packers are well looked after as they will happily tell you and our warehouse is only open from 8am until 6pm with staff on flexible hours so they can avoid the rush hour traffic around Bedford if they need to. We share the same premises with other companies such as the much respected Irwell Press.

To put to bed any confusion over our shipping charges which were also alluded to they are clear on our website https://strathwood.co.uk/pages/shipping-and-delivery and at the point of payment, thus allowing customer's to choose which service they desire. We also have a very good reputation thanks to the staff in the warehouse for superb packing to cope with the rigours of the Royal Mail and the courier networks.

Shipping and Delivery

Offering a fast and friendly mail order service with a no quibble money back guarantee you will not be disappointed with your purchases.

All orders are securely wrapped to ensure your books arrive in perfect condition.

As a rule all book orders under 1kg are sent via the Royal Mail (a good rule of thumb if you're unsure of your order weight on orders under £25), whereas orders over 1kg (usually two or more titles or our larger landscape format books) are sent by secure courier services, to ensure a fast and safe delivery to your door.

BRONZE LEVEL UK
Shipping and Packing Please allow 10-14 working days (aside from very busy times such as Christmas and Father's Day most parcels are delivered within 7 working days).

(£2.95) We subsidise both the United Kingdom and our overseas shipping rates and absorb some of the extra costs involved, as our books once carefully packed are heavy. We encourage you to order more than just one title at a time to take advantage of this and save yourself some money. We ship via the most economic means which can sometimes mean delivery times will vary at this level between five and fourteen days, please be patient we will not let you down.

SILVER LEVEL UK
48 Hour Delivery Place your order by 1pm Monday to Friday for next day despatch
(£4.95) 48 Hour Delivery Place your order by 1pm Monday to Friday to receive your books in 2 working days

GOLD LEVEL UK
24 Hour Delivery Place your order by 1pm Monday to Friday for same day despatch
(£6.99) 24 Hour Delivery Place your order by 1pm Monday to Friday to receive your books next working day

Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey (£5.95)
Shipping and Packing Please allow 10-14 working days
We offer our Bronze Level shipping as standard for Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey. Orders will be shipped via the most economic means which can sometimes mean delivery times will vary at this level between five and fourteen days, please be patient we will not let you down.

International Shipping and Packing (£15.00)
We subsidise the overseas shipping rates and absorb some of the extra costs involved as our books once carefully packed are heavy, we encourage you to order more than just one title at a time to take advantage of this and save yourself some money. We ship via the most economic means which can sometimes mean delivery times depending where you are in the world can be a number of weeks, please be patient we will not let you down.

These prices are per order of course and not per book!

Always happy to answer any questions where we can.

Kevin

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

This does look like a good book .  I quite like landscape scenes industrial or country and seeing the railway in context of landscape , large stations etc . Not really just into pictures of a loco on shed .  You think this book covers that?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Legend said:

This does look like a good book .  I quite like landscape scenes industrial or country and seeing the railway in context of landscape , large stations etc . Not really just into pictures of a loco on shed .  You think this book covers that?

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Legend said:

I tried to get a mix of pictures for variety. There are a few shed shots but the majority are either at stations or from the lineside. Equal mixture of townscapes / industrial versus countryside. Some different / quirky ones in there as well.

3 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

He may have travelled to the 'four corners' but he will have found little to photograph in East Anglia; diesels began taking over main line duties by 1957 and steam was gone by 1962. 

Correct. East Anglia is one of the few areas of the country where I drew a blank in terms of any pictures. Also thin on the ground in the South East south of the river and also the London suburbs. Pretty much the rest of the country covered although, as with most of us, there's favourite locations returned to year after year.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I tried to get a mix of pictures for variety. There are a few shed shots but the majority are either at stations or from the lineside. Equal mixture of townscapes / industrial versus countryside. Some different / quirky ones in there as well.

