whether to weather

having read through / downloaded several painting and weather guides ie :

AK Interactive's How to Use product guides, Life Colour's How to Use.., and AV Vallejo's Product Guide Step by Step (no doubt others are available)

I tried some of the techniques on my take of a GN Creosote tank wagon - ( it was originally an Airfix/GMR 20 ton Shell Tank wagon)

Weathering might not be ever-bodies cup of tea but rule 1 applies !

27.jpg.2416999ae6d498c7873116f43ebd9c7d.jpg40.jpg.2e33193fb9467d56c3cb34679c1a066c.jpg

• Like 2

There other guides out there, Martyn Welch's The Art of Weathering springs to mind.

The effect is quite subjective and I would say that if you like what you have done then that's it.

There seem to be a number of techniques out there and I have mine.  My late friend first introduced me to the art quite a number of years ago and I have more or less stuck with that.  There has been evolution along the way.

My method involves black enamel wash, acrylic earth & black, an airbrush and powders.

John

• RMweb Gold

Whatever techniques or references you choose I would recommend some research on a specific project. My first principle is to normally use a photo reference for any weathering project....it actually makes life a lot easier.

When you get a bit of experience you can do light "generic" weathering on stock based on your previous projects and experience.

Chris Hopper

Edited by Gilbert

1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

Whatever techniques or references you choose I would recommennd some research. My first principle is to normally use a photo reference for any weathering project....it actually makes life a lot easier.

When you get a bit of experience you can do light "generic" weathering on stock based on your previous projects and experience.

Chris Hopper

I've always found that pictures of stock for my era (1960s) is almost always B&W.  What colour there is tends to be poor quality.  As a result I don't find pics to be all that useful.  However understanding how road dirt gets onto wheels, running gear and solebars is useful.  Roofs in the steam era were pretty dirty from soot and ash  settling.  Coach sides tended to be fairly clean so an application of black wash to highlight detail is effective.

There are pictures of weathered stock in the threads below.

John

• RMweb Gold

I must have been lucky as I've quite a lot of photo references for BR steam era in colour. (Mainly Somerset and Dorset but I can use these as proxies for other projects)

I think B&W is useful as it can certainly give an indication of levels and density of weathering.

This is a useful site

https://davidheyscollection.myshopblocks.com/pages/david-heys-steam-diesel-photo-collection-53-rail-cameraman-greenwood

Edited by Gilbert

Certainly they are not useless and always good to have pictures of your wagon or loco to hand.  When I build a model, I always search out photo references.  Maybe I've been doing this long enough that it is second nature to me now.

John