How to convert Airfix cattle to GWR?

• RMweb Gold

Not sure what the differences were, but the basic wagon was the same.  Possible; spoked wheels, different buffers,  different clasps and locks for doors.  Livery, obviously, or renumbering to W prefix if you are modelling a BR liveried ex-GW wagon.  It is essential in this case to ensure that you provide the correct BR liveried ex-GW cattle...

Your livery comment came while I was typing.  I can recommend John Isherwood's transfers for this job. HMRSPaul can probably help with numbers, or Ms P's site.

2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Different doors, wheelbase, brakes, slats in lower sides, axleguards, buffers.

See old Railway Modeller magazines  - the subject was comprehensively covered there.

... no, at this time of night, I'm not going to find out in which particular issues it was covered.

CJI.

Maybe my memory is failing but I have a vague recollection that the roof pitch might have been slightly different too, given that the Airfix wagon was of a standard BR design based closely on, but not a precise copy of, the GWR design, although by probably not so much as to worry about on a model.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bécasse said:

Maybe my memory is failing but I have a vague recollection that the roof pitch might have been slightly different too, given that the Airfix wagon was of a standard BR design based closely on, but not a precise copy of, the GWR design, although by probably not so much as to worry about on a model.

I think that you are correct in that.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I followed the MRJ article for mine, from memory sorting the slats was the worst part.  I had parts for 3 of them but didn’t fancy repeating it after the first!

if there is ever a second batch advertised id rather do the Warren Sheppard etched kit that was released last year 

• RMweb Gold

I followed the MRJ article for mine, from memory sorting the slats was the worst part.  I had parts for 3 of them but didn’t fancy repeating it after the first!

if there is ever a second batch advertised id rather do the Warren Sheppard etched kit that was released last year 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bécasse said:

I imagine this would only be a problem if there are BR and GW examples on the layout at the same time, if the difference is very slight.

• Like 1

Details of the differences were given in an article by Steve Banks in the September 2003 issue of Model Rail. He suggests the model body is a hybrid of the last GWR design and the first BR one. The article describes how he modified the kit and added detail. The author lists the numbers allocated to the BR wagons built at Swindon between 1951 and 1953.

Adrian

The B.R. standard cattle wagon was a Swindon development of the G.W.R. W12 van.  As mentioned above the main differences were in wheelbase, axleboxes/W irons, and roof profile.  A couple of years back I was attempting to interest a couple of our 7mm scale manufacturers in producing a model and put together a document describing these vans.  I'll attempt to attach the Word document rather than repeat it all.

Ray.

GWR & B.R. Cattle Wagon information..docx

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have ordered the two MRJs and downloaded the PDF

Thanks everyone

I currently have 4 BR to paint and a few more on low bids.

Aming for 2 or 3 late GWR rest BR.

Will be for Brocolli

• RMweb Premium

I found a decentish Cooper Craft W5 as well, transfers have yellowed so happy to strip and repaint.

I Thought I had one, also found a broken MOGO I am going to BRise as well.

• RMweb Premium

So the Airfix as is can do the BR and last GWR versions

Roof mods the prewar

CC the W5

But really need to use real photos to get them right.

For now will be 4 BR (W18), 1 late GWR (not sure which) and 1 W5

Although now both long out of print I’m afraid, a couple of references you might want to look out for are:

The 4mm Wagon Part 2, by Geoff Kent, which includes Cattle Vans; has a selection of images of BR and GW vehicles, and also describes Geoff’s work with the Airfix and Cooper Craft kits.

Also, British Railway Wagons Cattle & Brake Vans, compiled by G. Gamble.  One image of a GW W12 (in BR livery), two of BR 1/352’s and three of BR 1/353’s including a colour image of B894149, built in 1952 and already condemned in 1966.

References

1. The 4mm Wagon Part 2, General Merchandise Vans, Special Purpose Vans and Tank Wagons, Kent G, Wild Swan (Didcot 1995), pp57-79 for the whole discussion on Cattle Vans.
  2. Railways in Profile Series No 5, British Railways Wagons Cattle & Brake Vans, comp Gamble G, Cheona Publications (Chinnor) 1997.

Regards

TMc

03/09/2021

• Informative/Useful 1