templot printing options? Trying to print with less joins

• RMweb Gold

Gday all!

I thought I would be a genius and print with A3 to minimize joining and use less paper. However Ive managed to achieve this, and cannot navigate back to printing options to try to even change it back to A4 and see how that goes. Argh! hahahaha.

I now have 38 sheets of A3 all printed mostly blank with small bits of track at the top and bottom edges.

Thanks in advance for your help.

templot printing.png

• Like 1

Martin seems to have added a page orientation option, I haven't messed with this. Should be end-run. You should be able to access Printer setup from the Output option. Just make sure you have it set to Portrait (seems counter-intuitive I know). You will most probably have to load a calibration file. Otherwise I normally print on A3 with no problem.

Check that you have the printer outlines showing, group all the templates and move them to a sensible position to reduce any unneccesary papar usage. You can then use the print Group templates option if you wish.

balaj.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

I now have 38 sheets of A3 all printed mostly blank with small bits of track at the top and bottom edges

Hi,

Move the page origin to get the best fit on the pages:

move_page_origin.png.b7a147d970d0f558e16565b1260d011b.png

I would also suggest changing back to end-run (portrait) page orientation. The side-run option seldom fits track plans.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Martin seems to have added a page orientation option, I haven't messed with this. Should be end-run. You should be able to access Printer setup from the Output option. Just make sure you have it set to Portrait (seems counter-intuitive I know). You will most probably have to load a calibration file. Otherwise I normally print on A3 with no problem.

Check that you have the printer outlines showing, group all the templates and move them to a sensible position to reduce any unneccesary papar usage. You can then use the print Group templates option if you wish.

I haven't added it. It's been there since the first public version of Templot 20+ years ago. If folks would just use the Templot Club forum a bit more, they would know all this.

Don't group and move the templates, leave them where you intended them to be. Move the page origin instead.

End-run (portrait) is not the least bit counter-intuitive -- look at the text on the printed template pages. This has all been explained at great length over the years on the Templot Club forum.

Martin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

I haven't added it. It's been there since the first public version of Templot 20+ years ago. If folks would just use the Templot Club forum a bit more, they would know all this.

Don't group and move the templates, leave them where you intended them to be. Move the page origin instead.

End-run (portrait) is not the least bit counter-intuitive -- look at the text on the printed template pages. This has all been explained at great length over the years on the Templot Club forum.

Martin.

You might think so but I imagine most people seeing the Portrait option and then seeing it come out printed in landscape a bit odd to say the least. I have long since ceased to worry about it, it's Templot. Just make sure the page outlines are on.

• RMweb Gold

I think my problem was I went for the landscape option but on every consecutive print attempt the printing promt didnt pop back up.

I see how page origin works. I guess it is just where the track work I wanted to print ended up being in the room.

Thanks Martin!

(will check the Templot club forum in future... Doh!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

You might think so but I imagine most people seeing the Portrait option and then seeing it come out printed in landscape a bit odd to say the least. I have long since ceased to worry about it, it's Templot. Just make sure the page outlines are on.

Just leave everything on the defaults and it works fine. Tracks fit better on the screen running left-to-right. And fit better on the printer pages running top-to-bottom.

Make changes only if you know what you are doing.

All explained here:

https://85a.uk/templot/companion/template_pages.php

from which:

orientation_end_run.png.8caa101a3652f3575f91116a8510d8d1.png

orientation_side_run.png.5ceacf08121418c0bd2608d3555c0a02.png

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

But it, works for me. Normally I would just group the templates I want to print, copy and move them to a separate bit them print them. This makes sure nothing gets moved and avoids any unintended consequences.

The word you added there was copy, which changes the entire meaning. Templot is a tool to use any way you wish. But if you are duplicating groups, don't get confused about which templates you are adjusting at a later date.

Moving the page origin also "makes sure nothing gets moved and avoids any unintended consequences" -- no template is changed in any way.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

I think my problem was I went for the landscape option but on every consecutive print attempt the printing promt didnt pop back up.

I see how page origin works. I guess it is just where the track work I wanted to print ended up being in the room.

Thanks Martin!

(will check the Templot club forum in future... Doh!)

I think that this may be more of an issue with Windows printer driver. I know I altered the a4 to a custom option (purely out of interest) increasing the length to that of an A3. It worked (printer in this case is an Epson W2010, the only problem was that trying to print anything with it thereafter, the paper size defaulted to the custom setting. Eventually I got tired of having to correct everything to A4 and finally solved it by altering the setting via the Printers and Devices option.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

The word you added there was copy, which changes the entire meaning. Templot is a tool to use any way you wish. But if you are duplicating groups, don't get confused about which templates you are adjusting at a later date.

Moving the page origin also "makes sure nothing gets moved and avoids any unintended consequences" -- no template is changed in any way.

cheers,

Martin.

Martin, as always thank you for spending the time. You go above and beyond with us, I dont know how you do it.

• Like 1