Question about 8 pin loksound v5 early Bachmann Class 20

B McG

Hi All,

The reason for this post is for some advice as a newbie to fitting DCC sound.  I'm about to start the process of converting all of my locos  to DCC sound and this is the first one I've attempted.  I recently bought a decoder & speaker from a well known shop and on opening the package was initially somewhat puzzled.  

I didn't expect to see three extra wires and after consulting the Loksound guide, the pink and light green are Aux 3 and 4, and the purple one is Aux 2.  I suspect Aux 3 and 4 are for a stay alive, however I'm unsure what Aux 2 is used for.  Can anyone advise me on what these are for?  (also see pictures attached)

If Aux 3 & 4 are for a stay alive, would the best thing to do would be to heat shrink the ends of all three wires prior to installation?

Finally a thanks to this forum in separate topic for the handy tips in how to shoehorn a speaker into a early Bachmann class 20.  Very handy that, at least I'm part the way there!

Cheers and thanks

Bryant

Loksound 5.jpg

20210902_165213.jpg

Edited by B McG
Typos

• RMweb Gold

The "aux" connections are additional function outputs, not Keep Alive connections.

Labelled as "power" as opposed to logic level function outputs, they can drive LEDs etc. directly without amplifier circuits (although resistors will be needed for LEDs as usual)

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

41 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

The "aux" connections are additional function outputs, not Keep Alive connections.

Labelled as "power" as opposed to logic level function outputs, they can drive LEDs etc. directly without amplifier circuits (although resistors will be needed for LEDs as usual)

Andi

Much obliged, thanks for the assistance!

Cheers

Bryant