Union Pacific Yellow

Marmight

9 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Hmmm, I spy a couple of Alco RS series....

Yes, I’m rather partial to Alco RS’s, there are several RS 1’s and 3’s still in service.

1951 is currently just a shell, awaiting a new motor to be fitted.

3981C2A3-B9F9-4B00-854A-2BBD9331306F.jpeg

EA659E65-C8F0-4955-806E-2B3E58DE3207.jpeg

3B9EF015-B000-436B-B7F5-5A8A5172F4F1.jpeg

9EFD9E26-69B1-4152-8DF2-E5A4F0F2AA8D.jpeg

35FFF818-06A4-48CB-B497-156D73631F2E.jpeg

Edited by Marmight
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

20 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

A thread, or topic, about your layout. :good:

Like mine:-

Great, so I just start a topic or thread and post away? I’m not that well up on forum etiquette.

it will be an interesting tale. Until Jan 2021, it was a British industrial line catering around a cement works...changed a little bit since...I will start one off very soon, classic car business taking precedence at the moment. The pics are a sort of before and after. Even I’m amazed at how far the layout has progressed in such a short time.

228F98A9-59D4-40DE-82B5-960FEFBE40EE.jpeg

DE3A053A-0C1E-45D2-94B3-76BD2F6D145C.jpeg

617007FE-8280-481C-B605-3357D55C4755.jpeg

E659A6DF-7903-4D70-9F10-DD423561044A.jpeg

9615DC90-C3AE-41FD-9DC3-338409153E01.jpeg

1F9084B5-67EC-4653-A80E-A1F3A1499190.jpeg

BB532FA1-8E07-4BA1-98A1-48C74D1362A5.jpeg

5FF8CC52-849C-40D7-A1D4-4DBC80218B3D.jpeg

F3E34817-7EFC-41CE-A35C-F17751B61D4B.jpeg

91896E9A-59F7-48F8-97E9-5F48517A8CBB.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marmight said:

Great, so I just start a topic or thread and post away? I’m not that well up on forum etiquette.

Yep, pretty much. You post, we drool.... ;)  there aren't many UK-resident US O Scale layouts - the more the merrier!! :sungum:  you'll get used to the banter, it's all good natured stuff.

Your conversion of your layout from UK Industrial to US Short Line looks to be an interesting story in itself, to start with.

Interesting you have both Weaver & Atlas RS3s - the Atlas version has hoods that are too tall, so the cab centre windows are too shallow, and not nearly square enough. The Weaver shell is more accurate & has better representations of the handrail posts, but has molded grab irons.

I have an Atlas RS3 mainly because it was a too-good-to-miss price on Ebay - the Atlas RS1 is far better, NOT being in the Trainman range helps for a start!! I note you have an RS1 as well.  :locomotive:

If & when they all have DCC sound, the Alco racket will be amazing!! That's one of the main attractiins for me - they sound like a bucket of bolts in a washing machine, about to fall apart. See the rather wonderfull Battenkill Railroad for details....

• Like 2

Ah yes, DCC and sound. Well I wouldn’t be without it...the RS engines sound very like the old Leyland buses I used to drive for Ribble Motor Services in Liverpool where I grew up. 

Currently, there is are two RS engines and a GP 38-2 waiting to be fitted with decoders. The sounds US engines make was a major factor in my converting to US outline. Once I’d stumbled on Virtual Railfan and Jaw Tooth videos on YouTube, I was hooked. The sheer power, size and sounds they make, not to mention the horns are too fantastic to describe. Add in the incredible value for money that rollingstock costs and I couldn’t go back to UK outline again. TBH, I loved the old Tri-ang Transcontinental series of trains, but my parents had to buy me British outline...none of that foreign muck here!!!. I’ve never forgotten them and I still like seeing them come up for sale on eBay, but I don’t buy, no I have the next best thing to reality with O scale DCC sound.

I will start a description and history of the layout soon. That’s a great video link btw, thanks for posting.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Marmight
  • Like 2

On 11/09/2021 at 23:05, F-UnitMad said:

Yep, pretty much. You post, we drool.... ;)  there aren't many UK-resident US O Scale layouts - the more the merrier!! :sungum:  you'll get used to the banter, it's all good natured stuff.

Your conversion of your layout from UK Industrial to US Short Line looks to be an interesting story in itself, to start with.

Interesting you have both Weaver & Atlas RS3s - the Atlas version has hoods that are too tall, so the cab centre windows are too shallow, and not nearly square enough. The Weaver shell is more accurate & has better representations of the handrail posts, but has molded grab irons.

I have an Atlas RS3 mainly because it was a too-good-to-miss price on Ebay - the Atlas RS1 is far better, NOT being in the Trainman range helps for a start!! I note you have an RS1 as well.  :locomotive:

If & when they all have DCC sound, the Alco racket will be amazing!! That's one of the main attractiins for me - they sound like a bucket of bolts in a washing machine, about to fall apart. See the rather wonderfull Battenkill Railroad for details....

Just goes to show, Alco's don't have to chuck out vast amounts of black smoke

• Agree 2

Just for the record, those covered hoppers wouldn't be carrying cement.  They are way too big.  Cement generally travels in small 2 bay covered hoppers with small hatches on the top and gated  outlets on the bottom.  Just as the British outline cars are small covered hoppers, the same concept applies with American outline cars.   The cars spotted would normally carry plastic pellets or powdered resins.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dave1905 said:

Just for the record, those covered hoppers wouldn't be carrying cement.  They are way too big.  ........     The cars spotted would normally carry plastic pellets or powdered resins.

Or corn products, as it says on the hopper sides. ;)  

The photo gives the flavour of operations, though. :good:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dave1905 said:

Just for the record, those covered hoppers wouldn't be carrying cement.  They are way too big.  Cement generally travels in small 2 bay covered hoppers with small hatches on the top and gated  outlets on the bottom.  Just as the British outline cars are small covered hoppers, the same concept applies with American outline cars.   The cars spotted would normally carry plastic pellets or powdered resins.

The British layout was a cement works, the American one is Flour. Same color, different consistency I think...I do appreciate the comments though as being in the UK, these things are not generally known. 

21 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Or corn products, as it says on the hopper sides. ;)  

The photo gives the flavour of operations, though. :good:

...and it’s the flavour that we try to model. I have quite a few smaller covered hoppers that I now know would not fit in with the Flour theme, so I am grateful for the information. I’m trying to get it right, being 4000 miles away doesn’t make it very easy though...