W&N Layout Tour Video

dave1905

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, dave1905 said:

I created a layout tour video of my W&N Branch layout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9GdDoAJQU

Hi Dave, thanks for sharing this link - a really well produced video, very informative, some excellent modelling and a really great prototype-based layout in the making already.  Thanks, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I do like "work in progress" photos & videos of layouts. It's interesting to see things that will be hidden later, like scenery construction, and suchlike. Also it makes me feel better about my own unfinished layout!! ;) :mosking:

I noticed lots of 'ring binder' loop type fixings around parts of the fascia. What are they for?

They are car card holders.  They allow you to line up the car cards in front of you while you are switching or arranging the tracks.  The "stick" is a bamboo skewer used for uncoupling the cars, they also make nifty holders for the skewers.

BinderComb1.jpg

Edited by dave1905
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

A lot of people use J strip, like the edging for siding or paneling.  I prefer the binder combs because they are "soft" and they are springy, so clamp the car cards, making them less likely to fall, get knocked or blow over.  They are less attractive than a slot or a J strip painted to match the fascia.

24 ft by 24 ft.  40-48 in wide aisles, 20-30 in deep scenes, 48-52 in above the floor.  27 in normal main track radius, 24 in minimum radius.  #6 switches at siding ends, #5 switches in industries and yards, a few #4 in industries.  Main track is code 70 handlaid.  Sidings, yard tracks and industries are a mix of code 70 and code 55 handlaid.  Helix and hidden tracks are a mix of code 83 and code 100 flex.  I use NCE DCC, tethered throttles at 2 yards, radio elsewhere.  There are about 220 cars on the layout, four 0-6-0 switch engines, two 4-4-0 passenger engines and about 4-5 road engines (mostly 2-8-0 with a 4-6-0 occasionally).  The majority of the cars on the layout are scratchbuilt, kitbashed or resin/wood kits.  I use KD #58 couplers and Intermountain code 88 wheels.

Edited by dave1905
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...