Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

**** me, I've just been reading some of the comments over on Faceache about the price.  Where do these people live, Narnia?  Sixty sheets is what others charge for coaches without lighting and with a fraction of the detail of these.  Clearly some people need to have a word with themselves and see how much Bachmann charge for their fully lit Mk2f rakes.  Don't get me wrong, lovely coaches and I have a complete rake but they are expensive enough to have dissuaded me from investing in a second rake.

How you guys remain so calm in the face of the whining of some on Faceache I'll never know.  Does Guinness add Valium to their product?

Absolutely right Mark.  Fundamentally agree even if it is just the non decoder lighting which I believe has some stay alive capability, and is switched on and off with a wand. I think the Bachmann Mk2f with the gimmicky tail lamp arrangement shows what a really good investment the Accurascale Mk2b will be.    

Edited by Covkid
Rewording
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Promise I won't shout 'duplication' at you if you announce some mk2as. Desparate to build a full mix rake of accurascale As and Bs. 

Just noticed there isn't an NSE brake coach. Possibly something for batch 2?

Hopefully there’s an NSE mk2c BFK (along with a TSOT) in batch 2. That’s what I’m holding out for

anyway.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Promise I won't shout 'duplication' at you if you announce some mk2as. Desparate to build a full mix rake of accurascale As and Bs. 

Just noticed there isn't an NSE brake coach. Possibly something for batch 2?

Hopefully there’s an NSE mk2c BFK (along with a TSOT) in batch 2. That’s what I’m holding out for

anyway.

Another train I'm looking to model is the Southampton Docks boat trains in the NSE era. I already own the NSE GUV, and a couple of Bachmann NSE Mk2a FKs, but these now go for more than the price of the Accurascale ones on eBay so happy to buy a few Mk2bs.... assuming they are good for the rake? Here's the pic, if someone can confirm the formation that would be awesome.

73 005 'Mid Hants Watercress Line' approaches Clapham Junction on the 10.15 Southampton Western Docks - Waterloo boat train

• Like 9

2 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Another train I'm looking to model is the Southampton Docks boat trains in the NSE era. I already own the NSE GUV, and a couple of Bachmann NSE Mk2a FKs, but these now go for more than the price of the Accurascale ones on eBay so happy to buy a few Mk2bs.... assuming they are good for the rake? Here's the pic, if someone can confirm the formation that would be awesome.

73 005 'Mid Hants Watercress Line' approaches Clapham Junction on the 10.15 Southampton Western Docks - Waterloo boat train

If this set is the one I think it is, then the set would have been all FKs and BFKs (with a GUV on the end) the FKs would have been a mixture of MK2a, MK2b and early MK2c (the ones with the MK2b toilet windows), with either a MK2a or MK2c BFK in the middle.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

The first three in the rake (after the GUV) certainly look like Mk 2B or Mk 2C coaches. I can't make out the rest on my smaller screen at present. I like the use of 73 005 here, which gives me an excuse to purchase a few of the Accurascale NSE models and to use my largely unused 73 004 in similar (but not identical) NSE blue livery for a bit (a Lima body on a newer Hornby chassis). 

P_20190102_235734_vHDR_On.jpg.a7c07f5f151e5dacab2ae918ca96668c.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking someone needs to arrange a big win on the lottery for me with all these models coming out. My wallet is looking very thin...

While I'm typing, is there any accomodation in these models for a DCC decoder at all?

I've also been thinking it's about time for a manufacturer to do a 'cheap' function only decoder (in quantity to make the economies of scale work) for features in coaches and wagons, like for operating the couplings, lighting, some kind of brake, etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I've also been thinking it's about time for a manufacturer to do a 'cheap' function only decoder (in quantity to make the economies of scale work) for features in coaches and wagons, like for operating the couplings, lighting, some kind of brake, etc.

Unlikely to happen while the chip shortage is so tight the car factories are shutting down.

But I agree in principle 

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I'm thinking someone needs to arrange a big win on the lottery for me with all these models coming out. My wallet is looking very thin...

While I'm typing, is there any accomodation in these models for a DCC decoder at all?

