One of the weirder loco accidents - Staples Corner Oct 28, 1988?

1 hour ago, LMS2968 said:

By the looks of it, not much cutting was needed!

There are a few photos of the recovery on Flickr. Unlike a class 47 say, the 31s bodysides are not structural hence why the bodysides have distorted so much.

Having read further it was a disgruntled BR employee who released the handbrake,  he also derailed an 08 as well.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, 37114 said:

There are a few photos of the recovery on Flickr. Unlike a class 47 say, the 31s bodysides are not structural hence why the bodysides have distorted so much.

Having read further it was a disgruntled BR employee who released the handbrake,  he also derailed an 08 as well.

Did he get his job back?

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, steve1 said:

Boss - Why are you late for work?

Employee - There were a pair of 31s mating in the middle of the road…

steve

Not sure they're mating, but the bottom one is definitely f....d.  In it's precise engineering meaning.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Good job you didn't commute by car.  That junction's difficult enough without class 31s on the roundabout

IIRC it's a question of getting in the right lane early enough. Left for the M1, middle for North Circular East, right for North Circular West. 

At the time I was told that someone driving by heard a loud bang looked in his rear view mirror and saw a locomotive apparently fall out of the sky and into the roadway behind him.

He was probably thinking that is not something you see every day when the second one landed.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

I remember that place from years past, there used to be a loop from Brent east yard to Cricklewood shed run, round in a half circle, under the main-line. Last loco I can remember on that line was former MR 3F 0-6-0T 47202 not long before it moved to Manchester, makes me feel old!!!??:sungum:

I remember at the time thinking the number on the blue class 31 looked familiar, a few months later I was back at my parents. Some years earlier I'd renumbered an Airfix class 31 to 31202, it was buried in a box of railway stuff in the attic.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 29/08/2021 at 03:53, steve1 said:

Boss - Why are you late for work?

Employee - There were a pair of 31s mating in the middle of the road…

steve

A bit awkward to explain to children

”well you see jimmy, when two diesel locomotives love each other…”

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

On 30/08/2021 at 11:43, bike2steam said:

I remember that place from years past, there used to be a loop from Brent east yard to Cricklewood shed run, round in a half circle, under the main-line. Last loco I can remember on that line was former MR 3F 0-6-0T 47202 not long before it moved to Manchester, makes me feel old!!!??:sungum:

I think that one of the uses/functions of that loop was turning Garratt locos, as well as allowing locos running to and from the recess sidings etc to cross the mainline to Cricklewood shed without conflicting with the through traffic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Couple of screenshots courtesy of Google Maps. Damaged head shunt and railings, and two buffer shaped holes filled with concrete. Screenshot_20210901_084051_com.google.android_apps_maps.jpg.8c2d0bcfae5622507f39cd4232e0941a.jpgScreenshot_20210901_084104_com.google.android_apps_maps.jpg.79ee027fe31ffaed664718e1288547b4.jpg

Some of the guys at work knew the chap who did it, as they went to the same college together when they did their apprenticeships. He was known to have a bit of a screw loose at the best of times, so weren't surprised when they heard what he'd done! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I presume he then became the recipient of a Form 1?  

Actually, did the much mentioned and dreaded "You're fired for being an idiot" Form 1 actually exist or is it just railway folklore?

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
11 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Probably worth resurrecting this thread as the recovery and cause are the subject of an article in the latest issue of Traction Magazine (Issue 276).

Certainly an interesting read; I can't imagine a similar recovery being mounted these days.