Lovely modelling Colin as usual and a great idea about celebrating the 100 years, may be it could be put to the powers that be that something like this should be done on the real thing.

Do you think the second year apprentices could have a crack at the “Eastleigh” D6508 Class 33, how about it Colin.

• Agree 3

36 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Nice job.

It will be interesting to see if any of the other TOC's pick-up on the date,

after all, the LMS and the LNER were also formed/created at the same time.

Of course, but I am slightly biased.

• RMweb Gold

It's a beautiful livery and I like your  project.............but don't even think about applying that colour to 46233:jester::jester:!!

Mike

8 hours ago, pushpull33 said:

Remember, this is a 'what might be'  'what could be' a 'what if'  before you all go ripping your claws in to me, I would welcome your genuine opinion. Is this just sacrilege or does it actually look half decent to you?

It makes a nice change to see a "Freelance but Plausible" livery on a British model diesel. It's a sort of "what if Nationalisation didn't happen?" model. I like it.

Why UK modellers get so hot under the collar about fictional or at least inaccurate schemes I don't know, especially when they often invent a fictional or 'might have been' location for a layout anyway. In these days of Privatised TOCs I'd have thought a freelance one, maybe freight-oriented, with it's own livery would be an interesting project. But no - models of locos and stock must stick rigidly to the prototype, it seems.

It's common enough in American outline modelling as there are real Railroads, known as Short Lines, that are full size 'freelance' operations, often with their own livery, so in modelling, made up companies and colors are perfectly acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

47 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

It makes a nice change to see a "Freelance but Plausible" livery on a British model diesel. It's a sort of "what if Nationalisation didn't happen?" model. I like it.

Why UK modellers get so hot under the collar about fictional or at least inaccurate schemes I don't know, especially when they often invent a fictional or 'might have been' location for a layout anyway. In these days of Privatised TOCs I'd have thought a freelance one, maybe freight-oriented, with it's own livery would be an interesting project. But no - models of locos and stock must stick rigidly to the prototype, it seems.

It's common enough in American outline modelling as there are real Railroads, known as Short Lines, that are full size 'freelance' operations, often with their own livery, so in modelling, made up companies and colors are perfectly acceptable.

I'm glad to here your take on this project and it's approval. Perhaps there may be more in the future, who knows.

As you say. The Americans ha've done this sort of thing for years, but heaven help us if we mess with liveries in the UK.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The Maunsell livery sits very well on this loco; it is one of my favourite liveries, imparting a quiet dignity to any loco or stock it is applied to.  It would have looked magnificent on the streamlined Coronations, and even made the hideous A4s look reasonable (puts on tin hat and takes cover...).

• Like 1