Narrow gauge workbench

Enfys_Rainbow

Hello all, 

I previously posted this in the Kitbuilding section, but here seems more appropriate. 

I'm working on this "Faun" kit from Smallbrook Studios which utilises a chassis from a Bachmann Bill/Ben loco. 

NG1

One part that dissatisfied me was the stepped footplate as it made the cab door too high. This also highlights the motor, which is very visible in the cab.

I've built a replacement footplate from plastic sheet, which looks better. My plan was to obscure the motor with a driver figure. This arrived yesterday and a test fit proves the concept well.

NG6

NG8

I'm probably going to replace the cab sides with some scratch built ones as the original kit parts are very thick.

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 7

Cab sides now rebuilt using plastic sheet - the originals are too thick to be realistic. 

NG11

Due to the original stepped footplate, the cab rear supplied in the kit is too short. It's been extended, again with plastic sheet.

NG12

I'll need to create my own cab roof as it's now narrower than the kit intended and I inevitably broke the Modelu whistle. 

• Like 6

Loco progress has paused temporarily while I await delivery of a few items. Meanwhile I've done some more work on the coach.

First job was to add some strapping to the ends - this adds some detail but also hides the rather obvious butt join between the end and side parts.

I also lowered the buffers around 1mm to better match the loco. This involved plugging the original holes with some plastic rod and then redrilling the holes.

NG18

I've also added new handrails as I really wasn't impressed with the plastic ones.

NG19

• Like 9

Bit more random progress. Thought I'd have a go at scratchbuilding a structure as have never done this in 7mm scale before.

I also wanted to try scribed surface texture as opposed to embossed sheet which I use in 4mm scale.

There's nothing new here, it's simply foamboard construction and DAS clay. 

NG30

NG29

NG28

The window is from York Modelmaking and the door knocked up from plastic sheet. Both need frames and other details to finish. 

• Like 8