1st radius curved turnouts

Bisto

I've found several Peco Setrack code 100 1st radius curved turnouts amongst track I last used about 20 years ago. I don't have the packaging or any printed product information and I can't find anything about them online except that Peco dropped them from the range at some point because they were unsuitable for new locomotives being produced by Bachmann and Hornby.  I'm thinking about possibly using a couple of them to make a shunting puzzle. They could, I suppose, also be used to take a branch or siding off the outside of a 1st radius curve. But I would like to know how they fitted in to the Setrack geometry and in particular how to use them to transition from first to second radius and what other track pieces would be needed for this. I appreciate that this probably doesn't work very well, but I'm only using short locomotives and short wheelbase rolling stock. I can't even find the ST-xxx numbers so any information at all about this product would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Bisto
Spelling correction

• RMweb Premium

A bit of searching found the numbers - ST-242 & 243.

Some info in this topic:

I think for the geometry you'd need to find a Peco catalogue from the 1980s or earlier, I haven't found anything online yet.

• Like 1

Perhaps they were only on sale for a short time. Shown is the 2nd radius Setrack turnout with the much smaller first radius one for comparison. The inside curve is perfectly congruent with a first radius Setrack curve.

IMG_20210902_190858135.jpg.058db54020a6816b637f4687e391ee80.jpg

On 02/09/2021 at 10:42, meatloaf said:

Ive never known any 00 gauge 1st raduis points. Since i was little theyve always been the standard Hornby point size which is 2nd radius.

N gauge set track points are first radius tho.

Peco Setrack curved points were 1st radius for many years, I remember buying them in the 1980s for just this purpose as the Hornby ones were 2nd radius. The era of 'minimum 2nd radius' models dates from around 1999 so I would imagine that they lasted until then.

• Agree 1

I think I've worked out how to do a crossover between first and second radius using the older type of curved turnout (ST242 and ST243). The sketch shows the ST numbers of the track components needed. Unfortunately I don't have all the pieces so I haven't been able to actually assemble it.

First radius curved crossover.jpg

Edited by Bisto
Picture restored
  • Like 2