Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Lets be honest, they may not admit it, but the 2c will follow on from this. There was only 111 2b made, and a further 250 2c. Don`t think they will be going to all this effort for just 111 coaches (plus the Irish versions) do you?

As mentioned previously in this thread there has already been an NIR 2C announced so a BR one will no doubt follow. The numbers as you point out, also make this seem inevitable.

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/mark-2-coaches/products/nir-mk2b-pack-corporate-intercity-1

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Ah, but did the 2c ever catch the boat to the Emerald Isle?

As per the link I posted to the NIR coach pack.

NIR bought new 2Bs but they also bought some used ones from BR as well as 5 x 2Cs. One of those 5 is in one of the NIR triple packs announced yesterday. They even put one of their mk2s into service on a cross border train before repainting it. I have seen a photo of a mk2 in blue/grey in Dublin Connolly station. :)

Edited by BR Blue
More info
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Irish Rail also bought a handful of ex BR 2c's in the late 80's.

That BR blue and grey in Dublin picture was of a 2e or 2f. Definitely one of the air con ones anyway.

NIR Coach 91 in 1989:

91Mark2.jpeg

Edited by Csalem
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

As per the link I posted to the NIR coach pack.

NIR bought new 2Bs but they also bought some used ones from BR as well as 5 x 2Cs. One of those 5 is in one of the NIR triple packs announced yesterday. They even put one of their mk2s into service on a cross border train before repainting it. I have seen a photo of a mk2 in blue/grey in Dublin Connolly station. :)

Some of the Mk2s that NIR and Irish Rail purchased ( both new and second hand) were sold to the RPSI

RPSI  also purchased some second hand from various operators in GB, including ,I believe, some swaps with GB heritage lines resulting in ex LMS coaches returning to GB after being in Ireland since they were brought over in WW2 as an emergency stop gap following the Belfast blitz.

https://www.steamtrainsireland.com/stocklist-carriages-north

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this because I don't expect people to agree. I contacted accurascale last night via their website who commented there would not be a mk2a product from them. I didn't ask about the mk2c. Whilst understand the mk2a would need different tooling parts, it does feel a bit of a miss to me. 

I love accurascale's products. I personally don't need the detail to be 100% accurate to prototype but I very much enjoy seeing the detail there. In my mind my model railway needs to evoke my past memories accurately so detail is great and models need the right look and feel and proportion and finish. I probably would not notice a slightly different air vent. However I do recall the mk2 rakes having a combo of centre door and non centre door stock. Having all centre door or all non centre door feels wrong to me as it is not the illusion I recall. I can fix for this by adding a mix of Bachmann and accurascale stock but I feel the detail of accurascale's model will make the Bachmann coupled next to it very toy like and spoil the illusion I'd like to achieve (it will emphasise Bachmann's lack of detail - harder to see if the accurascale product does not exist). So I am in two minds. I don't thin the Bachmann and accurascale models will look good together. So do I get a rake of accurascale mk2bs and spoil the illusion I want of some centre door coaches. Or do I stick with Bachmann and fix that illusion by tactically using coridor mk2a coaches to represent the non centre door mk2bs. The Bachmann route is certainly not correct but it may actually be a better compromise of the illusion I am going for. And after all model railways are about compromise and illusion. That's why I feel accurascale have missed a trick here but maybe its just me? 

Tricky one. I am sure quite a segment of customers would love the complimentary 2a's particularly with the new features and close coupling etc.

A lot would ditch their Bachmann ones for the extra features I am sure (I know I would). 

But it comes down to commercials for Accurascale and they probably believe in the short to medium term there is more to go at with other segments of the market where there are no models. The 2a market will by definition be smaller because of other manufacturers previously doing them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

I'm just glad nobody is screaming "duplication" at us. If we had've announced Mark 2a coaches........ 

Promise I won't shout 'duplication' at you if you announce some mk2as. Desparate to build a full mix rake of accurascale As and Bs. 

Just noticed there isn't an NSE brake coach. Possibly something for batch 2?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

I'm just glad nobody is screaming "duplication" at us. If we had've announced Mark 2a coaches........ 

You can't win sometimes with the modelling crowd as is evidenced by some of the silly facebook comments about the prices! 

As you rightly point out the prices and features compared to the competition represent great value for money which I think is what most modellers look for. They will pay the money if it is value for money.

If you want railroad go buy it, or buy some second hand ones on eBay. 

For what it's worth I think probably over 75% who know Accurascale models so far will be very much brand loyal and would buy into a 2a product even if it is duplication because they want the higher fidelity and features / compatibility. As you say though the best way is to buy some 2bs (and 2cs!) first!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Just wondering, have the engineering prototypes been tested with "other manufacturer's" items to see how the close coupling system interfaces with say Mk1 BG and Buffets?  Having watched the Hornby mag video I can't imagine there would be a problem with running, I just wonder how the stock will look given we will all need to run them with some form of catering vehicle (Enterprise excepted).

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, wombatofludham said:

Just wondering, have the engineering prototypes been tested with "other manufacturer's" items to see how the close coupling system interfaces with say Mk1 BG and Buffets?  Having watched the Hornby mag video I can't imagine there would be a problem with running, I just wonder how the stock will look given we will all need to run them with some form of catering vehicle (Enterprise excepted).

Hi @wombatofludham

As part of our testing they will be tried with other coaches to ensure they operate well. Locos have posed no problems so far and we dont envisage any other coaching stock to do so either.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @wombatofludham

As part of our testing they will be tried with other coaches to ensure they operate well. Locos have posed no problems so far and we dont envisage any other coaching stock to do so either.

Cheers!

Fran 

If you get the chance it would be great to see some video!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

if your coaches are as good as your wagons, and have ever faith they will be. I think you will be hearing the words “duplicate” ringing in your ears soon. Just so people can have a full mix rake or equal quality. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

50 minutes ago, Growling said:

You can't win sometimes with the modelling crowd as is evidenced by some of the silly facebook comments about the prices! 

As you rightly point out the prices and features compared to the competition represent great value for money which I think is what most modellers look for. They will pay the money if it is value for money.

If you want railroad go buy it, or buy some second hand ones on eBay. 

For what it's worth I think probably over 75% who know Accurascale models so far will be very much brand loyal and would buy into a 2a product even if it is duplication because they want the higher fidelity and features / compatibility. As you say though the best way is to buy some 2bs (and 2cs!) first!

It's horses for courses basically. Being mostly a transition era modeller, I do have a handful of Bachmann Mk2as which I consider to be a good model. There are other things in my priority list to spend my modelling budget before displacing my Bachmann Mk2as for Accurascale versions. Particularly if they announce more transition era wagons like the Conflat L and transition era tank and a transition era iron ore hopper and ...................

Others may well wish to upgrade their MK2as

Oh and you will always get the duplication warriors Fran - steel yourself !!!!

Edited by Covkid
Add
  • Funny 1