Bachmann/ Hornby Magazine 45596 “Bahamas”

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Sitting here at the Nene Valley Railway photographing 45596 “Bahamas” and made me think of the limited edition of the loco done by Hornby Magazine in heavily weathered condition just prior to withdrawal from BR.  Was this loco ever offered by Bachmann apart from the limited issue?

2B14F738-B817-4B43-8332-5041D44E71C0.jpeg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Sitting here at the Nene Valley Railway photographing 45596 “Bahamas” and made me think of the limited edition of the loco done by Hornby Magazine in heavily weathered condition just prior to withdrawal from BR.  Was this loco ever offered by Bachmann apart from the limited issue?

It was done as 31-153, unweathered.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/63324/bachmann_branchline_31_153_class_5xp_jubilee_4_6_0_45596_bahamas_in_br_green_with_late_crest_/stockdetail.aspx

As it happens, there’s one on ebay at the moment.

Edited by No Decorum
Additional information.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

One of Bachmanns first models as a company, not long after 45596 had completed its second overhaul, which had taken nigh on 10 years in the early 1990’s

The model is very good, but not DCC ready (but easy to convert). They suffer from axle rot but is repairable and models are cheap to pick up.

The nice thing about this model, is the silver rods and wheels.. ordinarily these are a pain on those earlier Bachmann models as they were incorrect and should be black..but in preservation Bahamas has them polished making the model more representative.

it is also worth pointing out the correct longer boiler for Bahamas is on these pre-2007 models. My Bachmann 45596 Bahamas is now approaching 30 years old and still going.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Do the current (very good) Bachmann tools allow for Bahamas to be modelled (in terms of correct firebox)?

Surely worth a new release given the re-emergence of the real thing now

It has, shall we say, been noted that Bachmann’s current tooling doesn’t cover the long firebox version but Bachmann hasn’t done anything (that we know about) yet. The Parallel Scot was announced, then stopped. :cry: Perhaps Bachmann thinks that there isn’t enough interest in the LMS.

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

It has, shall we say, been noted that Bachmann’s current tooling doesn’t cover the long firebox version but Bachmann hasn’t done anything (that we know about) yet. The Parallel Scot was announced, then stopped. :cry: Perhaps Bachmann thinks that there isn’t enough interest in the LMS.

At this stage I would say Bachmann should do a minor retool on the Jubilee, include wheel bearings and tender pickups, and add a different boiler tool to allow for the long-boilered variety.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps Bachmann thinks that there isn’t enough interest in the LMS.

The boiler on the post 2007 is the short firebox, however, tantalisingly, it is a separately removable piece.

Given how many Jubilees they have made, I wouldn’t consider them a poor seller, they've made 57 in 30 years…, thats more than Hornby have made Bulleids.

My guess is its about sweating the short firebox tooling to the max, before repeating the long box version..but they only need do a boiler/firebox tooling.

Edited by adb968008

10 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

At this stage I would say Bachmann should do a minor retool on the Jubilee, include wheel bearings and tender pickups, and add a different boiler tool to allow for the long-boilered variety.

I’d be all for that but I don’t think what you’ve suggested would count as a minor retool.

9 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I’d be all for that but I don’t think what you’ve suggested would count as a minor retool.

The way i see it is a new tender chassis would be needed, plus new bottom tool to the loco chassis. Then new boiler tool for long firebox. All the rest of the tooling including cab, running plate, gears, rest of loco chassi block, tender body, wheels, bogie, motion, detail parts would remain as they are

Bahamas has a short firebox. So it can be made from one of the current Bachmann models. A double chimney would be needed if you couldn't get your hands on one of the Hornby Magazine models of 5596.

Here's comparison photos i quickly found on google comparing Bahamas and Leander. Zooming in on both will show Bahamas, with the short firebox, has 5 washout plugs on the drivers side while Leander, with the long firebox, has 6 on the same side. Also the short firebox finishes at the start of the middle splasher while the long one finishes in the centre of it.

images (8).jpeg

45690-leander-at-rawtenstall-on-the-east-lancs-railway-march-2018.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Hornby might swoop in and take the longer firebox Jubilee? They already have the chassis (Rebuilt Scot/Patriot), could retool the tender (have already done the chassis for the Princess/Duchess) and could then add the original Royal Scot  plus the two rebuilt Jubilees. And with their curent penchant for 'one-offs' they could also do Fury and British Legion.

Lots of named loco's there and plenty of potential for colourful livery's. Obviously will studiously ignore all of the preserved versions ;) ........

• Like 2

Yes, we have no Bahamas!

I've always wanted one since I first saw it in the 1970s at Dinting in shining crimson lake and then I managed to get a footplate ride when it was at Southport in the late 1980s doing the shuttles to Manchester.

Must keep an eye out for a suitable donor. Red or Green though?

Jason

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, jools1959 said:

If you want to model “Bahamas” in the present day, you need a welded 4000 gallon tender, which I think originally came from “Alberta”

5781CF8C-D349-4A09-8E98-AC4A9D480BF6.jpeg

I know many people like to weather their locos for realism, which is fine, but I like to see them like that. That is a beautiful shot – thanks for posting.

It is also useful information for Bachmann. Ahem! Nudge!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been offered a Bachmann 45596 “Bahamas” with a non working split chassis.  Is it possible to dump the original chassis, then fit the body to one of Bachmann’s more recent DCC ready chassis?  I think it would mean buying a complete new model, but hopefully it would be a case of just swopping the body shells over or is it more complicated than that.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve been offered a Bachmann 45596 “Bahamas” with a non working split chassis.  Is it possible to dump the original chassis, then fit the body to one of Bachmann’s more recent DCC ready chassis?  I think it would mean buying a complete new model, but hopefully it would be a case of just swopping the body shells over or is it more complicated than that.

Haven't done it but I should imagine its possible but there will be a bit of 'fettling' required. Chassis (for both old and new versions) readily available second hand on ebay for much less than the cost of a complete loco. Hornby Scot or Patriot chassis should also fit with fettling too 

If you can get a rebuilt Hornby Scot / Patriot chassis to fit, that's miles better for performance - power, speed, traction included.

I do like the hint of valve movement on the latest Bachmann chassis 'though.  Don't know why it's not commonplace as it was with H-D / Wrenn - admittedly the linkages are much finer - read fragile!

Al.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

If you can get a rebuilt Hornby Scot / Patriot chassis to fit, that's miles better for performance - power, speed, traction included.

I do like the hint of valve movement on the latest Bachmann chassis 'though.  Don't know why it's not commonplace as it was with H-D / Wrenn - admittedly the linkages are much finer - read fragile!

Al.

Though be careful buying Hornby Scot/Patriot chassis as they can suffer the dreaded Mazak rot. Bachmann chassis is ultra reliable (and perfectly powerful enough for my needs) 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The Rebuilt Scot chassis has different wheels to the Patriot and Jubilee chassis..

subtle, but the counter balances on the wheels are different. The Patriots themselves varied.

02B1A936-B2D0-4AD0-B3FD-2423BD6D9D18.jpeg.67b64b205ebdd0e078e6de6b0a32c563.jpeg248ABDFC-168D-4114-8F0C-B28C243B0C94.jpeg.46ea712f118c0d580a3ac45285b2d783.jpeg

Both Hornby (post 2000’s) and Bachmann (c1991 onwards) have catered for this difference in their toolings.

Edited by adb968008