Ashlands (formerly Hornby Magazine layout in a weekend challenge layout of 'Ashland')

SRfanJV

20 hours ago, woodenhead said:

So the operation is a series of matched pairs of trains that cross in the station to end up back in the same place they began?

Not quite, for the purpose of getting all of my stock out to check what rakes I could create, I put 8 rakes facing one way at one end and 8 the other. 

In reality, when it goes to exhibition, I will only have 14 rakes at the back so that either a half or full road is free to ensure that there is always space to run trains in.

At least one of the freight sets will be out on the front of the layout in various sidings to allow shunting to occur. 

The fiddle yard roads will be set up so that 4 roads are set up for down direction running and 4 in the up direction. The fiddle yard operator will ensure that the trains are moved up each road to allow space for next train to enter as well. 

Thanks, 

Josh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One small update is that I have upgraded the the down platform waiting shelter. 

20230819_082912.jpg.ef8446c96c2e7018330aa6334cbb7ca2.jpg

When first built, the layout had what I think are Hornby resin Settle & Carlisle Station buildings and waiting shelter that have been painted into SR green.

Recently Kernow/Bachmann have released a prototypical NCR waiting shelter. I was going to scratch build one, but this model is so nice that there just isn't any point in doing so. 

Screenshot_20230917_093214_Gallery.jpg.0c273981e6c15bb53a5e2e8385ed0c01.jpg

One of the large jobs coming up is to build a prototypical NCR Station building to match it.

Mind you, what is the bet that as soon as I have built it, Kernow/Bachmann will release a model of an NCR Station building. Its the only one of the typical NCR buildings that they have yet to produce.....

• Like 4

Ashlands is finally starting to look like a layout again instead of a dumping ground due to the recent work that has taken place. 

20230917_220024.jpg.10f9cbed8dbc74ab3a29c6c8dda34259.jpg

I have placed a lot of the detailing and structures back on the layout after giving it a good clean and a hoover.

20230917_221056.jpg.1cb7aae8b7b43bb6ea40986e3e8c8e11.jpg

Hopefully, more progress can be made on the scenery as the winter approaches. 

20230917_220005.jpg.106aea48ff2b92592c044d4663c55779.jpg

Although not strictly NCR, I gave my Britannia and Std 5 a run which have just been fitted with loco specific sound files. These are from the excellent Locoman Sounds Range. Both locos are installed with a double sugar cube speaker and a Thunderchuff speaker wired in series. 

Edited by SRfanJV
  • Like 7