Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

• RMweb Gold

There has been much speculation on Flickr about this photo of Kensington Olympia, but one thing remains unresolved. What is that coach in the bay platform? Is it a NIR driving trailer of some description? Taken, it is thought, in Sep 1969.

Kensington Olympia 1960's

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 30/08/2021 at 09:40, Waverley47708 said:

Great news, have been hoping for these for a while. 

Bit of discussion earlier on about how often they were seen in Scotland and about allocation.  I think there was a reference to some being allocated to Scotland.  I've had a look at my 1985, 86, 87 and 88 Platform 5. There are 5 or 6 TSO allocations to Scottish locations in the 88 one.  Possibly 5 at IS and 1 at PC.

I've attached photos if it is of interest to anyone.

I may get a couple to include in my 1985/86 Cross Country portion trains as I'm sure I've seen 2b or 2c amongst DE and Fs arrivimg at Waverley back then.  And (if produced) a couple of Mk2c coaches to include in my internal Scottish services.

I've included the 2c in eager anticipation.

20210830_091555.jpg.84ebdf609414df5190758a80464478eb.jpg

20210830_091612.jpg.37c9fed2ba14515e3781248c65835f12.jpg

20210830_091643.jpg.a629d3423a648b59223b85d032c27bdd.jpg

20210830_092629.jpg.9cdf62a73c84882e0d2a4f9fb07af813.jpg

1988 continued

20210830_092651.jpg.f821981a102c51f3be655f653b7d921d.jpg

There's evidence there Callum, that you were taking coach numbers back then...... I can get you help if you need it! :yahoo:

1 hour ago, stovepipe said:

... What is that coach in the bay platform? Is it a NIR driving trailer of some description? ...

A wide gangway like that could only be 80 class in N.I.R. context and you'd see the headlight above ..... moreover 1969 is a little early - and must be about right as the 6TC only existed from 1965 to 1970.

What appears to be a driving window must be an illusion and this must be a new B.R. Mk2b  as nothing earlier has red(ish) gangway doors.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

A wide gangway like that could only be 80 class in N.I.R. context and you'd see the headlight above ..... moreover 1969 is a little early - and must be about right as the 6TC only existed from 1965 to 1970.

What appears to be a driving window must be an illusion and this must be a new B.R. Mk2b  as nothing earlier has red(ish) gangway doors.

Olympia was often host to exhibition trains, could just be a Mk1 coach with the addition of new end doors, Cinema coach?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, stovepipe said:

There has been much speculation on Flickr about this photo of Kensington Olympia, but one thing remains unresolved. What is that coach in the bay platform? Is it a NIR driving trailer of some description? Taken, it is thought, in Sep 1969.

Kensington Olympia 1960's

Kensington Trainex 1969 exhibition coach ?

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p708567963/h1BAA606D#h36907e7

Looking again, it seems that what I thought were Mk2 folding gangway doors is more likely a gangway cover. The 1969 Trainex coaches are Staniers - as were most of the Exhibition fleet - but a wider, folding cover would suggest one of the Mk1s ...... exhibiting something else, presumably.

[ probably a topic for another thread ]

4 hours ago, gridwatcher said:

There's evidence there Callum, that you were taking coach numbers back then...... I can get you help if you need it! :yahoo:

Sadly (I think) my mum threw out my 1985 combined edition so I lost all my records.

The underlined book was bought second hand, Judging by the underlines it looks to have been owned from someone in tbe South West but who must have visited Scotland.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

Sadly (I think) my mum threw out my 1985 combined edition so I lost all my records.

The underlined book was bought second hand, Judging by the underlines it looks to have been owned from someone in tbe South West but who must have visited Scotland.

I believe you! (probably) :dance:

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Henners84 said:

Yup, the answer will help answer the question on which (if any!) of the bachmanns are the correct height

I think it is the that 2As are not the correct height and they do not match the 1s. They could both be wrong :) Not much in it in fairness.

Edited by BR Blue

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Henners84 said:

Yup, the answer will help answer the question on which (if any!) of the bachmanns are the correct height

As I said...

On 26/08/2021 at 13:14, AY Mod said:

And height but they will look better alongside Bach/Hornby Mk1 stock.

Mk2height 2.jpgMk2height 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

Glad to see that they seem to sit together well. Hopefully a rake with a mixture of B/A and hopefully a C at some point will look great. As it’s been pointed out the bogie frames are a bit warped at the centre, so that seems to be pushing up the end of the coach. So in production, they should match even better with the 2A. Thank you for the photos, most welcome. Shows the step up from a detailed coach a few years ago to what is available now at a similar cost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Apologies for going off topic - but surely anyone who calls themselves a "modeller" can suss out how to slip a 20thou ( or whatever ) shim between Bachmann bogie and body to achieve 49.5mm rail to roof.

Meanwhile, back at Accurascale .....................

Not sure I completely agree. If we are all 'modellers', then surely we should scratch build all our locos and rolling stock? It's a relatively easy fix but an expectation that we should have to alter fundamental issues with rtr stock when a manufacturer should be able to get things right first time is not correct. However, I'm not quite sure how I can reduce the height of the mk1s to match accurascale's mk2b just yet (seems harder to reduce than increase height). 

Also there will be 'modellers' who cannot adjust the height very easily (eg maybe struggle with arthritis or something else that now makes things a bit trickier). 

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Henners84 said:

I'm not quite sure how I can reduce the height of the mk1s to match accurascale's mk2b just yet

You won't need to; stop inventing problems (or reasons not to buy) which potentially puts some other reader off because of your misjudgements.

I look forward to seeing this layout where such critical analysis makes a product which hasn't been delivered yet (or one that you've been quite happy with up to now) the worst thing on the layout.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You won't need to; stop inventing problems (or reasons not to buy) which potentially puts some other reader off because of your misjudgements.

I look forward to seeing this layout where such critical analysis makes a product which hasn't been delivered yet (or one that you've been quite happy with up to now) the worst thing on the layout.

I don't understand. The photos show the Bachmann mk1s sit higher than the accurascale mk2bs. Are you suggesting the photo is not accurate? 

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Henners84 said:

The photos show the Bachmann mk1s sit higher than the accurascale mk2bs.

By how much?

I've posted images that answer your question; there's negligible difference (look at the heights of the ends where they adjoin!) and I'm getting a bit narked that you're inventing stuff. I just won't bother providing information next time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Henners84 said:

I don't understand. The photos show the Bachmann mk1s sit higher than the accurascale mk2bs. Are you suggesting the photo is not accurate? 

It's quite simple, if the height differences upset you so much, just don't buy any Mark 2 coaches from either Bachmann or Accurascale and stick to Mark 1s.

There, sorted.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Yes, wheels do wear - by amounts you'd struggle to measure in 4mm scale - but the suspension should be adjusted to compensate after re-profiling. You're more likely to see a difference between a coach loaded with American tourists and the empty one next to it ..................... and the springs can get a bit flabby over time, too !

• Funny 2