LNER diagram 275 Restaurant Buffet coach photos.

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

I am after information on the two Diagram 275 Restaurant Buffet Cars, LNER numbers 24287 and 24288, later BR numbers E9195E and E9196E, before E9195E was rebuilt to a buffet almost the same as a standard Gresley buffet or E9196E was withdrawn.

Does anyone have photos or know of photos showing the kitchen side?

The diagram shows the corridor side, and that was not altered when E9195E was rebuilt.  The reproduction of the diagram in Hugh Longworth's excellent pre-nationalisation coaching book isn't clear enough for me to make out the window arrangement on the kitchen side.

I have commenced on a model of E9195E after rebuilding as I have found loads of photos of it in maroon and blue grey (and as persevered in teak) but so far none of either as built. I would like to build E9196 as well.

Thank you for reading this.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

Thanks Robert.

The coaches I am after photos of are a pair of Gresley Restaurant Buffet Cars.

Here is E9195E after rebuilding to a buffet only coach 

New Mills South Junction

Photo from Flickr by ee20213

The corridor side differs from a Dia 167 Buffet.

Here it is as preserved, showing the kitchen side after rebuilding which is almost the same as a Dia 167 buffet

Gresley Buffet at 'Steamtown'

Photo form Flickr.

Mike Trice as been very kind and sent me some drawings that show the original kitchen side. I think all I need now is a photo in either crimson and cream or maroon livery of E9195E before rebuilding and E9196E to see if the lettering was just BUFFET or RESTAURANT or BUFFET CAR or RESTAURANT CAR or RESTAURANT BUFFET or RESTAURANT BUFFET CAR.

I have made a start on E9195E as rebuilt.

002a.jpg.7272d8968703fedb0070f667d9a97808.jpg

The sides are now glued together.

I have also started E1705E from Tri-ang Thompson coaches.

016.jpg.6bd5e62bc3fd11325de57710e9e63f5b.jpg

Thanks again Robert for the photo.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Mike Trice as been very kind and sent me some drawings that show the original kitchen side. I think all I need now is a photo in either crimson and cream or maroon livery of E9195E before rebuilding and E9196E to see if the lettering was just BUFFET or RESTAURANT or BUFFET CAR or RESTAURANT CAR or RESTAURANT BUFFET or RESTAURANT BUFFET CAR.

According to the "British Railways Lettering and Numbering of Coaching Stock" they were labelled BUFFET RESTAURANT CAR. David Faulkner's PDF states you were the source of the original document.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, mark54 said:

According to the "British Railways Lettering and Numbering of Coaching Stock" they were labelled BUFFET RESTAURANT CAR. David Faulkner's PDF states you were the source of the original document.

Hi Mark

Thank you, I now have my "British Railways Lettering and Numbering of Coaching Stock" book in front of me opened on page 34, and it clearly shows a dia 275. I feel a right plonker I had the information already.

195352398_dia275label.png.8b1957ad075a9ee9492842bc5d29bdcd.png

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4