Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Here are a couple of our formation guides to provide further inspiration! Just click on them to enlarge.

Accurascale_BR_Mk.2b_formations_-_1_Corp

Accurascale_BR_Mk.2b_formations_-_2_Earl

Cheers!

Fran 

You’re certainly providing the inspiration!

Another great release and hopefully will lead onto the rest of the Mk2 types at some point. Certainly setting the standard! Now if you can just provide everything else on there too that will be excellent!! ;-)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Growling said:

Great Info. Still got my Platform 5s somewhere but they are 200 miles away currently.

Any ideas if they were still around by 1990?

Planning on running all manner of loco-hauled in lieu of the teething problems with Sprinterisation that occurred in 89/90 and wondering whether to get any.

Rich.

Hi Rich,

Inverness still had 4 2b TSOs allocated there in 1991 but they had been withdrawn or transferred away by 1992, while Craigentinny had a single example, all in the PISX pool.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, steve1023 said:

Hi chaps. Could you confirm if the NSE liveried coaches are the earlier light blue or later dark blue please. The artwork seems to be the earlier blue which would be good - particularly the models 5455 & 5462, also on 5455 it appears to have a depot sticker? On the red stripe beneath the number - what depot is it please.

Steve 

Keeping my fingers crossed for the lighter blue too... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, steve1023 said:

Hi chaps. Could you confirm if the NSE liveried coaches are the earlier light blue or later dark blue please. The artwork seems to be the earlier blue which would be good - particularly the models 5455 & 5462, also on 5455 it appears to have a depot sticker? On the red stripe beneath the number - what depot is it please.

Steve 

Hi Steve,

All will be NSE light blue, as were the majority of the real thing. The depot sticker on 5455 is for Laira (LA)

LA.jpg.9289582163337e7c2499d1e7a9ca2f43.jpg

Cheers,

Fran 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

.....one in normal service in Scotland. ( No.5401 on the left.)

333_16.jpg.9c59621f92bf00af2d6d4a94e47c7264.jpg

Perth 28/8/88

No 5401 on the left is a Mk2a, the door is a big give away and also Mk2b are in the number range 5434 - 5497.

I guess Mk2b weren’t quite as rare in Scotland in the late 1980s, which was also around the time when I had the usual teenage loss of interest in railways, not helped by ‘Sprinterisation’ either.

Brian.

59 minutes ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Indeed, I’m just looking at my Platform 5 book from 1988 and there were no less than 8 of the allocated to ScR. 4 at IS and 4 at Polmadie. 

Hmmmm ......... looks like you fell into the same trap as I did ! ..... the 1988 Platform 5 tabulates Nos 5387 to 5433 as Mk2bs whereas they should be with 5346 to 5386 as Mk2as ! ( That includes the apparent Inverness four.)

The 1990 situation moves one of the Polmadie four to Derby and one to Inverness - to join loads of 2as.

10 minutes ago, turbos said:

No 5401 on the left is a Mk2a, the door is a big give away and also Mk2b are in the number range 5434 - 5497.

I guess Mk2b weren’t quite as rare in Scotland in the late 1980s, which was also around the time when I had the usual teenage loss of interest in railways, not helped by ‘Sprinterisation’ either.

Brian.

Am I missing something here? There are no Mk2b's in this photo. The BSO is a Mk2c (there being no Mk2b BSO's)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rich,

Inverness still had 4 2b TSOs allocated there in 1991 but they had been withdrawn or transferred away by 1992, while Craigentinny had a single example, all in the PISX pool.

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran.

Echoing SRyans comments from earlier it's this kind of enthusiasm and engagement that really makes Accurascale announcements and products rise head and shoulders above the majority of the competition. 

These are a wonderful addition. The detail and price is great.

Is Wickham Green calling the IS ones into question? 

But still a few at Polmadie?  Ultimately I am not too bothered about strict accuracy but always nice to know the gen!

Rich.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Scottish 2b TSO allocations
From 1988 P5: Polmadie x3
From 1989 P5: Polmadie x1, Craigentinny x2
From Spring 1990 P5: Inverness x1, Polmadie x2, Craigentinny x2
From Summer/Autumn 1990 P5: Inverness x2, Craigentinny x4
From Spring 1991 P5: Inverness x4, Craigentinny x1

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Fran 

That's a good library of P5s!

