1970s/80s Container lorries - who makes them?

aureol40012

Hi all, have searched the group and can’t find a thread on this.

I have a rake of the excellent Bachmann FFA/FGA container wagons and want to build a yard with prototypical period lorries for onward transport. I can’t find any that match the bill, does anyone make them RTR?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Hi all, have searched the group and can’t find a thread on this.

I have a rake of the excellent Bachmann FFA/FGA container wagons and want to build a yard with prototypical period lorries for onward transport. I can’t find any that match the bill, does anyone make them RTR?

For the 70/80s unfortunately no.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As Merfyn says, no RTR, but if you are prepared to consider kits, there are a number of cabs & trailers by both :

Road Transport Images  https://www.roadtransportimages.com/

and Knightwing Models http://www.knightwing.co.uk/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?next=0&cart_id=1630556523.106&product=OO-HO_Road_Transport_Kits

Edit: the Knightwing kits are 1:72 scale.

Edited by Moxy
Added info about Knightwing kits
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

From what I remember, at the beginning of the period there were relatively few skeletal or extendable trailers, most smaller operators were still using flat-deck trailers fitted with Twistlocks. Tractor units were still of the two-axle sort, mainly UK-built; Seddons, Seddon-Atkinson (from about 1976) and Guy J6 were the main types used by Freightliner themselves, whilst others used Fords, Bedfords, Leyland Group wagons with Ergonomic cabs. The Continental builders were beginning to appear.

Many of these tractors appear in the Oxford range, and could probably be repainted; vinyl decoration had yet to become commonplace, so second-hand  vehicles might be be in original fleet colours, but with lettering painted over.

I used to do a lot of hitch-hiking in the mid-1970s, and then worked for a commercial vehicle factor and several jobs 'stuffing' containers, so I got to see a lot of vehicles close-too.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Oxford make an excellent DAF 2800 / 3300 which is ideal for this era. They also make the Scania 110 for 70's stuff, they were mostly gone by the early 80's though. Loads of Stobart Dafs going cheap at present, remove the curtainsider body and make a flatbed trailer with container locking points

@JCB 3C no.2 definitely - the skelly is a gap in the market, the oxford 5 axled one aside which is a tad modern for the period

Edited by LaGrange
  • Informative/Useful 1