East Midlands Railway Class 158 783 vehicle numbers - does anyone know what they are?

andyman7

I'm tentatively planning a rebrand of a Bachmann Class 158 with EMT fleetnames replacing the East Midlands Trains branding. I know that 158 783 carries this variant making it a relatively easy change from the Bachmann set 158 773 but can't seem to find the individual car numbers for this set online - can anyone advise? (PS the photo is mine and no, when I took it I didn't note the numbers....)

IMG_20210422_131205_2.jpg

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I'm tentatively planning a rebrand of a Bachmann Class 158 with EMT fleetnames replacing the East Midlands Trains branding. I know that 158 783 carries this variant making it a relatively easy change from the Bachmann set 158 773 but can't seem to find the individual car numbers for this set online - can anyone advise? (PS the photo is mine and no, when I took it I didn't note the numbers....)

IMG_20210422_131205_2.jpg

The individual car numbers are 52783/57783.

• Thanks 1

General convention in unit numbers, certainly among the 156 and 2 car 158 fleets, is that the individual cars carry either 52xxx (accessible vehicle) or 57xxx (bike space vehicle). Xxx also being the unit number.

The 3 car sets follow the same principle with the centre car originally carrying the same xxx numbers as the set. I can't remember the first two digits which denote it as a centre car I'm afraid.

Now, however, things are rather mixed up, generally speaking the 52/57 designation still applies as far as EMR are concerned but some of ours were originally 3 car sets, the centre one having been taken and inserted into a Northern unit which then means the centre car number doesn't match with the outer cars.

Other operators have renumbered and re configured sets and allocated them unit numbers which don't necessarily follow the original convention. All this since privatisation, similar is now happening with the 170s EMR is getting from WMT, the centre cars of 3 car sets going into Cross Country units to make them 3 cars. 

Confusion reigns!!

• Like 1