More Signals at Hessle Haven & Scarborough

• 3 weeks later...

While I finish the current two signal bridges, here's one I made earlier and which was described on a previous thread. Some of those who have joined RMWeb, more recently, may not have seen this one; for those who have well here's another photograph.

The techniques on this are the same as the later ones described on this thread, using the same constructional methods. It was this signal which prompted me to start scratch building these lattice bridges, though this was actually built as the second of these large signal models.

There is just something about these things which so epitomised the railway that we grew up with and, certainly for me, the railway has lost one of its most appealing characteristics with the passing of these massive structures.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-47873300-1309864551_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A new toy came my way the other day and it has raised a few questions. These magnificent structures must of been difficult to find in fog. Were fog repeater signals used to repeat the various arms to assist the fogmen?

In the case of the fog repeater signal i have just acquired..

post-4034-0-53607800-1311360849_thumb.jpg

it couldn't be driven from the mechanical wires direct from the levers as this would give a false indication. I believe it was driven via the drop off slots which really complicates thing's from a mechanical point of view.

Have you seen evidence of such arrangements when researching your signals?

In the case of the signal this repeater was attached to all of the arms were slotted by Whitemoor Junction 31 lever. The top arm, for example, was also slotted by March North Junction 4 lever and March East Junction 53 lever. The only way i can see this giving the correct indication would be to drive it via the weight bar that actually pulls the arm off.

Thanks to Greg Dash for permission to use his photo.

Richard, you raise a good question, the signals you illustrate were there for the benefit of the "Fogman",but unless they were worked from the actual signal balance lever they could give a false indication. With an "Isolated" distant it wouldn't matter as the arm should be "Off" and in thick fog the driver would not see it, but when slotted as a lower arm could be different. I don't recall any details being published in the several text books I have. Best Wishes, Mick

A new toy came my way the other day and it has raised a few questions. These magnificent structures must of been difficult to find in fog. Were fog repeater signals used to repeat the various arms to assist the fogmen?

In the case of the fog repeater signal i have just acquired..

post-4034-0-53607800-1311360849_thumb.jpg

it couldn't be driven from the mechanical wires direct from the levers as this would give a false indication. I believe it was driven via the drop off slots which really complicates thing's from a mechanical point of view.

Have you seen evidence of such arrangements when researching your signals?

In the case of the signal this repeater was attached to all of the arms were slotted by Whitemoor Junction 31 lever. The top arm, for example, was also slotted by March North Junction 4 lever and March East Junction 53 lever. The only way i can see this giving the correct indication would be to drive it via the weight bar that actually pulls the arm off.

Thanks to Greg Dash for permission to use his photo.

I have a two arm LMS repeater that i'm sure would have been directly connected to the operating wires. A simple instruction 'when both arms are off remove detonator' would suffice in this case, however this would not work with the more complicated March repeater..

Richard, thanks for the update, now makes sense. Best Wishes, Mick.

I have a two arm LMS repeater that i'm sure would have been directly connected to the operating wires. A simple instruction 'when both arms are off remove detonator' would suffice in this case, however this would not work with the more complicated March repeater..

• RMweb Premium
What as become of the bridge at Harrogate? I thought it remained in use, can anyone please confirm? Mick Nicholson

Still in use, Mick. A couple of pictures, taken legally last year:

post-31-0-48538100-1311374520_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-76917700-1311374550_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see it still in use - hopefully it will end up on the NYMR like the Falsgrave bridge.

As this is the last one of these McKenzie & Holland signal bridges (or is there yet another lurking somewhere?) does anyone know if this is a listed structure, as the Falsgrave bridge was? If it is, then it will almost certainly have to be preserved somewhere; if not, then ....

Cheers

Mike

• 1 month later...

Well after various building 'excursions' into locomotives and one or two other things, I'm now back to finishing the two signal bridges on this thread. First one to be completed will be the Hessle Haven down signal bridge, with the NER slotted posts and lower quadrants.

I've made and fitted the two landings for the down main doll and the ladders have been cut and strengthened with 0.3 mm wire. These ladders had an unusual arrangement in that they joined the decking at the same place, though these ladders are not yet fixed and won't be until all of the linkage is done. I've started the linkages on the down slow doll and also begun to cut and fit the handrail stanchions.

So far, everything seems to work.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-03931500-1315921425.jpg

Archived