Foamboard baseboard - peco point motors

Hi Folks

This is my first posting here. I am building a small oo gauge tuning fork layout using 5mm foamboard for the baseboard. I would like to fit a peco point motor to the LH point however i am not sure if the formboard could cope with constant operation of the motor. Anyone any idea how to secure a point/motor in place using a foamboard base.

Thanks

Johnzx

This same question was asked some time ago.  As long as the point motor is firmly attached to the point it should be fine. Attaching the motor to the foamboard and driving the point through some form of linkage won't end well

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

You could glue a small piece of plywood to the foamcore for the point motor to be mounted on, and then do a linkage to the point.

However, with a layout so small, might I suggest that you operate the point using something like the wire-in-tube method. With this, get a piece of brass wire just about the right size to fit in the hole in the points tie-bar (I think it's 0.8mm diameter), bend the wire so that it goes through the hole, and then run the wire out to the edge of the layout, either underneath the board, with something to hold it in place, or, as I have done, cut a channel in the top of the foamcore for the brass wire to run in, and then cover it over with masking tape.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1