Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

• RMweb Premium
On 01/09/2021 at 08:45, AY Mod said:

As I said...

Mk2height 2.jpgMk2height 1.jpg

Were these photos taken with the wheels on rails (photo-shopped out), or effectively riding on their flanges? The latter will have an impact on relative roof heights.

It's interesting to see that the Accurascale pre-production models sit higher above the bogie than either of Bachmann's models.

Steven B

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Were these photos taken with the wheels on rails (photo-shopped out), or effectively riding on their flanges? The latter will have an impact on relative roof heights.

It's interesting to see that the Accurascale pre-production models sit higher above the bogie than either of Bachmann's models.

Steven B

I also wondered about whether the photos were taken with models on the track or not.

Height above bogies can only really be compared if looking at the same bogie types, as the B4 is so different in shape to a Commonwealth bogie and the wheels are a different size too. The Bachmann Mark 2 body sits a bit too low as discussed earlier in the thread.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

I also wondered about whether the photos were taken with models on the track or not.

No track involved, it was just a quick shot on the desktop.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It always astounds me how much gnashing of teeth there is over imperceptible (to me) height differences in coaches (that are effectively works of model making art) when layouts appear with four track wide tunnel portals with two scale feet of earth cover and a cathedral on top that elicit little adverse comment, as do the glossy deformed model people standing in a puddle of glue.

Perhaps it’s a lockdown/confinement phenomenon.

Then again there is always the old Hornby Mk2 available.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 3

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

It always astounds me how much gnashing of teeth there is over imperceptible (to me) height differences in coaches (that are effectively works of model making art) when layouts appear with four track wide tunnel portals with two scale feet of earth cover and a cathedral on top that elicit little adverse comment, as do the glossy deformed model people standing in a puddle of glue.

Ever noticed we never get to see any layouts pics from the most vociferous nit-pickers? We should get our moment of sport too for suffering them.

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Cheers

Darius

Despite enjoying model railways since the mid 1950s, I only found out that Triang rolling stock was too high when I read about it on RMweb.  It was not something that I was concerned about.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Despite enjoying model railways since the mid 1950s, I only found out that Triang rolling stock was too high when I read about it on RMweb.  It was not something that I was concerned about.

I didn’t know that.  Right that’s my rake of refurbed Triang coaches in the skip then.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 10

42 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

I didn’t know that.  Right that’s my rake of refurbed Triang coaches in the skip then.

Cheers

Darius

What size wheels do they have? Tri-ang made them with normal coach size wheels whereas Mark 2 stock had 3' diameter (12 mm in 4 mm scale) wheels.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Ever noticed we never get to see any layouts pics from the most vociferous nit-pickers? We should get our moment of sport too for suffering them.

Maybe certified nit-pickers should only be allowed to comment once they have posted photos of their own efforts? :)

Luke

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

I believe  FK 13476 was issued to the Eastern Region although the image on the website shows it as W13476.  Should this not be E13476 and will the actual model be as such?

Thanks.

On 26/08/2021 at 16:04, stovepipe said:

A small point - the unbranded FK is shown as W13476 - I believe this was part of the batch that went to the ER initially, as noted in your news release. The WR ones were 13487-13513.

On 26/08/2021 at 16:11, Accurascale Fran said:

Good spot, thanks for that! Shall be amended!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2

I long gave up trying to understand modellers, who seemingly can't grasp the Mk1 eyeball will never be fooled into thinking a model is real simply because the brain knows it is too small.  The obsessives who put models under the microscope forget that adult toy trains are designed to be run on layouts viewed, in the majority of cases, from the equivalent of the top of an office block somewhere in the region of 200 ft from the track.  I challenge even those blessed with the eyes of a crap house rat (an expression, slightly more fruity, once used to describe my eyesight) to spot the proverbial two rivets too many or the 1mm mis-alignment of a buffer from that distance in real life.  I think I'd struggle to spot a 3 inch mis-alignment from the 7th floor 200 ft away from the track.

But hey, I'm a box opening impressionistic modeller who plays trains, what the hell do I know.