From the preview in the Hornby Magazine video on YouTube, no decoders are needed apart from in the driving trailer of the Irish variants. The lighting works on DC or DCC from the track, with a magnetic switch to turn them on or off.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, Covkid said:

Absolutely right Mark.  Fundamentally agree even if it is just the non decoder lighting which I believe has some stay alive capability, and is switched on and off with a wand. I think the Bachmann Mk2f with the gimmicky tail lamp arrangement shows what a really good investment the Accurascale Mk2b will be.    

Gimmicky? Fair enough if you don’t like lights but with diesels and electrics increasingly fitted with lights which would do justice to film set spotlights, tail lights on non-MU trains are overdue. All praise to Bachmann for doing it. I’m not forgetting Accurascale’s tail lights on PTAs either. :good:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Unlikely to happen while the chip shortage is so tight the car factories are shutting down.

But I agree in principle 

I strongly suspect that the manufacturing cost reduction compared with a basic 'normal' decoder would be so small it wouldn't be worth the hassle unless you were making millions.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, No Decorum said:

Gimmicky? Fair enough if you don’t like lights but with diesels and electrics increasingly fitted with lights which would do justice to film set spotlights, tail lights on non-MU trains are overdue. All praise to Bachmann for doing it. I’m not forgetting Accurascale’s tail lights on PTAs either. :good:

Our HYA / IIA range also include tail lights (at no additional cost) but they've now been fitted with the same mag-relay technology that's in these coaches, meaning a wave of the wand will activate / deactivate, rather than micro-switches which we're looking to do away with on all stock.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, SRman said:

From the preview in the Hornby Magazine video on YouTube, no decoders are needed apart from in the driving trailer of the Irish variants. The lighting works on DC or DCC from the track, with a magnetic switch to turn them on or off.

That's all very well and is a sensible compromise by the manufacturers, but some DCC modellers will still want to use their DCC system to turn such auxiliaries on/off without resorting to magnetic wands.  There must be a market for a minimalist general-purpose dirt cheap function-only decoder (by which I mean even cheaper than the Lais decoders).

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That's all very well and is a sensible compromise by the manufacturers, but some DCC modellers will still want to use their DCC system to turn such auxiliaries on/off without resorting to magnetic wands.  There must be a market for a minimalist general-purpose dirt cheap function-only decoder (by which I mean even cheaper than the Lais decoders).

At the moment, chip suppliers can't even supply 'regular' chips, directing all components to the manufacture of the higher value sound DCC chips. At the moment, we can't even source 'function' decoders due to the global microchip shortages. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, McC said:

At the moment, chip suppliers can't even supply 'regular' chips, directing all components to the manufacture of the higher value sound DCC chips. At the moment, we can't even source 'function' decoders due to the global microchip shortages. 

Absolutely, in my day job I'm finding even fairly mundane electronic components have gone from 4 week lead time to 50 :O

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

51 minutes ago, McC said:

Our HYA / IIA range also include tail lights (at no additional cost) but they've now been fitted with the same mag-relay technology that's in these coaches, meaning a wave of the wand will activate / deactivate, rather than micro-switches which we're looking to do away with on all stock.

Any chance this technology will be made available separately ? - for us to add to vehicles you're never going to produce yourselves ( Though who knows what that word 'never' means in an Accurascale context ? ).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SRman said:

You're just re-iterating what is already known. I'm looking at the potential for the capability to use DCC for controlling lights and not being restricted to manual methods.

@Michael Hodgson I agree chip shortages are a big problem right now, and any attempt to produce a 'cheap' function only decoder isn't going to be worth it until these supply problems are sorted out.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

You're just re-iterating what is already known. I'm looking at the potential for the capability to use DCC for controlling lights and not being restricted to manual methods.

Pickups are on both bogies, wired via a stayalive capacitor to the lighting circuits via a magnetic relay. 

It would be a relatively small job to remove the mag relay and pop a small function decoder into the same position in the circuit, thus gaining DCC control should it be wished.

Edited by McC
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Function only decoders are already available, the cheap part is relative I guess - most people are unlikely to ever want them so I doubt you will ever get the volume to go much cheaper.

https://www.digitrax.com/products/function-decoders/tf4/

Edited by mdvle

3 hours ago, Ian J. said:

How cheap is cheap?

ESU make a function only decoder for €20 or so:

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/lokpilot/lokpilot-5-fx/