Really keen to dig mine out next time I get the opportunity for many bits of info.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Fran 

As a few known typos crept into the P5 (as mentioned further up the thread), are there any photographs of a Mk2b on a normal service in Scotland?

Brian.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, turbos said:

As a few known typos crept into the P5 (as mentioned further up the thread), are there any photographs of a Mk2b on a normal service in Scotland?

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Sure. Here's some!

47541 'The Queen Mother' 15.05 Aberdeen-Inverness, Keith 27.05.1990

First vehicle is a Mk.2b TSO with ScotRail branding, second is a 2c TSO(T), rest are 2/2a47541 'The Queen Mother' 15.05 Aberdeen-Inverness, Keith 27.05.1990

Class 47 47541 The Queen Mother

First vehicle is a Mk.2b TSO with ScotRail branding, then a 2c BSO, a 2/2a TSO, then a 2c CK (half declassified from first class47617 University of Stirling at Wades Bridge, Dalwhinnie, on the 0644 Inverness-Glasgow. 27th April 1989

HOLIDAYS IN THE HIGHLANDS

47 578 1B34 1438 Inverness - Edinburgh

A couple of Mk.2c, a couple of 2/2a and a Mk.2b TSO at the rear:47578 1B34 1438 Inverness - Edinburgh on May 23, 1990

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

Are there big visual differences between 2b and 2c apart from roof vents?  Was just reading that the 2c were originally a second batch of 2b and the differentiating c code came a little later. Just wondering how big the difference is...

14 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Brian,

Sure. Here's some!

47541 'The Queen Mother' 15.05 Aberdeen-Inverness, Keith 27.05.1990

First vehicle is a Mk.2b TSO with ScotRail branding, second is a 2c TSO(T), rest are 2/2a47541 'The Queen Mother' 15.05 Aberdeen-Inverness, Keith 27.05.1990

Class 47 47541 The Queen Mother

First vehicle is a Mk.2b TSO with ScotRail branding, then a 2c BSO, a 2/2a TSO, then a 2c CK (half declassified from first class47617 University of Stirling at Wades Bridge, Dalwhinnie, on the 0644 Inverness-Glasgow. 27th April 1989

HOLIDAYS IN THE HIGHLANDS

47 578 1B34 1438 Inverness - Edinburgh

A couple of Mk.2c, a couple of 2/2a and a Mk.2b TSO at the rear:47578 1B34 1438 Inverness - Edinburgh on May 23, 1990

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran!

Nice pics, definitely a Mk2b in each of these pictures, though mostly 2a and 2c. Sadly outside my modelling period but good to see nonetheless.

Brian.

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

Are there big visual differences between 2b and 2c apart from roof vents?  Was just reading that the 2c were originally a second batch of 2b and the differentiating c code came a little later. Just wondering how big the difference is...

The most obvious body side difference is the toilet window which is more like those used on Air cons.

Mark

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark said:

The most obvious body side difference is the toilet window which is more like those used on Air cons.

Mark

Except for the Mk2c coaches that had the same toilet window as the Mk2b. It’s a complicated subject the Mk2c, the  most obvious difference is the roof, more like a Mk2d but with a few vents which were a mixture of types, just to add to the complexity. These are probably some of the reasons there’s never been a ready - to - run Mk2c.

Brian.

• Like 1

Is it just me or are others assuming there will be a subsequent mk2a and mk2c release from accurascale? Reason for thinking is most of the prototypical rakes (and supported by accurascales own examples) are a mix of various mk2s (a, b, c, etc). Mixing/matching with Bachmann /Hornby stock will look wrong in my opinion (detail, colour, coupling and height differences) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Henners84 said:

Is it just me or are others assuming there will be a subsequent mk2a and mk2c release from accurascale? Reason for thinking is most of the prototypical rakes (and supported by accurascales own examples) are a mix of various mk2s (a, b, c, etc). Mixing/matching with Bachmann /Hornby stock will look wrong in my opinion (detail, colour, coupling and height differences) 

There is certainly some ;-) going on on the Facebook comments when mk2c was mentioned.

I don't think you will be far wrong with the whole lot being done in good time especially re; lighting and coupling points.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hmm sounds like tooling for a 2b could have allowances to cater for different toilet window / roof vents for producing a 2c then....?!  Less likely the 2a due different length and more substantial differences. Time will tell but a 2c would go down well with me - particularly if included a TSO with a buffet bay as per highland lines

Edited by Matt
  • Agree 3