Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

16 hours ago, KDG said:

Just what Tom Scrut suggested top of this page.

I'd buy it for my mk2 railtour rake.

Season's Greetings to all. 

I had to grab my trusty RCTS 1978 "ref" off the shelf after looking at the posted photos.  The genny car 17105 nee 14105 was one of a small batch of Mk2b BFKs introduced in 1969. The book lists 14104 and 14106-14111 so 14105 had already been selected for Royal duties.

17102 nee 14102 was one of a batch of Mk2a introduced in 1967 running from 14056 to 14103

A subtle feature you will notice is the vestibule end doors of the Mk2b have the little pointy vents above the droplights whereas the Mk2a don't - also that the former have the wraparound doors. 

The RCTS book lists the Mk2a BFKs built AB and some were converted to VB - a useful reference to the modeller of vehicles of that era.     

Edited by Covkid
Correction
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 27/12/2021 at 15:13, jools1959 said:

As Irish Model Railways are doing the Mk2b BFK with a generator, I’m wondering if Accurascale would consider using the tooling to create Riviera Trains BFK 17105 in shabby blue or the recent repaint of blue/grey.

7D4D13DD-ED16-497B-BBA1-7D65C8754749.jpeg

6926E2C9-E767-47CB-920D-2C55322C93B3.jpeg

800C2A10-C89B-4612-92E8-1D425DC1CB0B.jpeg

6C6637FE-AC2D-42E8-AFC9-6EBB9B7409F7.jpeg

17105 is a unique vehicle. Looking at the tooling sample of the Irish generator, there's very little in common 

Jo

• RMweb Gold

Now that we are into 2022 is it time for the rest of the Irish Railway Models' announcements?   :)

20220101_120237.jpg.a5654633b2b7a6cbf92013c762af5143.jpg

(Screenshot from Accurascale Mk5 thread)

Edited by Colin_McLeod
Edited screenshot to remove confusing reaction buttons.
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• 2 months later...

Hi Fran, 

Not to be a pedant as I can see the handles by the doors are missing but I'm assuming the CDL lights are also some of the few things missing from these decorated samples?

The colours and stripe look right for the WCRC models so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on my pair!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, XChris said:

Hi Fran, 

Not to be a pedant as I can see the handles by the doors are missing but I'm assuming the CDL lights are also some of the few things missing from these decorated samples?

The colours and stripe look right for the WCRC models so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on my pair!

Hi Chris,

Correct, there are bits missing from these samples as you pointed out. Always worth remembering we show you "warts and all" progress, so from time to time on pre-production samples parts are missing that are not reflective of final product.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

As you may have seen at Model Rail Scotland (or will see this weekend at Ally Pally) we have received our first decorated samples of the Mark 2B, consisting of West Coast Railways for Accurascale and Railway Preservation Society of Ireland green for IRM. 

We are due samples of the other BR and NIR liveries in the next couple of weeks, and will share them with you thereafter, but in the meantime here are the two received so far!

1263287423_WestCoastRailways5487(b).jpg.289d93ea1c18b5889923e53ed27e2402.jpg

YT6X5289_retouched.jpg.21c93b6eb763d92b9e6c3b7ce4a851d5.jpg

447163854_YT6X5284copy.jpg.868b4e247a4d172204013cecac3ae603.jpg

You can order your West Coast and BR Mark 2 Bs via your local stockist or direct with us https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/mark-2-coaches and you can order your RPSI triple pack (with proceeds going to the RPSI) and the NIR packs direct via IRM here: https://irishrailwaymodels.co.uk/collections/coaches

Cheers!

Fran 

Those WCRC coaches are just lovely! Can’t wait to get them on my little layout. Now if we could have a WCRC 37 in batch 2…. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Gremlin99 said:

Now if we could have a WCRC 37 in batch 2

Whilst I like the idea of that in principle, Bachmann have done 3 so maybe there are other holes more need of filling?

I have two of those three and I expect that there will be plenty like me who won't be rushing to sell them to fund an AS one, whereas if there was another hole filled then it's not a case of recycling a livery/purpose on the layout as such. They don't fetch silly money on eBay. If I was picking one to do though I think 588 would be a good one, named and not done by Bachmann?

If I was choosing a present day 37 to make, I'd probably be choosing some/all of:

521 or 667 in their current BR green as I think a vintage livery on a present day loco has a draw. I'm conflicted as to which I prefer, I like the flat nose of 521 but I love that 667 is called Flopsie, has to be about the best loco name on the network. Do them as a twin pack!

LSL Class 37s at Fort William Locomotive Services Limited D6851 ‘Flopsie’ (Class 37667) and D6817 (Class 37521)

Phwoar!

37688 and/or 37240...

37688 Chester 28/2/22

37240 & 66750 at Eastleigh

In terms of a preserved one, 250 would be a good choice IMO as it is in dutch

37250 Bedale

My 2ps worth!

