Zimo decoders

Hopefully this is “allowed”…..

If you’ve ever pondered trying a Zimo DCC decoder, I’d suggest you ponder no more

I recently started converting my (some quite old) decoders to Zimo, 16 converted at the last count, and I’ve yet to be disappointed. They’ve been installed in a wide variety of models, and they’ve all turned out brilliantly

No idea how Zimo do it, but their back EMF algorithm is so smart, there is no need to mess with the start volts setting, or any other cvs designed to get “sticky” mechanisms moving. Every loco I’ve tried just creeps along at speed step 1

I’ve also found that I can really ramp up the acceleration and deceleration settings for improved realism, without sacrificing controllability. You can program one function button to be a “brake” key, and another for “shunting” (which reduces top speed and cancels out acceleration/deceleration)

With their £20 decoders delivering all the functionality most of us will ever need, I don’t think you can go wrong. Personally, I’ve been buying from Coastal DCC as I love their returns policy, which says (in part) “We know that at times as modellers you purchase items with the intention of installing them at a later date, however you later discover that they become surplus to requirements. In this instance if you send the goods back within 365 days after delivery, in an unused condition, with their original unsealed packaging and so long as the item is still offered as a current product by the manufacturer we will refund you, or provide you with a credit for the value of the goods. “. Though, as yet, I haven’t needed to take advantage of it!

I accept that other decoders may provide similar functionality or similar performance, but in all my years of DCCing, I’ve never been so impressed

Phil G

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, philg said:

I’ve also found that I can really ramp up the acceleration and deceleration settings for improved realism, without sacrificing controllability. You can program one function button to be a “brake” key, and another for “shunting” (which reduces top speed and cancels out acceleration/deceleration)

I have that enabled on my sound decoders (Loksound too). I wondered if I could enable it on my M600 series ones but have never actually looked into it. Do you need a Zimo programmer or is it easy to do with JMRI?

I have similar good experience to you regarding performance. They seem to drive any motor nicely without requiring any CV tweaking.

8 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I have that enabled on my sound decoders (Loksound too). I wondered if I could enable it on my M600 series ones but have never actually looked into it. Do you need a Zimo programmer or is it easy to do with JMRI?

The "half speed" and "disable/turn down momentum" buttons are CV changes, been in Zimo decoder firmware for 15 years or more.  And supported in JMRI for almost as long. 

For the brake key, assuming the Zimo decoder firmware is reasonably recent (several years), then it is in JMRI (or two manual CV changes).    

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled across an awesome Zimo decoder catalog at http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/Decoder-Catalog_2017_July_English%20for%20web_komp3.pdf

This is the first place I’ve seen the whole Zimo decoder range listed in an easy to understand format. It also told me (which I hadn’t noticed before) that ALL Zimo decoders are functionally equivalent. No more compromising on features to get a specific interface or size

Thanks Zimo

• Like 1