Can anyone identify this DC controller?

DCB

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, NinOz said:

Well it is certainly risky to try and sell.  If only for possibilities of liability.  Agree that decommissioning would be the best option.

In UK is it ok to solder mains conductor as in this unit?  I was told by electrical professions in Oz to only mechanically attach, crimp and to cover all joints with insulation.  The main reason given was melting of unsecured solder joints with fault currents and unrestrained conductors flopping about in the case.

From a point of view of Test & Tag testing, it is NOT a requirement to open the case to find out. The person/business building it, is supposed to build to the relevant standards.

Any testing is done from outside and as far as the mains is concerned, it comes down to is the plug and cable OK without damage? Is the power cable secured properly, with a grommet through the case? Does it test properly, Earth pin to case if not double insulated? Also Active & Neutral to Earth, high resistance? Plenty of other things to test, as discussed further above.

If in any doubt at any stage, don't pass it! Nothing should pass, if the tester isn't happy and yes it is their duty to tell the owner, that it doesn't pass. Some testers sabotage an item if it doesn't pass, that isn't a requirement. What is supposed to happen is a tag attached near the plug, that says it's not to be used, which legally stays on, until it's modified/repaired and now does pass.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, NinOz said:

Well it is certainly risky to try and sell.  If only for possibilities of liability.  Agree that decommissioning would be the best option.

In UK is it ok to solder mains conductor as in this unit?  I was told by electrical professions in Oz to only mechanically attach, crimp and to cover all joints with insulation.  The main reason given was melting of unsecured solder joints with fault currents and unrestrained conductors flopping about in the case.

Wiring to be soldered should be passed through a hole in the connector and wrapped around before being soldered.

Just tagging a cable to a connector etc. with solder was never acceptable.

Both items should have been tinned to make sure the joint doesn't end up "dry"

Edited by melmerby

Talking more of mains wiring, but I believe in the UK any inaccessible mains connections must be soldered or crimped, not screwed [1], That implies soldering is OK. The cables should still be mechanically restrained.

[1] No junction boxes buried in plaster. How many have found that little bodge after moving in to a house?

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Crosland said:

[1] No junction boxes buried in plaster. How many have found that little bodge after moving in to a house?

I did and found the Ring Main Wires had been twisted together and covered with insulation tape!

• RMweb Premium

I found a ring main running from a spur which already had some sockets on it, completely the reverse of what is permitted.

I also found a T&E cable under floor which was connected to the mains at one end with nothing but the live ends on the other.

I found it the hard way whilst reaching under the floor for something else! Fortunately nothing else of me was on anything conductive.