Dinghams, buffer length

bluestag

So, Mr. Dingham insists that 7mm Dinghams be set to protrude (the hook) the same distance as the buffers, or half a mm less at the most.  12.5 or 10.5mm

I wonder why they can't protrude beyond the buffers?   Seems to me that all that will give you is a loose coupling.  Vehicles a bit apart, so as to speak.

My 4' Shunter is due for couplers, having proven that it runs like a champ and does not burn out its chip (another topic).   But I'm having trouble getting the buffers to set all at 12.5mm, one of the springs is a bit compressed.

Any other tips regarding Dinghams will be gladly snapped up.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, if you have the hook protruding past the buffer face you will find the loop on the mating coupling will bottom out when propelling so it won't lift out onto the latch when using a magnet under the track. I know, I have made hundreds of these things. The couplings make life much easier for shunting. I also fix them rigidly to the buffer beam as this allows better alignment.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, bluestag said:

Nick,

Thanks,  Hundreds of the things?    that's a lot!

Kevin

They can be addictive 'cos they work and look so much better that the alternative automatic couplers, especially in 4mm.

Cheers,

David