LMS compound letter and number info

mswjr

Hi all, I am ready to paint and letter a Gauge one midland compound in post midland LMS red. this is mainly because the wheel diameter is the smaller , the same as LMS loco.

I am asking as i have no idea about LMS liverys, and i am limited to what i can get in transfers in this scale, So can i ask are the numbers and letters in the period 1920s to late 30s in gold or the yellow, 

As this seems to be the colour whilst searching the web, sorry to be a pain but i have spent an age online but i am getting no where.

Thanyou

Garry

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mswjr said:

Hi all, I am ready to paint and letter a Gauge one midland compound in post midland LMS red. this is mainly because the wheel diameter is the smaller , the same as LMS loco.

I am asking as i have no idea about LMS liverys, and i am limited to what i can get in transfers in this scale, So can i ask are the numbers and letters in the period 1920s to late 30s in gold or the yellow, 

As this seems to be the colour whilst searching the web, sorry to be a pain but i have spent an age online but i am getting no where.

Fox do a range of LMS transfers for Gauge 1 (10 mm/ft scale). As far as I can see, their range only covers the post-1927 livery (LMS on the tender, locomotive number on the cab side) - the Midland-derived 1923-27 livery (18" numerals on the tender, roundel on the cab side) doesn't seem to be catered for. But throughout all this period Compounds were red, so gold-shaded-black is I think generally correct (though no doubt there were exceptions). It ought to end up looking something like this:

image.png.68443c95ad822ecf6245efbf759c506d.png

That being an LMS Standard Compound with LH drive and 6'9" wheels, rather than a Midland Compound with RH drive and 7'0" wheels.

• Informative/Useful 1

If I was painting a model that scale then I would buy the books or borrow them from a library and make sure I got it right.

They were pretty much a lottery on what livery they were and size of letters/numbers.

IIRC the LMS built ones were being repainted black by the early 1930s as part of the rationalisation of liveries, along with locos such as the Crabs.

Early ones will be large gold numbers with LMS Roundel on cabside. Those got a repaint pretty quickly to put the number on the cabside and LMS on tender.

spacer.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Compound_4-4-0

LMS Loco Profiles No.13 The Standard Compounds

Hunt, Jennison & Essery    174 pages    Softback    2011

Chapter and verse on the good looking and powerful "Compounds", full drawings and technical details of construction, variations and performance . With their origins being with the Midland Railway and overshadowed by later designs they nonetheless make an interesting subject.

https://www.titfield.co.uk/Wild-Swan/Locomotives.htm

And this should have details of most liveries. I would post some details, but I can't find my copy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-History-L-M-S-Locomotives-Absorbed-Pre-group/dp/0947971165

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

IIRC the LMS built ones were being repainted black by the early 1930s as part of the rationalisation of liveries, along with locos such as the Crabs.

The Compounds, Midland and Standard, were the only 4-4-0s to keep the express passenger livery - red - in the 1927 scheme, and retained it right through the 1930s. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thankyou all for the info much Appreciated, Compound2632, it will be a L H drive as the only ejector i could get ( i think that is the bit on the s /box side ) is a L H , so that picture you put up may be the loco i do, 

Garry

• Agree 1