Powsides sales 2021

Paul H Vigor

Hi,

I've just been browsing the Powsides website. I put together an order (the first time I've ordered from them). I was planning to pay by debit card. Powsides seems to arrange such payments via Paypal. Everything seemed to be going OK until my bank sent me a fraud warning - they sent me a security code to confirm and make the payment, but warned me not to use it. Has anyone else had a similar experience when ordering online from Powsides?

Many thanks,

Paul

12 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Hi,

I've just been browsing the Powsides website. I put together an order (the first time I've ordered from them). I was planning to pay by debit card. Powsides seems to arrange such payments via Paypal. Everything seemed to be going OK until my bank sent me a fraud warning - they sent me a security code to confirm and make the payment, but warned me not to use it. Has anyone else had a similar experience when ordering online from Powsides?

Many thanks,

Paul

I get that all the time from my bank when I try to pay something they don't see regularly.

This is the Halifax one. Other banks are similar.

Like all other UK banks, we’ve added extra security checks when you use Online Banking. You will soon notice these changes when you shop online.

These checks will happen when you:

Shop online

Sign in to Online Banking

Add a new payee

If you do any of these things, you may notice an extra step in security. This is because you’ll need to use two different ways of proving who you are. Your password and memorable information count as one way. The other way could be using your Mobile Banking app, getting a passcode sent to your mobile, or us calling your landline.

It’s important that you’re ready for these extra steps, otherwise you might not be able to make your purchase or sign in.

https://www.halifax.co.uk/aboutonline/changes-to-online-banking.html

The bold one is the relevant one. If you haven't used that company, it gets flagged up as fraudulent.

Ironically I got the check and it refused me when I tried to buy a phone which they are telling me I need!

Jason

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crosland said:

How did you fund the PayPal payment? Was it set up to direct debit from your bank account?

It was a 'guest' payment via PayPal, I believe? I don't have a PayPal account set up. The Bank's wording of the text I received was rather alarming I have to say!

Banks posting such warnings can't help POWsides run their business?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information