Correct. East Anglia is one of the few areas of the country where I drew a blank in terms of any pictures. Also thin on the ground in the South East south of the river and also the London suburbs. Pretty much the rest of the country covered although, as with most of us, there's favourite locations returned to year after year.

thanks for that . Just ordered it from Strathwood . Thanks for the input 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/08/2021 at 16:55, Strathwood said:

The book is brand new from Mortons and is not being remaindered at all. Yes we get a favourable deal which we pass on to our customers where we can with advantageous pricing and special offers. In addition to our discount on this title a further discount is also available, such as purchase five books and the lowest priced book is free across the board.

We also distribute and pick and pack for other companies who do sell on Amazon, although Strathwood does not. Yes our pickers and packers are well looked after as they will happily tell you and our warehouse is only open from 8am until 6pm with staff on flexible hours so they can avoid the rush hour traffic around Bedford if they need to. We share the same premises with other companies such as the much respected Irwell Press.

To put to bed any confusion over our shipping charges which were also alluded to they are clear on our website https://strathwood.co.uk/pages/shipping-and-delivery and at the point of payment, thus allowing customer's to choose which service they desire. We also have a very good reputation thanks to the staff in the warehouse for superb packing to cope with the rigours of the Royal Mail and the courier networks.

Shipping and Delivery

Offering a fast and friendly mail order service with a no quibble money back guarantee you will not be disappointed with your purchases.

All orders are securely wrapped to ensure your books arrive in perfect condition.

As a rule all book orders under 1kg are sent via the Royal Mail (a good rule of thumb if you're unsure of your order weight on orders under £25), whereas orders over 1kg (usually two or more titles or our larger landscape format books) are sent by secure courier services, to ensure a fast and safe delivery to your door.

BRONZE LEVEL UK
Shipping and Packing Please allow 10-14 working days (aside from very busy times such as Christmas and Father's Day most parcels are delivered within 7 working days).

(£2.95) We subsidise both the United Kingdom and our overseas shipping rates and absorb some of the extra costs involved, as our books once carefully packed are heavy. We encourage you to order more than just one title at a time to take advantage of this and save yourself some money. We ship via the most economic means which can sometimes mean delivery times will vary at this level between five and fourteen days, please be patient we will not let you down.

SILVER LEVEL UK
48 Hour Delivery Place your order by 1pm Monday to Friday for next day despatch
(£4.95) 48 Hour Delivery Place your order by 1pm Monday to Friday to receive your books in 2 working days

GOLD LEVEL UK
24 Hour Delivery Place your order by 1pm Monday to Friday for same day despatch
(£6.99) 24 Hour Delivery Place your order by 1pm Monday to Friday to receive your books next working day

Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey (£5.95)
Shipping and Packing Please allow 10-14 working days
We offer our Bronze Level shipping as standard for Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey. Orders will be shipped via the most economic means which can sometimes mean delivery times will vary at this level between five and fourteen days, please be patient we will not let you down.

International Shipping and Packing (£15.00)
We subsidise the overseas shipping rates and absorb some of the extra costs involved as our books once carefully packed are heavy, we encourage you to order more than just one title at a time to take advantage of this and save yourself some money. We ship via the most economic means which can sometimes mean delivery times depending where you are in the world can be a number of weeks, please be patient we will not let you down.

These prices are per order of course and not per book!

Always happy to answer any questions where we can.

Kevin

I have ordered a few books from Strathwood and have received excellent  service, packaging is bomb proof, the last order I placed arrived sooner than an order placed on the same day from an Aussie retailer!!!

Can't wait wait for this one:yahoo:

Mike

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just scanned through my copy of Graham Nicholas' compilation of Norman Harrop's colour slides in "British Steam in Colour 1957-1975".

A really lovely piece of work Graham. Unlike many similar books that focus on just the loco (and that is not a criticism) the reproductions of Norman's images includes all the surrounding area that formed such an important part of the then railway scene. So evocative of the period and a godsend for modellers interested in creating the atmosphere of a steam railway. An absolute bargain.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1