'56 stock

d00m

Just managed to get my hands on a reasonably priced 4 car '59 set in silver. Now I have to decide which of the three '56 sets to backdate it to.... If I'm lazy, it'll be the met cam set. I think DM 41000 was re numbered 1003 but I don't know what the Trailer, NDM and other DM were numbered. Does anybody know?

Now found my old notes and various documents.  From these, the Metro-Cammell 1956 Stock train numbering from mid-1960s was:

[A End]  1000-2000-9001-1001+1002-2002-1003  [D End]

Formation:  DM-T-NDM-DM+DM-T-DM

Worth checking other sources on the detail:  Full autocouplers fitted to the outer A End and D End DMs from mid-1960s for compatibility with 1959 Stock.  Also, 1956 DMs will have a 5-aperture marker light array on the lower offside cab front, modified to incorporate a red stabling light from the 1970s.

23 hours ago, Engineer said:

Now found my old notes and various documents.  From these, the Metro-Cammell 1956 Stock train numbering from mid-1960s was:

[A End]  1000-2000-9001-1001+1002-2002-1003  [D End]

Formation:  DM-T-NDM-DM+DM-T-DM

Worth checking other sources on the detail:  Full autocouplers fitted to the outer A End and D End DMs from mid-1960s for compatibility with 1959 Stock.  Also, 1956 DMs will have a 5-aperture marker light array on the lower offside cab front, modified to incorporate a red stabling light from the 1970s.

Thanks for that. I posted this elsewhere and got a comprehensive list from Brian Hardy. Still wading through photos...

Later the five marker light layout was altered to two high(ish) intensity headlights with the stabling light in the previous location. The inner ends also had the passenger alarm mods. Not pretty! 

I’d love to have a crack at the Birmingham train. The Gloucester units are far too different from a 1959/62 stock.