RENUMBERING A Bachmann WD 2-8-0

8 hours ago, Strathyre said:

I have a War Department green Bachmann WD 2-8-0, with yellow War Department cab side and buffer beam numbers which I wish to renumber. I can't seem to locate any replacements, can anyone suggest anything that might do?

Thanks

Paul

Try Sheet BL161 at the Cambridge Custom Transfers website.

CJI.

The livery with the 21st Army Group shields was used on engines built in early 1945 and so is not typical for the class. Perhaps the impending defeat of Germany made possible this extravagance.

More typical was the same size lettering, with no shields and the War Department arrow between W and D on the tender.

The buffer beams and buffers should be black, and not red, as on the Bachmann model. The painting diagram shows lettering as WD followed by the number.  The lettering could be 2, 4 or 6 inches tall dependin on date and location of building.

The very first lettering was only 2 inches tall, so an apparently unlettered locomotive is authentic.

thanks guys. I intend to model it as 77206, a photograph of which is in existence of it on the West Highland Line in 1944. You can't really see the cab side numbers as the loco looks filthy but the buffer beam number is pretty much visible and looks about the same dimension-wise as the ones on the Bachmann loco

Thanks

Paul

1 hour ago, Tony Cane said:

The livery with the 21st Army Group shields was used on engines built in early 1945 and so is not typical for the class. Perhaps the impending defeat of Germany made possible this extravagance.

More typical was the same size lettering, with no shields and the War Department arrow between W and D on the tender.

The buffer beams and buffers should be black, and not red, as on the Bachmann model. The painting diagram shows lettering as WD followed by the number.  The lettering could be 2, 4 or 6 inches tall dependin on date and location of building.

The very first lettering was only 2 inches tall, so an apparently unlettered locomotive is authentic.

is green the correct colour for the locos?

Yes, the colour used is similar to two post war colour imagies of WD 2-10-0 locomotives.

Attached is a deliberately small image of one of the pictures in the Colour Rail collection, Ref WD 5.

The other is a a rather dirty 2-10-0 with the 21st Army Group Shields, Ref WD 4.

WWII slides WD 5 small.jpg

Edited by Tony Cane
wrong picture

• 4 weeks later...

Very slightly off topic, ive acquired a WD 2-8-0 (cant find a 2-10-0 anywhere) i'm keeping the number but changing the name, do i want 2mm / 3mm or 4mm nameplates - measurements mean nothing, this is my return to model railways after a 30 year gap, i never changed anything before (not properly) im older and wiser and just need a leg up, as im planning on changing a few identities, but this is the most important one......

its going to honour a friend (well known to most in railway circles) if all goes well then i shall reveal the name once its done.

s-l16002.jpg

4 minutes ago, Holby Railway said:

Very slightly off topic, ive acquired a WD 2-8-0 (cant find a 2-10-0 anywhere) i'm keeping the number but changing the name, do i want 2mm / 3mm or 4mm nameplates - measurements mean nothing, this is my return to model railways after a 30 year gap, i never changed anything before (not properly) im older and wiser and just need a leg up, as im planning on changing a few identities, but this is the most important one......

its going to honour a friend (well known to most in railway circles) if all goes well then i shall reveal the name once its done.

s-l16002.jpg

4mm.

CJI.

• Like 1