Loco-hauled passenger workings into Bradford Interchange late 1980s

jonhinds

I’m interested to find out what loco-hauled passenger workings appeared at Bradford Interchange in the late 1980s (ideally around ‘87-‘89).

I gather there was a 47-hauled summer service to Paignton, and HSTs ran into the Interchange until ‘88 or so. What else am I missing?

When did Peaks stop heading services into the station? ‘86-‘87 seems right, but I’m not sure.

2 hours ago, jonhinds said:

Alternatively, are there any online resources for passenger timetables in the 1980s?

Check out the BR coaching group. It has numerous resources including WTTs and marshalling instructions.

https://brcoachingstock.groups.io/login?r=https%3A%2F%2Fbrcoachingstock.groups.io%2Fg%2Fmain%2Fmessages%3Fstart%3D6%3A2021%3A-60

• Thanks 1

In the late 80's I twice worked Manchester Victoria to York via Rochdale and Bradford Interchange stopping services with a class 31 and 4 Mk1s , this was in the period when DMU/Sprinters were in short supply. Red Bank had closed but we kept a 4 coach set on the old Exchange platforms at least one of which was still in NSE colours. There was a 17.00ish departure from Vic, first stop Rochdale then all stops to York which was a busy service so we didn't like to cancel it. I remember it must have been summer because it was still daylight at York as I ran round to return ECS via Castleford , Healey Mills and Huddesfield, the loco was in Railfreight colours but I don't have my diaries anymore so loco ID is unkown. The second occasion for me was a slightly later service and the only thing I recall was being relieved by a very upset old hand driver at Leeds. He'd not been told it was loco hauled! If I did these two trips they may have been others too.

One of our gaffers at Victoria was very adept at obtaining coaches for weeks at a time to cover the poor availabilty of both the old DMU's and the newly delivered Pacer/Sprinter fleet, things improved once the 158's came into service.

It's worth noting these loco hauled substitutions were very much a last minute thing, manpower was never an issue and control was only to willing to let the local management at Vic get on with running a service. It's probably the reason why the club trains returned to loco and stock soon after.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hello

The last loco hauled Cross country services I can find are from the Summer 1987 timetable

1O04 0753 SO Bradford Interchange - Poole - booked class 47 haulage 

1V27 2233 FO Bradford Interchange - Paignton - booked class 45 hauled to Bristol Temple Meads

In Summer 1988 there were only HST services as far as I know - weekdays had

0720 service to London Kings Cross (The Bradford Executive) and 1750 return (The Yorkshire Pullman)

There was also a 1M15 0754 to London St Pancras and 1E13 the 1855 return 

Saturdays only - 1V38 0627 Bradford Interchange -Paignton  and 1E43 the 1414 return 

Summer 1989 has the Kings Cross services running to/from Forster Square and the St Pancras services appear to have stopped

The link below is an excellent resource, not for timetables, but for haulage details, you can search by loco, date or headcode

https://www.railgenarchive.co.uk/sc/diarymenu.php

Hope this makes sense and is of some interest

Regards

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

On at least one occasion within your timeframe the North Trans-Pennine Liverpool-Newcastle loco-hauled services were diverted via Bradford Interchange for the day. I can't lay my hands on the book with the photos in, but it was probably a Sunday during the first year of the split Sprinter/loco-hauled timetable (from May 1987) when the remaining 'Generators' (47401-420) were allocated to the Trans-Pennines and the stock was in the TP variant of Provincial livery.

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1