Devonport Dockyard Naval Railway

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if the line into Devonport Dockyard (Naval base) is still in use?

From Google Earth views there are two locos parked on a loop, and the line from the main still seems intact.

I know the flask traffic has ceased, but does anything else come in or out by rail?

TIA.

• Informative/Useful 1

Why do you think the flask movements have ceased?

AFAIK the whole system is operational in connection with the business of support to the RN nuclear submarine fleet.

This will include disposing contaminated waste from decommissioned submarines. Hence the main-line connection will be required for many years to come.

Also internal movements around the site are required.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks pb.

I assumed as the subs there were all decommissioned, that there would be no need for the flask traffic.

Do you have any further info on how often the line is used ?

• Like 1

The cross over has been removed between the up and down mainlines between Keyham and the junction to the docks. 

I've no idea if this is permanent or not. The trains could still reverse at St Budeaux Victoria Rd of course, but the removal of the crossing 6 months or so ago is a little worrying perhaps....

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Thanks pb.

I assumed as the subs there were all decommissioned, that there would be no need for the flask traffic.

Do you have any further info on how often the line is used ?

Detailed information about operations here is subject to strict controls, hence any answer will always be vague.

The movement of loaded flasks to Sellafield will be sporadic and when required. 
However, route knowledge has to be maintained by DRS crew, so an occasional loco will come this way. Sometimes it will bring a flask wagon, for dockyard staff to maintain skills.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, 125_driver said:

The cross over has been removed between the up and down mainlines between Keyham and the junction to the docks. 

I've no idea if this is permanent or not. The trains could still reverse at St Budeaux Victoria Rd of course, but the removal of the crossing 6 months or so ago is a little worrying perhaps....

I’ve attempted to find out when this plain-lining was done, but my source hasn’t been able to find it in the weekly notices.

As reversal on the Gunni branch is simple, then that seems a logical step.

Operating the crossover from the Ground Frame was always a challenge, as it seized up due to non use.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The OP is because my lad is at HMS Drake awaiting his first deployment, and is currently covering duties at the Drake gate, which is over the line into the dockyard, and he was curious to find out if he'd see the line in use.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not that this is a comprehensive search, but the following appear to have run, the first co-incidentally exactly 12 months ago;

01092020 0Z69, 05.39 Crewe Coal Sidings to Devonport Royal Dockyard (13.04)

01092020 0Z70, 14.00 Devonport Royal Dockyard to Bridgewater FD (16.47)

according to a TOPS list worked by DRS 66122* & 66425

and then;

08092020 6Z68, 05.39 Crewe Coal Sidings to Devonport Royal Dockyard (13.27)

09092020 5Z69, 07.59 Devonport Royal Dockyard to Crewe Gresty Bridge (15.52)

according to a TOPS list worked by DRS 66303 & 66304

* on long term hire to Direct Rail Services from DB Cargo.

Edited by 4630
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

With the old flask, the two barrier coaches and the flask wagon entered the yard and was hauled by two dockyard 4 wheeled Planets, on exiting the yard the formation was top and tailed. On occasions a 37 or two brought the ensemble down to the "exchange sidings".

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

If Portsmouth get the Nukes if Scotland gains Indi, (as mentioned today), then maybe that will be the close of such services at Demport? Another nail in the Yard's box?

P

Gosh, that’s a lot of hypotheticals!

I will not deal with Scottish Independence here. However as far as our nuclear submarines are concerned, there is a world of difference between base porting of vessels and refit/upkeep/decommissioning. The latter will be at Devonport (full stop) and hence the transfer of contaminated waste to storage (currently Sellafield), will continue by rail. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, pb_devon said:

Gosh, that’s a lot of hypotheticals!

I will not deal with Scottish Independence here. However as far as our nuclear submarines are concerned, there is a world of difference between base porting of vessels and refit/upkeep/decommissioning. The latter will be at Devonport (full stop) and hence the transfer of contaminated waste to storage (currently Sellafield), will continue by rail. 

The move away from Scotland for the Defence Fleet  is what the Government have intimated and announced this morning pal. They, of course, should always be trusted with the truth and so you can be certain this is going to happen...........or maybe just forget it, as I do.

Phil

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Mr Duck,

I've not heard the news, but rumours circulating here for the last year or so, is that if the nucs pull out of Faslane, then they are expected to go to Falmouth, as being the closest in compatibility.

The fallout would probably be huge if the nimby's thought that nuclear submarines were to be base ported in Pompey.

Refit and refuelling will continue to be Devonports.

• Like 1