Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Railway Modelling - A Hobby turned Luxury?

Here's the thing, with RTR you know the price up front, you pay it and it's literally ready to plonk on your layout.  With kits you can spread the cost but it will inevitability exceed the RTR price......plus all the hopefully enjoyable time putting it all together......then you need paint, transfers, name plates, etc.  So from my perspective £250 will give me on and off 6 months of pleasure.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PMP said:

‘Value’ for money is always a personal perception though, and doesn’t take into account things like product and manufacturer  costs. £60 for a contemporary detailed coach is becoming normalised and a price the hobby will need to get used to.

0D6DCCBF-36C1-4E9C-A7A3-EF401D24B5F0.jpeg.6c2fcd28772af47f8582194e5d8dcffd.jpeg

However there will always be pure luxury goods where value is only in the eye of the beholder…

Sums up all hobbies, you can get into cycling for next to nothing, you don't need to spend £20k on it

• Like 3

And, if you had £20k to spend on a bike, even if you happened to be a woman, and you happened to really like mega-excessive bling, you'd be insane to spend it on that; the whole front-end geometry looks wrong, and it would likely to be awkward and uncomfortable to ride, its sort of like a wheeled zimmer frame.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

you'd be insane to spend it on that

It looks like it's been designed by someone who doesn't know how to design a bike. I'm sure Louis Vuitton could have employed someone with the necessary skills, but those aren't for riding, they're for artfully placing in places they can be shown off. Which is a hobby in itself, though not one I can see the appeal of.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

If it's any consolation, I'm expecting my eagerly anticipated new Bachmann Bulleid coaches to emerge at prices significantly north of £70 a throw! 

Yesterday I received an email with this announcement:

image.png.108ef119dbf0fc492d1726651f2cb04c.png

image.png.1c789795cfd6fb3adc4af9003ad86117.png

That is £2800 for a coach (but you have to buy four). You can still order;)

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Funny 3

22 hours ago, sncf231e said:

Yesterday I received an email with this announcement:

image.png.108ef119dbf0fc492d1726651f2cb04c.png

image.png.1c789795cfd6fb3adc4af9003ad86117.png

That is £2800 for a coach (but you have to buy four). You can still order;)

Regards

Fred

That's astronomically expensive, but I would imagine that they are worth every Penny Centime being largely hand built and Gauge One.