In hindsight this should maybe have gone in the 37 thread!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking very good indeed. Presumably it’s some sort of optical illusion but the gap under the carriage doors looks deeper than than in the images in the first post in this thread. I’d forgotten how much bigger the gap was on the 2Bs compared to the 2As.

Edited by brushman47544

These really do look great! 

Can’t wait to see the 80s/90s samples, just one problem and that’s they’re really going to show up how basic all the other manufacturers versions are (particularly inside) so you’re going to have to do a full range of Mk1s and 2s to go with them now! :-)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Whilst I like the idea of that in principle, Bachmann have done 3 so maybe there are other holes more need of filling?

I have two of those three and I expect that there will be plenty like me who won't be rushing to sell them to fund an AS one, whereas if there was another hole filled then it's not a case of recycling a livery/purpose on the layout as such. They don't fetch silly money on eBay. If I was picking one to do though I think 588 would be a good one, named and not done by Bachmann?

If I was choosing a present day 37 to make, I'd probably be choosing some/all of:

521 or 667 in their current BR green as I think a vintage livery on a present day loco has a draw. I'm conflicted as to which I prefer, I like the flat nose of 521 but I love that 667 is called Flopsie, has to be about the best loco name on the network. Do them as a twin pack!

LSL Class 37s at Fort William Locomotive Services Limited D6851 ‘Flopsie’ (Class 37667) and D6817 (Class 37521)

Phwoar!

37688 and/or 37240...

37688 Chester 28/2/22

37240 & 66750 at Eastleigh

In terms of a preserved one, 250 would be a good choice IMO as it is in dutch

37250 Bedale

My 2ps worth!

In hindsight this should maybe have gone in the 37 thread!

I don’t disagree but… with Accurascale I can pay over many months so I could afford a factory fitted sound version and the detail is likely to be a step up from the Bachmann ones. 

(I keep eyeing up a Bachmann one in my local model shop but I’m resisting atm!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gremlin99 said:

I don’t disagree but… with Accurascale I can pay over many months so I could afford a factory fitted sound version and the detail is likely to be a step up from the Bachmann ones. 

(I keep eyeing up a Bachmann one in my local model shop but I’m resisting atm!)

I aren't disputing that. All I was getting at is I expect there will be at least a couple of thousand WCRC Bachmann 37s (2 limited edtions and a main release), plenty of other locos that probably tick boxes for people without there already being a supply out there.

TBH I am looking forward to getting some coaches (Accurascale and Bachmann) to pull with them! At present they get to pull Hornby Pullman coaches about but that's not particularly prototypical I don't think!

I do wonder if there is any mileage in doing a definitive Mk2D after the 2b and c? Although the old Airfix models in the Hornby range were brilliant when launched, I was at secondary school when they first emerged and I'm 60 next birthday, so they are due a rethink.  Whilst Bachmann have done a good job on the 2F, so probably not worth tackling them, a 2d would be very useful, especially the BFK.  They also did get intermingled with 2b and 2c types pretty much all the way through the 70s and 80s and were adapted into micro-buffets and super mini-buffets (the six converted for the Cross London services to serve hot microwave ping meals).  It could be an air conditioned coach which is an open goal and not going toe to toe with the Bachmann models.

Before anyone piles in the 2D is a different beast to the 2e and f, and given the detail in these models, would stand out against Hornby's offers enough to attract sales, especially at these prices.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Before anyone piles in the 2D is a different beast to the 2e and f, and given the detail in these models, would stand out against Hornby's offers enough to attract sales, especially at these prices.

The Mk2D was also essentially an ECML beast so essential for authentic Deltic hauled formations.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 19/03/2022 at 15:55, wombatofludham said:

I do wonder if there is any mileage in doing a definitive Mk2D after the 2b and c? Although the old Airfix models in the Hornby range were brilliant when launched, I was at secondary school when they first emerged and I'm 60 next birthday, so they are due a rethink.  Whilst Bachmann have done a good job on the 2F, so probably not worth tackling them, a 2d would be very useful, especially the BFK.  They also did get intermingled with 2b and 2c types pretty much all the way through the 70s and 80s and were adapted into micro-buffets and super mini-buffets (the six converted for the Cross London services to serve hot microwave ping meals).  It could be an air conditioned coach which is an open goal and not going toe to toe with the Bachmann models.

That’s a great call - I’d be happy with a fleet of AS Mk2Ds and would be quite happy using them in lieu of E/Fs from the other lot to be honest!

The detail on the Bs is just gorgeous so having them do the Ds too would be amazing! :-)

Edited by Global
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

We really need a full matched set of BCDEF as so many similarities.

Mix Airfix 2D and Lima 2F clashes badly

I have more Airfix 2F than Lima as I am keeping my Lima for a WCML set with Jouef Mk3s

• Like 2
  • Agree 1