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

On 02/09/2021 at 04:26, D400 said:

The phrase is "let sleeping dogs lie" but I would like to comment on this. 

First of all I'm sure that Henners84 is not alone in being frustrated with bogie ride hide issues, quite a lot of people in the market for these wonderful Mk2b's will want to run them in prototypical rakes and the uniformity of train liveries and ride hide is quite important to me also. 

It was always going to be a big gamble for Accurascale to make product that many will want to use with another manufacture's products and I am certain Fran and guys at Accurascale are well aware of this, the Oxford Rail Mk3s strike me as a good example - they should have sold like hot cakes but many won't buy them because the livery doesn't match their other stock (regardless of who is "right" or "wrong").  But they've taken that gamble and power to their elbow for doing so! 

The key thing though is no one is criticising Accurascale or their product - it is obviously fantastic and built to highest possible standards - indeed a few have expressed their desire for Accurascale to duplicate the other Mk1/2s to ensure a matching rake which speaks volumes about the praise people have for the company, but understandably Fran and the guys are being cautious (and I don't blame them!). They obviously have no control over what "the competition" do so lets just see what happens and help them by supporting their products and coming up with solutions to problems with other manufacturers issues that relate to this. 

I will be waiting the decorated samples with baited breath to see what they do about the thorny issue of livery (BR blue and NSE blue will no do spark debate whatever they do!) .

...and yes I have ordered several, and will probably be making a second order at some point... and then if 2cs follow (please!!) then well...! 

Bruce 

Mmmmm, the MK2c. Scottish modellers could finally get that CK coach. On the subject of the MK2b TSO, could it be done as a TSOT or is MK2c TSO needed?

Stephen.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, design8027 said:

Mmmmm, the MK2c. Scottish modellers could finally get that CK coach. On the subject of the MK2b TSO, could it be done as a TSOT or is MK2c TSO needed?

Stephen.

TSO(T)s are Mk2cs. I am very hopeful they will be announced as there already is an NIR 2c in the IRM announced coaches.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, design8027 said:

Stephen.

The roof of a Mk2c has a very different arrangement, a Mk2d style large cover at one end and and roe-vac or GM roof vents. The sides of the first half or so built had the same toilet window as the Mk2b, the second half had Mk2d style toilet windows. The Mk2c TSO(T)  used coaches with both types of toilet windows. An early style Mk2c TSO and  TSO(T) can be made from a Mk2b if you remodel the roof.

Brian.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Cheers

Darius

Nothing wrong with glossy deformed model people standing in puddles, as long as they're wearing their wellies!

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, turbos said:

The roof of a Mk2c has a very different arrangement, a Mk2d style large cover at one end and and roe-vac or GM roof vents. The sides of the first half or so built had the same toilet window as the Mk2b, the second half had Mk2d style toilet windows. The Mk2c TSO(T)  used coaches with both types of toilet windows. An early style Mk2c TSO and  TSO(T) can be made from a Mk2b if you remodel the roof.

Brian.

Older style toilet window:

4335229167_f5c7a44c69_c.jpgM5500 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Later style on a TSO(T):

14868782405_1df9aed3c6_c.jpgW6504_CJ_9-8-80 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

Well folks, ive just read through the last few pages and all i can say is that i WILL be buying these coaches from Accurascale. I can take on board most comments from people and have even had people critisize some of mine but at the end of the day, it is indeed important to remember that these are EP samples and will indeed be subject to slight alteration and amendement. My money (knowing how fastidious Accurascale are), is on their coaches being the correct height 

Enjoy the models and the wealth of detail these bring to us, detail i never thought id see im my lifetime 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/09/2021 at 15:50, MJI said:

Note that the 2C toilet windows are unique to 2C, the top is same height as a DEF and bottom as a _ABC/

post-14686-0-21956600-1429954242_thumb.jpg

Yeah I found out the hard way after grafting a window from a Lima mk2d into a mk2b and then thinking....actually that doesn't look right! I had just assumed they were the same dimensions as the later air con ones. Nope!

• Like 2