XL sound decoders

JZ

Has anyone any experience of XL sound decoders?

For around £30 each, including speaker, about £50 with postage from US, I was wondering if they are worth a shot. Like a lot of US prototypes decoders, they are pre-loaded with 6 different prime mover sounds.

Thought it was worth asking here as they are US specific.

Edited by JZ

3 hours ago, JZ said:

Has anyone any experience of XL sound decoders?

For around £30 each, including speaker, about £50 with postage from US, I was wondering if they are worth a shot. Like a lot of US prototypes decoders, they are pre-loaded with 6 different prime mover sounds.

Thought it was worth asking here as they are US specific.

Can't speak to the specific decoder you refer to,  all but one of my locos has the regular Zimo M644D (IIRC) sound decoder.  The outlier has a regular Loksound sound decoder.  The performance of these is superb.  My layout is quite small and the trains are light (5 wagons or so) and run fairly slowly.   If you were to operate heavy trains at speed, an XL might be needed.  I'm pretty sure Zimo and Loksound both have XL versions.  The main question I suppose is the availability of US prototype sound files.

John

On 28/08/2021 at 14:31, brossard said:

Ah OK, I thought we were talking about high current capability decoders, also called XL.

John

I wasn't sure myself, except that Loksound XLs cost rather more than £30!!!

I've never heard or read anything good about MRC decoders. Or MRC anything, for that matter!! :scratchhead: :no:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brossard said:

Well, yes that is a clue of course.  I know MRC as a popular brand of DC controllers here.  I actually have one that comes in handy from time to time.

John

Is that a typo?

DCC surely.

John P